Home Forums Movies How did Meryl Streep upset Viola Davis for Best Actress in 2011?

How did Meryl Streep upset Viola Davis for Best Actress in 2011?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
loudtoilet
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

the same reason why Gwyneth upset Glenn…

That was harvey weinstein and steven spielberg power. People always forget this fact: steven spielberg considers Gwyneth Paltrow “his niece” and he loves her

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ManavD.
    Topics:

I think a huge reason was cause Meryl has built up such a huge hype of decade long resurgence.. Since 2002,she was win-competitive or in the conversation:-

2002 : Adaptation
    While CZT won for Chicago, Streep took home the Gloves where Zeta was lead. Also she was much hyped and this began a career resurgence.

2003: Angels In America (What to Say..Emmy…)

2006: The Devil Wears Prada
    I think her performance stunned everyone with a fresh breath. But I don’t think anyone except Mirren was in the conversation for a win. It was such a LOCK.

2008: Doubt
    She would have won but there was an overdue force greater than hers that year-Kate Winslet. She was in 2 buzzed movies and won Globes for both (lead for Revolutionary Road and supp for Reader). She was double nominated at SAG in both categories and son SAG and CC for The Reader (supporting). She was double nominated in lead at BAFTA and won for The Reader. Her placement in Lead at the Oscars was shocking but it effectively sealed her win cause the Reader was a Best Picture nominee.

2009: Julie and Julia
    Won CC and GG. But probably was 2nd or 3rd or 4th (certainly before Mirren.)

2011: The Iron Lady
    As everyone said (1) Overdue
    (2) Likability of role (3) fully lead (4) transformative.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Of course, people on the internet complain all they want about instances like this where they felt that “It’s the role that won the Oscar, not the performance because in the minds of Academy members, it feels like they’re awarding Margaret Thatcher herself.”

Well, it’s not like she was playing Judy Garland, or Katharine Hepburn, or Edith Piaf, or Freddie Mercury, or Virginia Woolf, or even Truman Capote— I don’t think that Margaret Thatcher had all that many fans who are AMPAS members….

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

This was not an upset. If anything Viola winning Critic’s Choice and SAG was an upset. I did enjoy watching The Help, but it felt “Lifetime-ish” to me, like Bullock in The blind Side. I knew Viola would get nominated, but I was surprised at how close she was to winning. My personal favorite in this category was Rooney Mara for Dragon Tattoo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

This was not an upset. If anything Viola winning Critic’s Choice and SAG was an upset. I did enjoy watching The Help, but it felt “Lifetime-ish” to me, like Bullock in The blind Side. I knew Viola would get nominated, but I was surprised at how close she was to winning. My personal favorite in this category was Rooney Mara for Dragon Tattoo.

It’s kind of weird how Viola Davis won so many times at SAGs. Actors and actresses adore Viola Davis but NOT the rest of the industry. Maybe Viola fight some technicians or producers or Directors?!….

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

It’s kind of weird how Viola Davis won so many times at SAGs. Actors and actresses adore Viola Davis but NOT the rest of the industry. Maybe Viola fight some technicians or producers or Directors?!….

It’s not about that. It’s about the fact that despite her Tony wins and background work for years in the business, she has been familiar for most people only since 2008. That’s pretty recent. It’s rare to win multiple Oscars in such small amount of time. I mean it usually happens to character actors like Waltz or Ali out of the blue, but with more attention (that artists like Davis is currently  receiving), it’s harder to make it. Ask Winslet or Kidman. Those girls have an impressive body of work for DECADES, yet even they didn’t win a second one.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.