( +3 hidden )
June 11, 2018 at 1:46 pm #1202563348
Toni Collette is brilliant. I’ll be shocked if she’s snubbed. But Alex Wolff has a scene that stunned me so much I almost had to go out to the lobby for a minute. Those who have seen it know the scene I’m speaking of. His emotion feels so real it’s almost unbearable to watch.
Yes. I almost never walk out of theaters, but I almost did with that scene. It felt unbearable.June 12, 2018 at 5:47 am #1202563826
^LOL!June 12, 2018 at 9:15 am #1202563905
Ok so I have many thoughts on this one. SPOILERS
1) That ending from when he woke up to the very end was insane. In a good way.
2)The actor who played the father was horrible.
3)Ann Dowd was great.
4)How did she not open the boxes earlier and go through the stuff then?
5)How did she miss the symbol in attic? My parents can tell if a coffee can is not in the same place it was yesterday and if a bag in the attic was moved from where it was 10 years ago. Just my life?
6)Slightly confused how the tree house was that large and could hold an adult all night or a large group of people.
7)The directing was top notch.
8)This was the best horror movie I have seen since the Purge Election Year.
9)Slight script problem I noticed but people may not have: If the kid broke his nose like that they have to by law call an ambulance.
10)Toni Collette is great and Oscar worthy but Alex Wolff was the MVP for me.
My grade: A+June 12, 2018 at 9:44 am #1202563939
I know a lot of people didn’t like the ending but for some reason I loved how different it was.June 12, 2018 at 11:10 am #1202564027
The movie wasn’t THAT great. But it was good enough. I also think it was a bit long.
Alex Wolff really was the MVP here. Toni Colette was amazing but she had some moments here and there where I did’t feel she was very good. Mainly reactions and scary faces.
But it was scary, tense and very enjoyable. “That scene” in the car was pretty amazing.June 14, 2018 at 12:42 am #1202565180
My reactions (spoilers)
1) Holy shit
2) What the fuck
3) don’t drive high
4) Never trust Ann Dowd
5) Toni Collete and Alex Wolf are 100% Oscar nom worthy
6) Idk why I already think this but if Michael B Jordan gets more attention than Alex Wolf for supporting actors I WILL lose my shit
7) The slow burn is phenomenal and tense and so effective, but looking back I really think the scariest part of the movie was the car scene, nothing really topped that
8) Ending was pretty solid, I’m not sure why the backlash (like what was a logical ending people were looking for)
9) Loved it overallJune 22, 2018 at 10:42 am #1202571418
I love lists:
1. Didn’t live up to the hype for me, but I thought it was still a well-made film.
2. Alex Wolff was incredible and completely Oscar-worthy. I don’t know what other young actors has that much emotional range. It was impressively impressive and realistic.
3. Toni Collette was good, but she did have her moments where she wasn’t convincing me. Her “Oscar-clip” HAS to be that dinner scene.
4. I want a prequel about the demon-cult, now! I also want a sequel focusing on Wolff’s character post-film.
5. Wish they invested more time in the beginning building up the characters, as I would have felt more emotionally invested in them later on.June 25, 2018 at 9:24 pm #1202573393
Pretty disappointing film. It never realized its full potential, and the ending was eye-rollingly ludicrous. Toni Collette was aces throughout and MVP, but she felt way out there in terms of lead actress Oscar viability. Oh well.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.