Home Forums Movies How Did Sean Penn win in 2004?

How Did Sean Penn win in 2004?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
teri
Elazul
loudtoilet
  • Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

It also actually has happened on two occasions for the same film. Amy Irving in Yentl and James Coco for Only when I Laugh were both nominated for Oscars and Razzies for the same performances. As far as I can remember neither “won” either award.

Sybil Danning and Steve Forest were the “winners”

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by teri.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

I would have given it to Depp that year, I think it is so hard to pull off a great comedic character like that, and that first performance as Jack Sparrow is easily one of my top performances of the 21st century. It’s just a perfect performance and character.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

If they played it right, JLaw coukd have it both for Mother!

They did play it right. She wasn’t nominated for an Oscar. The idea of anything in Mother getting close to an Oscar nomination makes my skin crawl.

Anyway, I had forgotten about Amy Irving getting nominated for both, I’m pretty sure I never heard of that happening with James Coco, and I thought of the Jack Nicholson nominations when I brought up the question. I haven’t seen any of those three performances, so I don’t know which nomination they all deserved more. However, since Razzie voters are mean spirited bullies, I’m just gonna assume Irving and Coco were more Oscar worthy than Razzie worthy, and Nicholson was more Globes worthy than Razzie worthy.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by thatnerdgreg.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by thatnerdgreg.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The overdue narrative was too strong for Penn to lose that year. The Clint factor was influential too. That hamfest winning over Bill Murray’s career-best work in “Lost in Translation” is still shameful to this day. “Is my daughhhhttter in there?!?!?” Ugh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

The overdue narrative was too strong for Penn to lose that year. The Clint factor was influential too. That hamfest winning over Bill Murray’s career-best work in “Lost in Translation” is still shameful to this day. “Is my daughhhhttter in there?!?!?” Ugh.

My favorite part is when Penn twists his body into a pretzel…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

It was an easy win for Penn. The film was popular, had big key noms and was a lock for a supporting actor win too. And he had 21 Grams for which he would’ve been nominated as well if Mystic River wasn’t there. THAT would’ve been a real race since 21 Grams was not as favored by the Academy, but it’s still a good performance from an “overdue” actor.

Depp coming into the race fucked up Murray’s chances and made it even easier for Penn. He was already at a disadvantage and another guy came in to steal even more votes. SAG makes this obvious. That’s an award Murray could’ve easily won.

Even with a guy like Mickey Rourke, that race looks way more tight than 2003.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I think Penn deserved to win for Milk but Mystic River? Yuck.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PreludeinCSharpMinor
    Topics:

He was my pick that year. I loathed Lost in Translation. That was year Renée won over Shoreheh Agdashloo for House if Sand and Fog..that was a yuck

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, Penn was fantastic. Murray was just decent. Depp was my choice. What a performance the first Jack Sparrow was. Now it’s just a disgusting parody.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Mystic River because I read the book but based on the comments here I’m not missing much…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Mystic River because I read the book but based on the comments here I’m not missing much…

I recommend that you see it. It’s a tour de force in many ways. its easy to critize Penn ( i did) but in his quieter moments he’s splendid.
    If for nothing else watch it for the cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

I recommend that you see it. It’s a tour de force in many ways. its easy to critize Penn ( i did) but in his quieter moments he’s splendid. If for nothing else watch it for the cast.

Got around watching it, I think the book is still better but it’s well-produced and directed nonetheless. Sean Penn is the worst actor winner of the 2000s though!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Should have been Depp. Iconic performance, the Joker/Phoenix of its time but unawarded. Fortunately, AMPAS didn’t make that mistake again this year.I must admit I was throwing stuff when critics started to jump on Banderas wagon. I don’t care how good he was, he wasn’t iconic.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by loudtoilet.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by loudtoilet.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

At the time, I remember the Best Actor category being the only one that had any sort of suspense since Theron was practically undeniable for MONSTER, Robbins swept through in Supporting, and Zellweger was basically given the award the moment she lost for CHICAGO.

Penn did have 21 GRAMS as well along with being in a solid BP contender and being considered somewhat overdue…not to mention, the role is FLASHY…though it simply doesn’t hold up. At the time (I was 15), I was all for his win but I do not agree with that now.

I remember being kind of shocked when Depp won SAG. Some people began touting him a little but I only really saw it as a race between Penn and Murray…and it is the latter I feel deserved the award.

Penn did deserve his for MILK…and I would’ve nominated him here for 21 GRAMS instead.

Side note: Bill Murray’s complete non-reaction when Penn won was priceless.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.