Home Forums Movies How Did Sean Penn win in 2004?

How Did Sean Penn win in 2004?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
teri
Dennis El Mar
Chimichanggas
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It also actually has happened on two occasions for the same film. Amy Irving in Yentl and James Coco for Only when I Laugh were both nominated for Oscars and Razzies for the same performances. As far as I can remember neither “won” either award.

Sybil Danning and Steve Forest were the “winners”

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  teri.
    ReplyCopy URL
    MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have given it to Depp that year, I think it is so hard to pull off a great comedic character like that, and that first performance as Jack Sparrow is easily one of my top performances of the 21st century. It’s just a perfect performance and character.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

If they played it right, JLaw coukd have it both for Mother!

They did play it right. She wasn’t nominated for an Oscar. The idea of anything in Mother getting close to an Oscar nomination makes my skin crawl.

Anyway, I had forgotten about Amy Irving getting nominated for both, I’m pretty sure I never heard of that happening with James Coco, and I thought of the Jack Nicholson nominations when I brought up the question. I haven’t seen any of those three performances, so I don’t know which nomination they all deserved more. However, since Razzie voters are mean spirited bullies, I’m just gonna assume Irving and Coco were more Oscar worthy than Razzie worthy, and Nicholson was more Globes worthy than Razzie worthy.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  thatnerdgreg.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  thatnerdgreg.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The overdue narrative was too strong for Penn to lose that year. The Clint factor was influential too. That hamfest winning over Bill Murray’s career-best work in “Lost in Translation” is still shameful to this day. “Is my daughhhhttter in there?!?!?” Ugh.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

The overdue narrative was too strong for Penn to lose that year. The Clint factor was influential too. That hamfest winning over Bill Murray’s career-best work in “Lost in Translation” is still shameful to this day. “Is my daughhhhttter in there?!?!?” Ugh.

My favorite part is when Penn twists his body into a pretzel…

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

It was an easy win for Penn. The film was popular, had big key noms and was a lock for a supporting actor win too. And he had 21 Grams for which he would’ve been nominated as well if Mystic River wasn’t there. THAT would’ve been a real race since 21 Grams was not as favored by the Academy, but it’s still a good performance from an “overdue” actor.

Depp coming into the race fucked up Murray’s chances and made it even easier for Penn. He was already at a disadvantage and another guy came in to steal even more votes. SAG makes this obvious. That’s an award Murray could’ve easily won.

Even with a guy like Mickey Rourke, that race looks way more tight than 2003.

ReplyCopy URL
    KAZ-2.5
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Penn deserved to win for Milk but Mystic River? Yuck.

ReplyCopy URL
    PreludeinCSharpMinor
    Participant
    Topics:

He was my pick that year. I loathed Lost in Translation. That was year Renée won over Shoreheh Agdashloo for House if Sand and Fog..that was a yuck

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s obvious why he chose to campaign his performance in the BP-nominated film, but he was outstanding in 21 Grams and would have made a worthy winner for that instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    NoLogo
    Participant
    Topics:

Total minority on this one but I hated Sean Penn’s performance in Mystic River (ditto in Milk). He is the hammiest of the hams.

Thank god for Robbins, Harden and Linney who made that film watchable.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Penn was fantastic. Murray was just decent. Depp was my choice. What a performance the first Jack Sparrow was. Now it’s just a disgusting parody.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Elazul
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Mystic River because I read the book but based on the comments here I’m not missing much…

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Mystic River because I read the book but based on the comments here I’m not missing much…

I recommend that you see it. It’s a tour de force in many ways. its easy to critize Penn ( i did) but in his quieter moments he’s splendid.
    If for nothing else watch it for the cast.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.