Home Forums Movies Had Kathleen Turner been nominated for Romancing the Stone in 1984

Had Kathleen Turner been nominated for Romancing the Stone in 1984

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Milk Money
Brayden Fitzs..
  • RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you think she’d have won? She won the Globe for Comedy. I’m not sure if they were really that eager to award Sally Field a second time so soon but there wasn’t really an alternative.

All the others had just won except for Judy Davis. Davis had mixed reviews, Redgrave had the controversy, Spacek was really a supporting performance and didn’t have much to do. So that left Lange and Field and Field was in the more popular film.

I think Turner may have stood a chance although the action adventure genre doesn’t usually get acting awards.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Lorde I’d hope so

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Sally Field still would have won given Place In The Heart’s nominations in the other top categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t Lange turn down Places in the Heart?

I like Field, but Kathleen would have made a pretty cool winner that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Lange dropped out of The River to do Country so Sissy Spacek took over. (They were not happy with her for doing this apparently because if you watch The River you’ll notice the family farm cow that is sick at the beginning is rather disrespectfully named Jessica.)

I like Field too. She just got bad spin because of the “you like me” speech.

I saw Places on the Heart on the big screen last year and it really is a good movie and I’d say she’s the best of the five nominees. I like Turner in Stone though too so it would have been a hard choice for me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Milk Money
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t know that about The River lol. I do remember hearing, however, that Jessica was not too fond of losing to Field that year. Look no further than the YouTube awards clip lol.

Re Kathleen, I’m probably the only one who thinks she should have also gotten nominated in ‘94 for Serial Mom, same year Jessica won ironically. However, Linda Fiorentino is the rightful victor, but that’s a whole nother conversation.

Kat more than likely came in a strong second in 1986 after a string of misses, but the Academy wasn’t going to pass up a historic win for Marlee Matlin.

ReplyCopy URL
    ChargerFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Re Kathleen, I’m probably the only one who thinks she should have also gotten nominated in ‘94 for Serial Mom

You’re definitely not the only one!

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam_Malone
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think so. Today’s Academy’s make-up might have given Turner a nomination and a potential win but Places in the Heart was way too up the 80s Academy’s alley to not award it (I don’t think this sentence is grammatical, but you get my point).

I think her peers were never thrilled with Turner. She seemed cold and arrogant and to me it always felt as if they treated her that way as well. Turner was popular with critics though and for a period of time with the audience as well.

While I admit that giving Field a second oscar wasn’t all that high on the Academy’s bucket list, I suppose in retrospect people will say the same thing about Hilary Swank.

She won for a good performance in an immensely popular film, a film that seemed to have been made for the Academy.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think so. Today’s Academy’s make-up might have given Turner a nomination and a potential win but Places in the Heart was way too up the 80s Academy’s alley to not award it (I don’t think this sentence is grammatical, but you get my point).

I think her peers were never thrilled with Turner. She seemed cold and arrogant and to me it always felt as if they treated her that way as well. Turner was popular with critics though and for a period of time with the audience as well.

While I admit that giving Field a second oscar wasn’t all that high on the Academy’s bucket list, I suppose in retrospect people will say the same thing about Hilary Swank.

She won for a good performance in an immensely popular film, a film that seemed to have been made for the Academy.

Turner did seem to have a lot of conflicts during her career (Burt Reynolds, Nicolas Cage) and she was even threatened with a 25 million dollar lawsuit over the sequel to Romancing the Stone that she didn’t want to do. Oddly she wanted to do The Money Pit instead in Shelley Long’s role. That always seemed like a bad movie to me. Not sure why she wanted that part so much.

In 1984 though I don’t think she’d had many conflicts yet (I just finished researching her for a Top 15 films article that will publish on her birthday.)

But I agree. Places in the Heart was a big film. I think it might have even won Best Picture had Amadeus not been around. If only Sally hadn’t made that you like me speech her second Oscar probably would be looked back on much less controversially.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  RobertPius.
    ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Sadly they probably would have gone with Field seeing her film was up for Best Picture and won Screenplay. Turner would have been such a better winner though. But her film was seen as more of a summer blockbuster not an Academy film.

