Home Forums Movies Hardest category to predict at 2020 Oscars?

Hardest category to predict at 2020 Oscars?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Anthony 🐜
Eddy Q
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Marcus James Dixon
    Topics:

For me, the hardest Oscar category to predict this year is Best Visual Effects. There are two Best Picture nominees (“The Irishman” and “1917”) and three effects-heavy blockbusters (“The Lion King,” “Avengers: Endgame” and “Star Wars”). I can honestly see this one going five different ways, ugh!

What is the hardest category for you to predict at the 2020 Oscars?

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Best Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari v Parasite v The Irishman…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

Best Animated Feature is extremely hard to predict this year. Missing Link pulled a Golden Globe win right out of nowhere, Klaus got so much love at the Annies (not to mention a TON of passion from fans everywhere- personally, I find it slightly overrated), Toy Story 4 is the Disney favorite and won CC and PGA, and How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World has only one more chance to win its franchise an Oscar. Honestly, it’s a tossup at this point.

Oscars 2021: I support Denis Villeneuve (Dune), David Fincher (Mank), Willem Dafoe (The Card Counter), and Glenn Close (Hillbilly Elegy).

Movie-lover overall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Filopj
    Topics:

I believe that Best Picture is the hardest to predict mainly because everyone that wins is a potential stat buster:

Frontrunners:

-1917 (No Acting or Editing nom, last movie to win was The Grand hotel in 1932. Editing snub works in its favor because of Birdman, however not so much the acting snub as the Actors Branch is the largest of the Academy)

– Parasite (No acting nom and a foreign film, would be the first foreign film to ever win Best Picture and most likely International Feature)

– Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (No editing nom, last movie to win without editing was Birdman in 2014. However, it was made to look one shot)

On the bubble/Likely Upsetters:

– Joker (No DGA, last movie to win was Driving Ms.Daisy in 1989 and (I believe only, correct me if I’m wrong) the only win to win without DGA)

– JoJo Rabbit (Has all the main Guild noms (PGA,DGA,SAG,WGA), but no Directing nom. However, movies like Green Book and Argo have won without it (but won PGA).)

– The Irishman (Has all the main nominations and Guilds, but after losing almost every precursor award show, it would be a surprise if Irishman won BP)

Longshots Possibilities:

– Marriage Story ( PGA, WGA, and SAG(Acting). Also missing Editing and Directing. Don’t have a specific stat on this, but I would think it’s quite rare to win BP without those two noms)

– Little Women (PGA, WGA. Same case as Marriage Story, only without SAG)

– Ford v Ferrari (PGA, SAG(Acting). Fewest nominations of the bunch and the least likely without acting, directing, or screenplay. Would be the upset of the year if it won).

This is info I’ve gathered over the past couple of weeks but obviously there will be other stats missing, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

Animated

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tooner
    Topics:

Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

Original screenplay, Animated film, and Best song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

The shorts as usual

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

For me, the hardest Oscar category to predict this year is Best Visual Effects. There are two Best Picture nominees (“The Irishman” and “1917”) and three effects-heavy blockbusters (“The Lion King,” “Avengers: Endgame” and “Star Wars”). I can honestly see this one going five different ways, ugh! What is the hardest category for you to predict at the 2020 Oscars?

The Lion King and Star Wars are not winning this. Period.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Best Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari v Parasite v The Irishman…

The Irishman is out of this. It’s really between Parasite and Ford v Ferrari.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

The Lion King and Star Wars are not winning this. Period.

The Lion King might just because of the scoop of what the VFX had to do for this film.

Agree about Star Wars though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

For me it’s animated. I have TS4 right now but I could see it being anything considering there hasn’t been a unanimous winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

The Lion King might just because of the scoop of what the VFX had to do for this film.

The scope and what else? The film is basically just a glorified animated film and even the least observant Oscar voter can catch onto that. There’s no humans in the movie to counterbalance the digital creations and underline their achievement. Plus, the movie has been criticized for the non-expressions on the faces, which is arguably worse than the Robert De Niro CGI in The Irishman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emil Petrov
    Topics:

For me, the hardest Oscar category to predict this year is Best Visual Effects. There are two Best Picture nominees (“The Irishman” and “1917”) and three effects-heavy blockbusters (“The Lion King,” “Avengers: Endgame” and “Star Wars”). I can honestly see this one going five different ways, ugh!

What is the hardest category for you to predict at the 2020 Oscars?

I can see this category go 4 ways as I beleve Star Wars is out of the running, because of bias against the film.

Lion King is the most inovative in it’s CGI with the virtual reality filming of the film, but it has the minus of no compositing with real elements.

Avengers has all it needs to win. Practical, CGI, Mo Cap and it is the highest earning film of all time. Plus it is very well received.

Irishman can win bacuse it is BP and Scorsese. The effects in my opinion are not worthy for a win.

1917 had amazing practical and CGI that you can not even detect, plus it is BP frontrunner.

it really is very hard to predict.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

Original Screenplay and Film Editing.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.