Home Forums Movies Honorary Oscars 2018

Honorary Oscars 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Chris Beachum
keithw
M: The Original
  • keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought there was already a thread for this but searched and couldn’t find one. Anyway, I am thinking we found out who the recipients were of last year’s Honorary Oscars in September…..is that correct? I would like to read your thoughts about the possibilities for this year.

ENGLAND
    Participant
    Topics:

Harrison Ford
    Liv Ullman

My top two choices for the moment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

A person is put forward by a governor from their own branch (there are only three per group). Keeping that in mind, there are some interesting possibilities.

Alfred Molina just joined the acting governors (replacing Tom Hanks). His first movie was “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” Could he want Harrison Ford?

Whoopi Goldberg just joined last year and was the one who pushed the worthy Donald Sutherland. If she goes for someone she knows very well, how about Billy Crystal? Bob Hope received a couple of honorary Oscars for hosting so often, and Crystal is second behind him in number of ceremonies. I could also see her pushing for Cicely Tyson.

Laura Dern is the third acting governor, and I’m not sure who would be her top choice. Would it be too crass to put forward her own father Bruce Dern?

I could see one of the directors (Susanne Bier, Kimberly Peirce, Steven Spielberg) going for David Lynch since he has had a much higher profile in the past year (albeit on TV). Other possible directors could be Ridley Scott, Peter Weir or maybe Brian De Palma (one of Spielberg’s best friends from the 1970s).

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

We think they are meeting on September 4 and will announce later that week.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

The one with 5 decades of real industry award recognition and the #1 movie of this century according to critics, David Lynch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aunt Peg
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see one of the directors (Susanne Bier, Kimberly Peirce, Steven Spielberg) going for David Lynch since he has had a much higher profile in the past year (albeit on TV). Other possible directors could be Ridley Scott, Peter Weir or maybe Brian De Palma (one of Spielberg’s best friends from the 1970s).

Spielberg would more likely push for Brian de Palma than Lynch, ditto Kimberly Peirce who is good friends with de Palma.

Lynch has always been something of an outsider of Hollywood. Whilst he has had 3 nominations to de Palma’s zero, de Palma has been far more a part of Hollywood than Lynch. Both have directed a number of legendary films and both would make very worth recepients. I’d hate to choose between them.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Aunt Peg.
    ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Of course we have all read that Doris Day does not want it. However, I would hope she would accept the Humanitarian Oscar for all the work she has done on behalf of animals. It would not only bring awareness to her cause, but at least she would have an Oscar. Since I’ve sort of given up hope she will ever get one, I am hoping for Kim Novak, Max Von Sydow or Liv Ullman.

ReplyCopy URL
    Peaceful Resolution
    Participant
    Topics:

Danny Glover for the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

Has Barbra Streisand ever won the Hersholt Humanitarian Award?

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel B.
    Participant
    Topics:

A person is put forward by a governor from their own branch (there are only three per group). Keeping that in mind, there are some interesting possibilities.

Alfred Molina just joined the acting governors (replacing Tom Hanks). His first movie was “Raiders of the Lost Ark.” Could he want Harrison Ford?

Whoopi Goldberg just joined last year and was the one who pushed the worthy Donald Sutherland. If she goes for someone she knows very well, how about Billy Crystal? Bob Hope received a couple of honorary Oscars for hosting so often, and Crystal is second behind him in number of ceremonies. I could also see her pushing for Cicely Tyson.

Laura Dern is the third acting governor, and I’m not sure who would be her top choice. Would it be too crass to put forward her own father Bruce Dern?

Could Laura Dern push for David Lynch, or does someone from the directing branch have to push for him?

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

One of the three directors would have to be his advocate at next week’s meeting. She could certainly speak to them privately and ask them to make the push.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

He probably wouldn’t show up in person to accept it, but I’d like to see Terrence Malick get an Honorary Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Peaceful Resolution
    Participant
    Topics:

He probably wouldn’t show up in person to accept it, but I’d like to see Terrence Malick get an Honorary Oscar.

He’s not as reclusive as his rep makes him appear.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pablo J Garcia
    Participant
    Topics:

So if that is true, who pushed for Angela Lansbury back at the day??

Anyway, after all the Weinstein debacle, i think Mia Farrow has her biggest chance to get the so-well deserving oscar for her humanitary work. After all, her son opened all of it.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

So from what I read the Academy board meets tomorrow to decide this year’s honorary recipients. I predict an actor, a director and one or 2 others.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.