Home Forums Movies HBO Max and Warner Bros. will go full on STREAMING in 2021

HBO Max and Warner Bros. will go full on STREAMING in 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
David
ENGLAND
  • Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

lol and some folks were acting like box office would be back in the fall…and then in the winter…like there isnt a raging global pandemic going on. At least we got some vaccines out now in UK and soon in US but still dont think that will be enough to save box office for 2021.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Warner Bros executives today woke up and said: “Screw it, today we want to kill the theatrical experience forever”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Side note but the way this is going to coincidentally help The Flight Attendant and I Hate Suzie’s TV awards campaign. We love to see it.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

This is the killshot that I’ve been expecting for a while now. If this works as well as both I and Warner think it will, it’s very likely that all of the studios start doing the same thing with their streaming services, I think theaters will still exist in some form, for people like us who want to see these movies in the theater once it is safe, but they will be a secondary source of revenue from now on, and the primary source will be the streaming services. The theatrical industry as we know it is pretty much dead, and will never be the same.

And let’s be honest, this was a long time coming. American audiences have been shifting from theaters to streaming services for a while now, which is why we’ve seen so many big-budget box office failures over the last several years. The pandemic obviously accelerated everything, but this scenario was inevitable ever since Netflix became huge. We here on these forums are the minority now. Most people don’t want to go to the theaters to see a new film unless it is a Marvel, DC, or Star Wars film. That large majority will be thrilled by this news. Despite the annoyance of having to subscribe to all of these streaming services, it’s still cheaper for a typical family of 4 to pay $15 to see a new film as many times as they want for a month than for them to pay $40 to pay to see a film once in a theater. Not to mention, you can watch multiple films in one month of a streaming subscription, which saves twice as much money. So this move is also pretty pro-consumer.

I’m honestly not sure how I feel. It’s a bit bittersweet, I guess, but as long as theaters still exist in some form in the future, I’ll be okay. At the very least, I’m willing to accept that this is the future of movies from now on, and we’re just along for the ride at this point.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

One thing that I am in belief in is that once we get out of this COVID-19 mess, people will miss theaters and they will slowly comeback.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Theaters won’t be dead. A newly released movie in Japan is about to become the highest grossing of all time there. Netflix was always there before the pandemic, but people still went to the movies because it’s a good hangout place and they can watch new releases.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

This was inevitable, b/c the future is streaming/VOD, whether people like that or not. It’s just happening at an accelerated pace due to covid-19. That’s life. People will adapt and move on.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

Not some of you being so narrow minded as to think America is the only country. I’m in Australia and we’re back up and running and sometimes don’t record any locally acquired cases in a day. It’s frustrating to have our cinemas suffer because another country couldn’t do the right thing. Cinemas losing people is going to hurt restaurants that rely on them for extra foot traffic and that’s going to have a larger effect on each area. Im really hoping this isn’t a long term solution because the thought of one day only being able to see films in my loungeroom is absolutely depressing. This is the worst news to wake up to!

FYC:

BEST ACTRESS — CAREY MULLIGAN
    BEST ACTOR — RIZ AHMED

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not some of you being so narrow minded as to think America is the only country. I’m in Australia and we’re back up and running and sometimes don’t record any locally acquired cases in a day. It’s frustrating to have our cinemas suffer because another country couldn’t do the right thing. Cinemas losing people is going to hurt restaurants that rely on them for extra foot traffic and that’s going to have a larger effect on each area. Im really hoping this isn’t a long term solution because the thought of one day only being able to see films in my loungeroom is absolutely depressing. This is the worst news to wake up to!

Side note but It’s interesting because whilst not many people are going back to cinemas in the UK (I haven’t been yet because we’re literally in a mess with Covid) there is still quite a significant demand for them but people are not going because they don’t want to see Emma. for the gazillionth time.

That’s actually why Mogul Mowgli (an indie film following an Asian rapper starring Riz Ahmed) has performed quite well here. Or St Maud.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

So if it’s same day and date for cinema… does this mean that these films are Oscars ineligible?

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

“Cinema is officially dead” i don’t think this has anything to do about cinema, and all to do about Covid.

Like, aren’t you people thinking? What are distributors supposed to do? USA just had over 4 million cases confirmed in the last month and you think theaters should open? And i’m not even from the US and i couldn’t care less about how movies are distributed since i’ll end up downloading them from a torrent.

I think Warner did what they could thinking on the long term, they know Covid is not going away in a blink of an eye and there is a huge possibility of spending at least half of 2021 struggling with Covid, so to me they are just getting ahead and good for them for being realistic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Stop this “streaming is the future” and “it was already happening before COVID” bullshit. The ONLY reason Warner is doing this is because of the pandemic. Endgame just became the highest grossing movie of all time last year. It’s an industry that made 42 billion globally in 2019. Movie theaters were in big business before 2020 and the only reason they are so fucked is because of COVID.

Chinese theaters are back to pre pandemic levels. That anime film is just about to become the highest grossing movie of all time in Japan. People want movie theaters the way they used to be. Let’s just wait until this goddamn virus is over.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

As a New Yorker, (where movie theaters have been closed this whole year and are likely to remain closed for the majority of next year) I am selfishly very happy to hear this news.

RIP AMC and Regal.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

I can guarantee Netflix, Amazon, and Disney are trying to buy the theaters. They know theaters will come back!

HBO might have won this battle, but the war is not over. (Unfortunately, it is a war between all these companies and we are the receiving the rewards.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

So if it’s same day and date for cinema… does this mean that these films are Oscars ineligible?

I always thought day-and-date was Oscar-eligible even before the pandemic, and that only films released for home viewing before theatrical were not eligible. Though I’m not 100% sure about this.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.