Home Forums Movies If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)

If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
M: The Original
Dee Jones
FreemanGriffin
  • Dee Jones
    Participant
    Topics:

I will also add that Brian Tyree Henry was good in his extended scene.

He was excellent and would have been a very deserving supporting actor nominee. That scene was so haunting

Im unsure of what people wanted. I think she did well, and was true to the character. she certainly didnt drag the film down.

She was very good and the half a dozen breakthrough performance nominations and win she’s received attest to this. Just because she was not the standout to you doesn’t mean she was bad. Razzie worthy? Must have been on some other Beale Street.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s a difference between playing tentative and playing wooden, and at least in my opinion, she was the latter. Of course the character is timid, that is apparent from the big family confrontation with Tish and Fonny’s parents. Tish is young and innocent, and her family treats her as such. That is not my issue with Layne’s performance being “tentative.” Rather, I didn’t buy into her chemistry with Stephan James and did not buy her character’s growth throughout the film because her delivery was not really believable. That has nothing to do with the character or Jenkins. It has to do with Layne not getting me, as an audience member, to buy into what she was saying. Of course you can by shy and in love, but if I don’t believe you’re in love and the lines coming out of your mouth don’t sound genuine, I’m out of the moment. And I think that’s what happened here for me, and it appears I am not alone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I know i am the only one who thought Kiki Layne was terrific in the movie, exactly right for her role. I actually thought everyone was perfect in their roles and this is one of the best adaptations of a novel ever.

Can someone explain to me why Stephan James didn’t factor at all this awards season? Those scenes in prison on the phone, and the wonderful scene where they are looking at the loft space and he is showing her how it will look once they have fixed it up and the scene with Brian Tyree Henry – it really is one of the best performances by an actor in 2018!

I thought that Kiki Layne did a good job in this movie. Her performance was due to the nature of the character. Not sure what others have against this movie and the characters in it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dee Jones
    Participant
    Topics:

“Remember, love is what brought you here. And if you trusted love this far, don’t panic now. Trust it all the way”

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

This film was ROBBED of Best Score last night! The score WAS the film!

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s quite frankly embarrassing that Green Book has been rewarded while this complex and beautiful examination of race and love was largely ignored. Although I preferred Weisz, I’m so pleased that the film won something.

FYC: Carice van Houten (Game of Thrones), Guest Actress in a Drama Series

ReplyCopy URL
    Dee Jones
    Participant
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

I, too, was stunned that Beale Street loss Original Score. I was hoping Barry Jenkins would win Adapted Screenplay but I and everyone else knew that it was Spike Lee’s time.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenNunis
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the issue with Beale Street is maybe some don’t get it. The tentativeness of young love and the experience of being a black minority living in fear of racist white people does not quite leap out at the audience. The score and cinematography are beautiful, but distracts from the characters, distancing them a little from the viewer.

Maybe Beale Street and A Quiet Place are the same movie. Young couple in love have to stay quiet to not provoke and be harmed by monsters / racist white people. The lady is pregnant and will give birth, but the man has to make a sacrifice for the sake of his family.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

If Beale Street Could Talk was my favorite movie of 2018 and should have been nominated for Best Picture and would have been my winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

“Remember, love is what brought you here. And if you trusted love this far, don’t panic now. Trust it all the way”

my favorite movie quote of 2018

GIVE LENA HEADEY HER EMMY

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.