( +3 hidden )
February 1, 2019 at 8:08 pm #1202758606
I would ban voters from voting if they have not seen all of the nominated performances.February 1, 2019 at 9:05 pm #1202758638
No category fraud. The Academy would have the final say as to whether a performance is lead or support – not the studios or the voters;
Bring the Best Picture back to 5 nominees;
Reduce best animated film to 3 nominees, unless over 40 films that qualify are released, than its goes to 4 nominees, and to 50 for more films 5 nominees;
Base foreign language nominee’s on release date in the US as per everything else. If your film isn’t released it can’t be considered. Also, this means that countries can have more than one nominee and there will be a much larger and better quality of films to choose from;
All awards, including life time achievement, honorary, etc be presented at the Oscars and aired on live TV;
All five songs performed in full;
So what if the show runs 5 hours. Its only once a year;
Any films that are streamed within 8 weeks of their cinema release are automatically disqualified (ditto DVD release);
Oscar ceremony pushed back to very late March;
For your consideration ads only only to include reference to Globe Wins/Nominations, New York Film Critics Wins, LA Critics Wins, National Society Film Critics Wins, National Board of Reviews Wins, Festival Wins all over the world. No mention to be made of other critic awards, BFTAs, SAGs, etc, otherwise the film is disqualifed.
February 1, 2019 at 9:09 pm #1202758640
- This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Aunt Peg.
February 3, 2019 at 7:16 am #1202760023
- Require voters to view every nominated movie before they can vote in a category
- Keep track of campaigning–anybody attempting a smear campaign will have their film(s) disqualified.
- Likewise, campaigns based around anything other than the cinematic merit of the film (social relevance, box office, overdueness of somebody involved) will lead to disqualification.
- Create a Placement Committee similar to what the Tonys have, to decide where actors get placed. They’d be anonymous, so studios couldn’t buy them off.
- Also require each branch to create shortlists of deserving nominees.
- Create a system similar to the Razzies, wherein, by paying a fee, non-industry people can vote on shortlisted performances/directors/films, et cetera, alongside Academy members.
- No host. Open with a nominated musical number, have the announcer call up presenters and performers. Allow the presenters some time to discuss the nominees and joke around.
- Have the Muppets present at least one award a year.
- Cut the audio if a speech goes longer than 2 minutes.
- Split the difference with presentation–not every category will be presented during the TV broadcast, but allow a separate livestream that has no commercial breaks (during which categories will still be presented).
Here are some suggestions, if they aren’t already in place:
1) Voters cannot vote for any films that they were involved with, either for nominations or for wins.
2) Voters cannot strike deals to vote for each other’s films. There can be absolutely no communication on what was voted for between voters. Voters who violate this rule will be (1) barred from voting at both the current ceremony and the following ceremony; and (2) disqualified from any Oscar consideration for both the current ceremony and the following ceremony. Second-time violators will be (1) barred from voting at both the current ceremony and the following ten ceremonies; and (2) disqualified from any Oscar consideration for both the current ceremony and the following ten ceremonies. Third-time violators will be (1) expelled from the Academy; and (2) be permanently disqualified from any Oscar consideration ever again.
3) Category fraud is prohibited. Anyone who attempts to commit category fraud (unless the category is Best Original Screenplay or Best Original Score) will be (1) barred from voting at both the current ceremony and the following ten ceremonies if he or she is a member; and (2) disqualified from any Oscar consideration for both the current ceremony and the following ten ceremonies. Second-time offenders will be (1) expelled from the Academy if he or she is a member; and (2) be permanently disqualified from any Oscar consideration ever again.
4) Category fraud in the “Best Original Screenplay” and “Best Original Score” categories is strictly prohibited. Anyone who attempts to commit category fraud in one of those two categories will be (1) expelled from the Academy if he or she is a member; and (2) be permanently disqualified from any Oscar consideration ever again.February 3, 2019 at 7:29 am #1202760033
3) Category fraud is prohibited. Anyone who attempts to commit category fraud (unless the category is Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Score, or Best Original Song)…
4) Category fraud in the “Best Original Screenplay,” “Best Original Score,” and “Best Original Song” categories is strictly prohibited.
There. Fixed it.February 3, 2019 at 7:38 am #1202760039
-best original song doesn’t need a live musical performance. Tell us the nominees and that’s it. You’re wasting 30 mins on songs while also moving awards to commercial breaks? The hell?
-5 nominees for makeup. Always.
-either 5 or 10 BP nominees. Pick one. Nothing in between.
-oh yeah, no awards during commercial breaks
-speeches can be 1-2 mins.
-stop feeding the audience and doing skits…. they’re awful
-add categories for best ensemble, best stunts
-never mention “popular film” againFebruary 3, 2019 at 7:40 am #1202760040
Oh yeah, and figure out what’s wrong with the voting for Best documentary and best score.
Babel won the award for score even though half the score was not original to the movie, including the final sequence… meanwhile movies like arrival are snubbed for the very same reasons… the Babel win has bothered me for years and no one talks about itFebruary 3, 2019 at 7:41 am #1202760041
I’ll implement the same system to the acting category that the Best Picture has, 5 to 10 nominees. I’ll have the technical categories be decided mostly by the experts on the field, with the tiny percent rest of those who belong to the other branches, so then it feels even. I’ll make everyone watch the movies they vote for (geez, that should be basic logic).
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.