Home Forums Movies How was Isabelle Adjani able to get nominated for Camille Claudel in 1990 Oscar

How was Isabelle Adjani able to get nominated for Camille Claudel in 1990 Oscar

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
Wanda
Eddy Q
  • Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

I know she won the berlinale best actress and the Cesar award for best actress but those aren’t the best precursors awards. She wasn’t nominated at the golden globe or any critics circle award for that film at all. How was she able to get nominated did she just campaign really hard for that nomination?

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Looks like it was her time. The film was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, the competition in Best Actress was weak and she had already spent two decades (undeservedly) getting awards like Cannes, Cesar and David di Donatello.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Lead acting nominations for foreign-language performances are fairly routine when they have a good distributor, especially if they’ve won a festival award. Besides, Adjani was a previous nominee with The Story of Adele H (up to that point the youngest ever Best Actress nominee). There is really nothing irregular about this nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss
    Topics:

I have no relevant commentary to offer but I am the biggest fan of Isabelle. Watching Possession for the first time tonight!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

She got the spot that was expected to go to Sally Field for Steel Magnolias. I think Sally was still suffering backlash over the “you like me” speech.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

Looks like it was her time. The film was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, the competition in Best Actress was weak and she had already spent two decades (undeservedly) getting awards like Cannes, Cesar and David di Donatello.

Oh cmon she at least deserved the cesar for possession. She really did give an amazing performance in the movie

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

She got the spot that was expected to go to Sally Field for Steel Magnolias. I think Sally was still suffering backlash over the “you like me” speech.

Poor Sally though. Did that last through her non-nomination of Forrest Gump then?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    zordon
    Topics:

The fact that Adjani is absolutely sensational in the movie must have helped too 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

There were others to consider, like Andie Macdowell. Even though she was terrific in Sex, Lies and Videotape, her chances were probably hurt by the movie being too “indie” for the Academy, despite hitting everywhere expect BAFTA. Strange.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

It was much different back then. You can’t look at it through the funnel of today. There was no SAG awards, no BFCA awards, and the BAFTA would take place after the Oscars. Even the Golden Globes were a bit iffy. Tom Cruise beat DDL at the Globes, but DDL was the one who won the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

Poor Sally though. Did that last through her non-nomination of Forrest Gump then?

Probably plus she was competing with Robin Wright from the same film. Still both were predicted to get in. That category had three surprise nominees (Rosemary Harris, Helen Mirren, and Jennifer Tilly) who didn’t hit any precursors (Globes, SAG.)

Tilly launched her own ad campaign since the studio was only pushing Diane Wiest and Tracey Ullman.

Surprising that the three of them got in over Field and Wright from the incredibly popular Best Picture front runner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

There were others to consider, like Andie Macdowell. Even though she was terrific in Sex, Lies and Videotape, her chances were probably hurt by the movie being too “indie” for the Academy, despite hitting everywhere expect BAFTA. Strange.

I was going to mention MacDowell but I think Field was probably ahead of her. MacDowell was in an indie as you said and they hadn’t really caught on with Oscars yet.

Plus there was the stigma that she was just a model with a bad track record (having her dialogue in Greystoke needing to be completely dubbed by Glenn Close since it was so bad.) I think it was seen as a bit of a fluke that she gave a good performance in sex, lies, etc. Personally I find her a bit tentative in the film. She always had that awkwardness about her even in Four Weddings and a Funeral.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.