Home Forums Movies IN THE HEIGHTS (2021)

IN THE HEIGHTS (2021)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 160 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
ˈdī(ə)mən..
roger88
  • Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

And ultimately it comes down to the film having no stars. If this starred someone like Hugh Jackman or Ryan Gosling(La La Land) this definitely wouldn’t flop like this. Nobody gives a shit about Anthony Ramos and the other unknowns in the cast.

Lol if La La Land was a success wasn’t because of Ryan Gosling. His most recent movies as lead (First Man, BR 2049, The Nice Guys…) all flopped at the BO despite good reviews.

A star would have helped, but my guess is that the marketing for this wasn’t good enough and failed to generate interest in audiences… which is a shame tbh

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

Lol if La La Land was a success wasn’t because of Ryan Gosling. His most recent movies as lead (First Man, BR 2049, The Nice Guys…) all flopped at the BO despite good reviews. A star would have helped, but my guess is that the marketing for this wasn’t good enough and failed to generate interest in audiences… which is a shame tbh

They literally spammed everyone with ads of this movie. There was like 3-4 trailer 9-10 and tv clips constantly played for months before this came out. People just weren’t interested.

Okay even if Gosling’s next movies flopped that movie still had Emma Stone who just had another hit with Cruella. I mean Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone vs Anthony Ramos & Melissa Barrera? lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

I’m also laughing at how ITH fans said this is gonna be a word of mouth slow hit like The Greatest showman and it dropped to 6th from 2nd in the 2nd weekend lol.

Speaking of that, it’s also flopping overseas:

IN THE HEIGHTS scored just $2M overseas this weekend—the high note was the UK with $1.4M. Spain and Mexico saw disastrous results with $133k and $94k, respectively.

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1406641396857991177

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

ITH was highly promo-ed. That was clearly not its problem. Most successful/semi successful movie musicals have some widely famous/recognizable faces. ITH does not. ITH was a Broadway success but hardly had a rippling pop culture effect. And yeah, not being a “white musical” or having much “queer” appeal probably limited it as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

While this movie sadly has not taken off at the box office, the soundtrack has at least been able to hit #1 on the Billboard Soundtracks Charts in the United States.
    https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/IN-THE-HEIGHTS-Film-Soundtrack-Hits-1-in-the-United-States-20210622

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Speaking of that, it’s also flopping overseas: IN THE HEIGHTS scored just $2M overseas this weekend—the high note was the UK with $1.4M. Spain and Mexico saw disastrous results with $133k and $94k, respectively. https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1406641396857991177

Spanish-speaking countries rejection is even more hilarious. But but muh representation! LOL you can’t sell a product with no appeal with “please see it to support diversity”. Nobody does that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anirudh Arun
    Topics:

I think the producers of ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ should be worried. I don’t see people flocking to the theatres to see that movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ˈdī(ə)mənd ˈtir
    Topics:

I think the producers of ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ should be worried. I don’t see people flocking to the theatres to see that movie.

DEH will flop commercially & critically. Calling it now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

DEH will flop commercially & critically. Calling it now.

I think commercially it will flop but critically do well. I mean that cast is pretty stacked. Hell wouldn’t be shocked if people go to watch for platt cuz they are politician fans, or for Amy or juliane cuz they are still pretty popular

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I think commercially it will flop but critically do well. I mean that cast is pretty stacked. Hell wouldn’t be shocked if people go to watch for platt cuz they are politician fans, or for Amy or juliane cuz they are still pretty popular

A stacked cast is not always a guarantee of critical success, and there have been plenty of great performances in films that were widely panned.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Spanish-speaking countries rejection is even more hilarious. But but muh representation! LOL you can’t sell a product with no appeal with “please see it to support diversity”. Nobody does that.

Latin Americans couldn’t care less about this film, the story is exclusive to New York Latinos.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

I think the producers of ‘Dear Evan Hansen’ should be worried. I don’t see people flocking to the theaters to see that movie.

I think Dear Evan Hansen does have potential to do somewhat better due to the source material being more established to general audiences than In the Heights. Plus, DEH has a few more recognizable faces in its cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheCineMike
    Topics:

It all comes down to the marketing. I hope they’ll send the right message to entice the audience.

https://thecinemike.wordpress.com/
    Twitter: @TheCineMike

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

I think Dear Evan Hansen does have potential to do somewhat better due to the source material being more established to general audiences than In the Heights. Plus, DEH has a few more recognizable faces in its cast.

No its not more recognizable lol. Other than Hamilton general audiences don’t even know the names of broadway plays.

But they do have Amy Adams so there’s some star power to it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

This thing is dead beyond dead. WB is stepping up Dune promo like nobody’s business. Second trailer and 5 spots next week, festival run, bye ITH.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.