June 3, 2018 at 8:46 am #1202558070
The talented actor won a posthumous Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his work in The Dark Knight in 2009, and was the recipient of a Best Actor nomination for his terrific work in Brokeback Mountain, in 2005.
Now the question I pose to you all is this; based on his talent and what you’ve seen of him, what 2000s-2010s roles held by previous actors would Ledger be a great fit for?
Now Ledger was originally the first choice for Tom Hardy’s role in Mad Max: Fury Road, and he’d technically be a good fit for that, and he was also primed to play Mr. O’Brien in The Tree of Life, which he would have been perfect for.
But I think, from what I’ve seen of him in general, he’d be great as Mike Shiner in Birdman; this pretentiously dedicated actor which seems right in Ledger’s alley as a character. I also think he would have torn up Freddie Quell in The Master. That kind of staggered, lurching, intense character would be great for him I feel. Theoretically, he’d be great as Richard Loving as well, since that’s just Ennis Del Mar but in Virginia.
So what do you think he’d be good for?
June 3, 2018 at 9:12 am #1202558079
- This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by CitizenBlake.
Brad Pitt was perfectly cast in The Tree of Life. Those exaggerated physical quirks of Freddie Quell were inventions of Joaquin Phoenix. They weren’t in the script.June 3, 2018 at 9:21 am #1202558081
Brad Pitt was perfectly cast in The Tree of Life. Those exaggerated physical quirks of Freddie Quell were inventions of Joaquin Phoenix. They weren’t in the script.
Pitt was perfectly cast I agree, but in the original iteration, Ledger was the original choice, and he’d frankly also be perfect for O’Brien.
As for Phoenix, THAT’S exactly what I mean, Ledger would perfectly lend that sort of extreme dedication to his character in terms of his physicality. It was said that in order to achieve the gaping jaw and jawline of Quell, Phoenix stuck long objects in the back of his mouth (true story), and stayed in character for the duration of the shoot. If you ask me, Ledger already did something like that with creating a wholly unique, terrifying and quirky character of the Joker for The Dark Knight. That’s why he’d be perfect for Quell imo.June 3, 2018 at 11:57 am #1202558136
He would have starred as the title character in Mad Max: Fury Road.June 4, 2018 at 7:13 am #1202558551
Films that he probably would’ve been nominated for an Oscar for:
- Inviticus (2009, in Matt Damon’s role)
- Les Miserables (2012, in Hugh Jackman’s role)
- The Master (2012, in Joaquin Phoenix’s role)
- The Martian (2015, in Matt Damon’s role)
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, in Sam Rockwell’s role)
Films that he possibly could’ve been nominated for an Oscar for, assuming he does a better job than who was actually cast:
- Brothers (2009, in Tobey Maguire’s role)
- The Informant! (2009, in Matt Damon’s role)
- Conviction (2010, in Sam Rockwell’s role)
- Love and Other Drugs (2010, in Jake Gyllenhaal’s role)
- Salmon Fishing in the Yemen (2011, in Ewan McGregor’s role)
- Argo (2012, in Ben Affleck’s role)
- Her (2013, in Joaquin Phoenix’s role)
- Inherent Vice (2014, in Joaquin Phoenix’s role)
- Nightcrawler (2014, in Jake Gyllenhaal’s role)
- The Lobster (2015, in Colin Farrell’s role)
- Nocturnal Animals (2016, in Jake Gyllenhaal’s role)
- The Greatest Showman (2017, in Hugh Jackman’s role)
- Stronger (2017, in Jake Gyllenhaal’s role)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.