Home Forums Movies How big a surprise was Robert De Niro in 1974?

How big a surprise was Robert De Niro in 1974?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Gabe Guarin
keithw
  • Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Fred Astaire was the front runner supposedly. This is an odd year since they went with the elder sentimental favorite (Art Carney) for lead but the new young guy for supporting.

Coppola’s speech is prophetic. (And Tatum’s dress..yikes!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRzUMYOUk8

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I have to imagine pretty big considering how much we overhype an overdue sentimental favorite when they officially become the “frontrunner” (i.e. Sylvester Stallone, Lauren Bacall), especially with a legacy like Astaire’s

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Gabe Guarin.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Gabe Guarin.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

How Gazzo and Strasberg got in ahead of John Cazale is one of those great Oscar mysteries.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    keithw
    Topics:

It was definitely a surprise. It was thought that Astaire had the Oscar for sure!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

That was a bad year for the telecast. In two of the four acting categories the only person who wasn’t there won. (Ellen Burstyn being the other.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

How Gazzo and Strasberg got in ahead of John Cazale is one of those great Oscar mysteries.

I seem to recall that Strasberg had a lot of goodwill among actors as he was a highly respected teacher. Gazzo, I’m not really that sure about. Cazale’s snub is already awful, but the fact that two less deserving performances from his own film made it in over him makes it kind of insulting. Strasberg and Gazzo were great, especially the former. But how could somebody walk out of that film thinking they outperformed Cazale?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I doubt that anyone was really going to stop De Niro that year for a film voters clearly beloved and was the continuation of a past BP winner. De Niro already proved himself with “Mean Streets,” so he wasn’t exactly unknown. This was already a prior Oscar-winning role for Brando. Astaire was a true Hollywood legend, true, but award him for “The Towering Inferno” of all things as a career Oscar? No, that wouldn’t have gone over well with anyone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I doubt that anyone was really going to stop De Niro that year for a film voters clearly beloved and was the continuation of a past BP winner. De Niro already proved himself with “Mean Streets,” so he wasn’t exactly unknown. This was already a prior Oscar-winning role for Brando. Astaire was a true Hollywood legend, true, but award him for “The Towering Inferno” of all things as a career Oscar? No, that wouldn’t have gone over well with anyone.

Well Helen Hayes won for Airport (though she is actually quite fun in that film, unlike Astaire who is a bit bland) so I guess disaster films could win acting awards.

De Niro also probably had on his side the fact that he was considered to be overlooked the year before for Bang the Drum Slowly. That was another film where Vincent Gardenia, the lesser acclaimed co-star got in over the more acclaimed role. De Niro won the New York Film Critics Award for Bang the Drum.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by RobertPius.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by RobertPius.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

I think avoiding Al Pacino helped De Niro. TGF2 was poised to win at least one acting award.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.