Just watched Romancing the Stone the other night and it’s still so fun and Turner so great in it. A lot of those great actresses of the 80s got their Oscars- Streep, Lange, Spacek, Field, Foster, Huston, Cher, Davis, Wiest, etc. Sarandon and Hunter eventually got theirs. Some legends finally won like MacLaine, Page, and Tandy. But it pains me that Close, Pfeiffer, Weaver, Turner, and Winger left their hey day without getting an Oscar. 1984 would have been a great time for Turner. In a perfect world instead of their lesser Oscars in stead of Field in 1984 and Foster in 1988, Turner and Close win those years. Weaver obviously over Marlee. And I would have put Michelle in supporting in 1989 to get the Bird Lady’s award.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Andrea.

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Lange dropped out of The River to do Country so Sissy Spacek took over. (They were not happy with her for doing this apparently because if you watch The River you’ll notice the family farm cow that is sick at the beginning is rather disrespectfully named Jessica.)

I like Field too. She just got bad spin because of the “you like me” speech.

I saw Places on the Heart on the big screen last year and it really is a good movie and I’d say she’s the best of the five nominees. I like Turner in Stone though too so it would have been a hard choice for me.

The cow anecdote is kinda amazing lol.

Never really liked “Places in the Heart,” but of the five nominees, Field would be the default winner, I guess. Turner would have been an interesting choice, but such an unlikely one, as it’s like nothing the Academy had awarded to that point or since.

ReplyCopy URL
    DramaKing
    Participant
    Topics:

Lange was offered both Places in the Heart and The River, she chose to develop and produce a story about current day farmers. I love her performance in Country, but I often wonder how she would have done with Places in the Heart? Would she have won her 2nd Oscar so early?

I like Kathleen Turner more in Romancing the Stone than I do in her Oscar nominated turn in Peggy Sue Got Married. I never found her convincing in that role and the movie was a bore.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

Lange was offered both Places in the Heart and The River, she chose to develop and produce a story about current day farmers. I love her performance in Country, but I often wonder how she would have done with Places in the Heart? Would she have won her 2nd Oscar so early?

I like Kathleen Turner more in Romancing the Stone than I do in her Oscar nominated turn in Peggy Sue Got Married. I never found her convincing in that role and the movie was a bore.

Lange seems too sophisticated for Places in the Heart. That character is really someone who never really had to take care of herself beyond that era’s housewife responsibilities. The whole movie is about Field learning to take care of her family and even run the farm. Lange would have seemed too strong imo. You’d know she could handle running a farm at the beginning.

I wonder if Meryl Streep turned down Places in the Heart. Robert Benton had made her a star with Kramer Versus Kramer. (but then she did Still of the Night for him which is one movie she always points to when asked if she ever gave a bad performance.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

Redgrave had the controversy, Spacek was really a supporting performance and didn’t have much to do.

While I agree Spacek didn’t have much to do in The River, Redgrave is more of a supporting role in my book as there is another female character who is way more prominent throughout.

I guess it was just a bad year for female roles all around, even the other Golden Globe comedy nominees are kinda lackluster like Shelley Long.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

While I agree Spacek didn’t have much to do in The River, Redgrave is more of a supporting role in my book as there is another female character who is way more prominent throughout.

I guess it was just a bad year for female roles all around, even the other Golden Globe comedy nominees are kinda lackluster like Shelley Long.

I haven’t seen The Bostonians in a long time. Redgrave could have had a smaller role but I guess in the 80’s big stars went in lead and lesser knowns in supporting. I haven’t seen Shelley Long in Irreconcilable Differences in a long time either but I’d sort of like to knowing now that it is about Peter Bogdanovitch/Polly Platt and Sharon Stone I guess is playing Cybil Shepard. It was kind of a behind the scenes look at the making of The Last Picture Show and the affair that broke up that marriage but it got caught up in the gimmick of the kid divorcing her parents. I kind of remember Shelley Long actually being pretty good in the film.

I also thought Mia Farrow should have been nominated for Broadway Danny Rose. That was such a transforming performance. She’d never played a role even close to that before.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.