Home Forums Movies IN THE HEIGHTS (2021)

IN THE HEIGHTS (2021)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 119 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
14 hours ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
George Ehret
Beastialg
  • Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

As the movie is about to be released this Friday, Warner Brothers has released the full opening number to watch online.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HAR3QBuiiU

From that scene alone I would say it looks like a frontrunner for best editing. Hoping the whole movie is great!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I want to go in blind when this opens here in Germany but I really have to fight with myself not to click on those videos.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Beastialg
    Topics:

It’s getting great reviews. 82 at metacritic with 30 reviews in and and 96 certified fresh at RT. Best picture nom?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

It’s getting great reviews. 82 at metacritic with 30 reviews in and and 96 certified fresh at RT. Best picture nom?

That’s really great, amazing! They might actually surprise us this season!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

The major reason while I still am skeptical about In The Heights chances at Best Picture is the fact that I don’t really see it getting into many categories below the line except for maybe Sound and Editing (which does not fare well for a musical at The Oscars). I also can’t see it above the line for anything except Supporting Actress and maybe, just maybe, Adapted Screenplay. Couple that with the fact that there are two more major musical contenders that are coming up this year, made by far more acclaimed and respected directors and you have three major things that are keeping this film from getting into the Top 10.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Though as I’ve mentioned before, I think people are overestimating West Side Story‘s chances going into this upcoming awards season. While four of the last seven films Steven Spielberg has directed within this past decade have managed to receive Best Picture nominations, none of them were reboots of much lauded Best Picture winners, let alone huge Oscar sweepers. So even if his WSS gets good reviews, it’ll probably still have a huge uphill battle to climb at the Oscars due to inevitable comparisons to the 1961 classic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    runninglikewater
    Topics:

Is it released on HBO Max in like a half hour, which is June 10 EST?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    danieljones
    Topics:

Is it released on HBO Max in like a half hour, which is June 10 EST?

It should be

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

The major reason while I still am skeptical about In The Heights chances at Best Picture is the fact that I don’t really see it getting into many categories below the line except for maybe Sound and Editing (which does not fare well for a musical at The Oscars). I also can’t see it above the line for anything except Supporting Actress and maybe, just maybe, Adapted Screenplay. Couple that with the fact that there are two more major musical contenders that are coming up this year, made by far more acclaimed and respected directors and you have three major things that are keeping this film from getting into the Top 10.

There really isn’t much precedent for a movie that’s live-action and not part of a franchise with these kinds of reviews and (presumably) box office success missing at the Oscars though. In the past decade, there’s pretty much just Baby Driver, Us, and Hustlers that missed above-the-line, and In the Heights is clearly much more Oscar-friendly than any of those were. Go back even 20 years and there still aren’t many examples, with the only similar one being Hairspray (which was far lighter in tone than In the Heights). Something like Picture+Editing+Sound+Song could happen in a field of 10, and I honestly think that Merediz and Ramos both have good shots at nominations.

And as far as the other musicals go, Annette is going to be incredibly weird and isn’t happening, Cyrano is adapted from a musical that got mixed reviews by a director who rarely gets good reviews nowadays, Everybody’s Talking About Jaime is going to be fun but light, Dear Evan Hansen is not going to get the reviews it would need, and Carmen is not going to be big enough to displace In the Heights. That just leaves West Side Story, and even if it is a big success, I think there’s room for both of them.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

I really really REALLY wanted to love In the Heights. But honestly…it was disappointing. There was a big disconnect between the story & characters for me. Like, where was the genuine depth? All of the emotions felt surface level. It’s editing was also distracting. There was too much going on even if some of the sequences were impressive. Particularly the subway segment with Olga Merediz. But worst of all, most of the songs weren’t memorable. For a 2 hour film that’s musically driven, that’s a big miss.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Last night, I made my first trip back to the movie theater in forever. In the Heights ended up being a perfect treat for me. Under the direction of Jon M. Chu, he has crafted a movie musical that is a celebration of life and community as well as a love letter to the neighborhood of Washington Heights in New York City. He does some very inventive and imaginative work with his filming and staging of all the songs. Credit must also be given to Christopher Scott for providing some very energetic choreography and Alice Brooks for providing such vibrant cinematography. Not to mention that for a movie that’s about 2 hours and 23 minutes long, it doesn’t feel its runtime at all as Chu in collaboration with editor Myron Kerstein were able to keep the whole thing together at such a great pace.

