Home Forums Movies How was Marilia Pera’s chances for a nomination in 1981?

How was Marilia Pera’s chances for a nomination in 1981?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
RobertPius
arodfan
Milk Money

Marilia Pera, who played the prostitute on Pixote, won the National Society of Film Critics and Boston Society of Film Critics (as lead). She was also nominated for Best Supporting Actress at NYFCC. Did she really had a chance? Did she finished at least on the Top 10?

What do you think of Marilia’s performance in the GG nominated film Pixote?

The chaotic editing from Moulin Rouge!

I love it, I love it, I love it, but I also have my problems with it.

Nicole Kidman is amazing in Moulin Rouge!

The film won the Golden Globe and the PGA for Best Motion Picture

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

I thought she was excellent and would’ve made a worthy supporting winner. The film was unjustly snubbed for BFLF, too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

If justice existed in the world, Marilia Pera and Sonia Braga would have already been nominated for an Oscar (Pixote and The Kiss of the Spider Woman)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

I thought she was excellent and would’ve made a worthy supporting winner. The film was unjustly snubbed for BFLF, too.

Basically this. I doubt she was close considering the film was snubbed in FLF. A shame because she would have been better than the nominees (Dillon and McGovern unseen) by a wide margin.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    shrader_loc
    Topics:

If justice existed in the world, Marilia Pera and Sonia Braga would have already been nominated for an Oscar (Pixote and The Kiss of the Spider Woman)

lol Sonia did nothing remarkable in that film

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

She probably made the top 10.

The only people I can think of who got left out that year would be Mary Steenburgen, Ragtime, Kristy McNichol, Only When I Laugh, and Karen Allen, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Bernadette Peters (Pennies from Heaven) may have been in contention too but I’m not sure if they pushed her for lead or supporting. She won the Globe in lead but I kind of feel like for the Oscar she would have been pushed as supporting. Just a guess though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

She probably was 6th. The movie was very popular with critics and in the industry and they do like nominating foreign actors. Plus, her performance was all-caps AMAZING. Can’t believe she was snubbed for Elizabeth fricking McGovern who not only did nothing in Ragtime, but was also terribly miscast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

She probably was 6th. The movie was very popular with critics and in the industry and they do like nominating foreign actors. Plus, her performance was all-caps AMAZING. Can’t believe she was snubbed for Elizabeth fricking McGovern who not only did nothing in Ragtime, but was also terribly miscast.

Curious why you think she was miscast?

Nastassia Kinski was supposed to play the part but Milos Foreman (her boyfriend at the time!) decided her English wasn’t good enough for the part.

Don’t know much about the real Evelyn Nesbitt so curious to hear your take.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Curious why you think she was miscast? Nastassia Kinski was supposed to play the part but Milos Foreman (her boyfriend at the time!) decided her English wasn’t good enough for the part. Don’t know much about the real Evelyn Nesbitt so curious to hear your take.

I thought she was far too skimpy for the role and not mature enough for such a tragic character. Kinski would have done a great job with sucha role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I thought she was far too skimpy for the role and not mature enough for such a tragic character. Kinski would have done a great job with sucha role.

Foreman was odd with his casting. There’s a behind the scenes video about Amadeus where he is working on a screentest with an actress and though you don’t really see her completely it is pretty clear it is Elizabeth McGovern. I think she would have been perfect in Amadeus. He hired Meg Tilly though and then she got injured and they had to fly in two possible replacements. He worked with them both and then picked one. She didn’t get that great of reviews. I always wondered why he didn’t go back to McGovern when he was in a bind and she had done well by him before.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RobertPius
    Topics:

I always saw her as kind of a silly character not a tragic one. I thought McGovern got the shallowness and dumbness of the character. Big stretch from her first film Ordinary People where she gave off such intelligence. Thanks for giving me your opinion though. I was very curious to hear it.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.