Home Forums Movies If The Fly was made in 1976, who would have played Seth Brundle?

If The Fly was made in 1976, who would have played Seth Brundle?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Sir Pierce
Vincent_Jules
If The Fly was made in 1976, who would have played Seth Brundle?
Christopher Walken
John Lithgow
  • Profile picture
    darthvader12
    Topics:

Here are the options for who would have played Seth Brundle if The Fly was made in 1976 (10 years earlier). Feel free to vote for your pick.

Profile picture
    Topics:

I don’t think either one of them were famous enough in 1976 to star in a big film like The Fly.

(I wonder how Goldblum and Geena Davis got the leads. Weren’t they mostly known as comic actors back then? Davis didn’t seem to have any serious drama credits at all.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Danny DeVito, probably.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vincent_Jules
    Topics:

I don’t think either one of them were famous enough in 1976 to star in a big film like The Fly.

(I wonder how Goldblum and Geena Davis got the leads. Weren’t they mostly known as comic actors back then? Davis didn’t seem to have any serious drama credits at all.)

The Fly is a horror picture which rarely has any marque stars anyways. I don’t think producers would shy away from casting a newcomer in the role. You were not likely going to see say Robert Redford being cast in such a picture, to use one megastar of that era for illustration.

Goldblum had been a mainstay at the time but not quite a household name star, Davis was just getting in film while she landing the role. I know Diane Lane, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Laura Dern were in consideration for Davis role. Michael Keaton and Mel Gibson, two big eighties stars declined the role. James Woods and Richard Dreyfuss turned it down, while Lithgow actually auditioned for the part.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BamaEd
    Topics:

In my opinion, neither. Maybe Michael Douglas? Jeff Bridges (but he was probably too young)? I think John Cazale could have done a great job and been a good leading role for him.

I don’t see Lithgow, with Obsession not coming out itself until 1976 and only 1 minor indie film before that being chosen to lead, even if just a horror film. Walken, maybe, but even he hadn’t made a huge impression yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.