I must say that it is very refreshing to see a major movie musical with a cast consisting of mostly fresh faces, rising stars, and character actors as opposed to big A-listers. Anthony Ramos proves to be a very charismatic leading man as the central character of Usnavi. I really liked Leslie Grace as Nina, who in my opinion has the best character arc in the whole film. She also shares some great chemistry with Benny, played very well here by Corey Hawkins. Melissa Barrera, I thought was quite good as Usnavi’s love interest, Vanessa. I really loved Lin-Manuel Miranda’s extended cameo as Piraguero, the Piragua Guy. He even has a fun little confrontation with a certain somebody (In the Heights and Hamilton fans will know who I’m talking about when they see it) during his big number, ‘Piragua’. I thought the three salon ladies played by Daphne Rubin-Vega, Stephanie Beatriz, and Dascha Polanco were all tons of fun in their roles. Although Olga Merediz is the heart and soul of this movie as the loving matriarch of the barrio, ‘Abuela’ Claudia.

Overall, whether you’re Hispanic or not, you should still be able to relate to the themes of In the Heights. It’s a story about home, community, and family. The film may be currently available to stream on HBO Max through July 11th, but if you’re willing to see it in a movie theater, I personally suggest you should do that instead. After all, there really is nothing like experiencing this kind of film on the big screen with an audience.

You can read my full review right here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AegonsnowVI
    Topics:

As a fan of the original musical, I did not enjoy this adaptation. It felt showy at best and not truly connected to the story at heart (about the immigrants and their suffering). It’s a good one time watch but seriously skeptical of its award chances the more I think about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

Last night, I made my first trip back to the movie theater in forever. In the Heights ended up being a perfect treat for me. Under the direction of Jon M. Chu, he has crafted a movie musical that is a celebration of life and community as well as a love letter to the neighborhood of Washington Heights in New York City. He does some very inventive and imaginative work with his filming and staging of all the songs. Credit must also be given to Christopher Scott for providing some very energetic choreography and Alicia Brooks for providing such vibrant cinematography. Not to mention that for a movie that’s about 2 hours and 23 minutes long, it doesn’t feel its runtime at all as Chu in collaboration with editor Myron Kerstein were able to keep the whole thing together at such a great pace. I must say that it is very refreshing to see a major movie musical with a cast consisting of mostly fresh faces, rising stars, and character actors as opposed to big A-listers. Anthony Ramos proves to be a very charismatic leading man as the central character of Usnavi. I really liked Leslie Grace as Nina, who in my opinion has the best character arc in the whole film. She also shares some great chemistry with Benny, played very well here by Corey Hawkins. Melissa Barrera, I thought was quite good as Usnavi’s love interest, Vanessa. I really loved Lin-Manuel Miranda’s extended cameo as Piraguero, the Piragua Guy. He even has a fun little confrontation with a certain somebody (In the Heights and Hamilton fans will know who I’m talking about when they see it) during his big number, ‘Piragua’. I thought the three salon ladies played by Daphne Rubin-Vega, Stephanie Beatriz, and Dascha Polanco were all tons of fun in their roles. Although Olga Merediz is the heart and soul of this movie as the loving matriarch of the barrio, ‘Abuela’ Claudia. Overall, whether you’re Hispanic or not, you should still be able to relate to the themes of In the Heights. It’s a story about home, community, and family. The film may be currently available to stream on HBO Max through July 11th, but if you’re willing to see it in a movie theater, I personally suggest you should do that instead. After all, there really is nothing like experiencing this kind of film on the big screen with an audience. You can read my full review right here.

Now that you’ve seen it, what’s your take on its Oscar chances?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

^Personally, I’m not even thinking about the chances for this year’s slate of movies going into next year’s Oscars that much right now. Sure, I think it would be great for this film to do the best it possibly can during the upcoming 2021-22 awards season, but people never make movies with the intention of winning awards. They mainly do so for the whole world to hopefully enjoy them. Though I will say that it’s too bad that it looks like there will be no Golden Globes next year as In the Heights definitely would’ve been a contender there. Then again, I can see this getting a SAG Ensemble nomination like other crowd-pleasing summer movies in the past such as Hairspray (hit musical) and Crazy Rich Asians (diverse cast directed by Jon M. Chu). Maybe the end credits number, ‘Home All Summer’, could have a shot at a Best Original Song nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

This was a mixed bag for me:

The Good: The Cast (SHOUTOUT FOR Anthony Ramos who is my pick for best actor now…until denzel and macbeth are out lol)/The Music was spot on/Set Design/Costume/Directing

The Meh: The first half was stronger than the second half for me

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.