Home Forums Movies IN THE HEIGHTS (2021)

IN THE HEIGHTS (2021)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 160 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jeffrey Kare
Diamond Tier
roger88
  • Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

The overwhelming critical praise for In the Heights is the perfect example of when some critics try too hard to appease social media. No one wants to get dragged for stating the obvious: it’s an average almost borderline bad movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Controversies aside, for me the first half of the movie was a sheer bundle of joy, whereas the second half dragged and was at times soapy and cheesy. Overall, it was great to see an ambitiously executed feel-good musical with fresh faces, and while the colourism criticism is obviously spot-on, I’m disappointed that it’s not meeting expectations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Musical Hell has a new video out talking about why she felt the musical numbers in the film are so good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFs2uw3Ni0&t=307s

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

Dead movie, close the thread.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Musical Hell has a new video out talking about why she felt the musical numbers in the film are so good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFs2uw3Ni0&t=307s

https://media4.giphy.com/media/1r97j4elqwZ4kyOiAG/200.gif

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just got home from seeing the movie, which I really enjoyed! First things first: I was the ONLY PERSON in the movie theatre!!!!! On a Saturday! Are people not returning to the movie theatres???

O.K., Olga Merediz better be Oscar nominated for her performance, that is #1. I also think they need to give a special Oscar to Christopher Scott for his choreography. I have seen Anthony Ramos in a few indie films and he has amazing charisma and chemistry, just a wonderful performance! Years ago when I would listen to this score from the broadway cast recording must admit I am not in love with the songs – it’s the choreography of the songs that works for me.

I love the sweetness of this musical. Hispanics who are not thugs with guns and killing each other, instead a community of people who care about each other. Another thing I loved was the different body types and skin tones in this movie.

But for me it’s Olga Merediz’s performance that blew me away! She is truly magnificent! She’s the only one who is playing her role from the Broadway musical (to the best of my knowledge – Miranda is playing a different character).

I noticed the cinematographer is a female! The film is beautifully realized with great camera work, editing, sound, and design elements. The direction is great. Truly a wonderful movie!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Just got home from seeing the movie, which I really enjoyed! First things first: I was the ONLY PERSON in the movie theatre!!!!! On a Saturday! Are people not returning to the movie theatres???

At least for this movie? It looks likely

https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/1406268231254523911

From 2nd to 6th place at BO in just a week. Musical Hell may answer that lol.

Anyway, this movie is officially dead (as if it wasn’t already).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

People really ought to go and see this delightful movie! It’s wonderful! I am so sick of all the negativity – when something wonderful finally comes along it would be nice if people would show up for it!

Olga Merediz is AMAZING in this movie! The choreography alone is worth the price of admission! Anthony Ramos and Gregory Diaz IV are terrific, and Ramos has charisma as a leading man too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

Paramount is probably trying to quickly recast Anthony Ramos in the next Transformers movie after the spectacular way this movie flopped lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

It was… fine? I didn’t love it, unfortunately. That said, Anthony Ramos is phenomenal in it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

oh god please no, he’s too talented to star in that garbage

agreed. Also technically not his fault the BO wasn’t great but when u can get it at home on hbo max do u really wanna go see it in the theaters. That’s a huge factor too. I don’t think it’s a flop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

agreed. Also technically not his fault the BO wasn’t great but when u can get it at home on hbo max do u really wanna go see it in the theaters. That’s a huge factor too. I don’t think it’s a flop.

Umm… According to Sthe first sources, the streaming numbers weren’t good either (Less of 1M last week). And that didn’t stop for films like Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat to gain money on BO. Please, Cruella, with the extra price per Disney+ is having a nice recaudation after all!. Even the trades right now acknowledge HBOMax wasn’t the impediment for ITH floppage, but yeah, keep that delusion alive (alongside with the great word of mouth from last weekend to this that sink the film from 2nd to 6th place at BO, lmao).

Anyway, I don’t think Ramos will be recast. Transformers is a brand and will gain money (Honests, this year’s two Best leading Oscar winners starred in Transformers XD). Also, it helps Ramos for visibility and name recognition after starring this flop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Most people didn’t run to the theater because In the Heights isn’t a popular musical among general audiences. Chicago has “All That Jazz”, Dreamgirls has “And I Am Telling You…”, Mamma Mia has all of ABBA’s hits. ITH doesn’t have a single song that viewers outside of Broadway would know.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Umm… According to Sthe first sources, the streaming numbers weren’t good either (Less of 1M last week). And that didn’t stop for films like Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat to gain money on BO. Please, Cruella, with the extra price per Disney+ is having a nice recaudation after all!. Even the trades right now acknowledge HBOMax wasn’t the impediment for ITH floppage, but yeah, keep that delusion alive (alongside with the great word of mouth from last weekend to this that sink the film from 2nd to 6th place at BO, lmao).

Anyway, I don’t think Ramos will be recast. Transformers is a brand and will gain money (Honests, this year’s two Best leading Oscar winners starred in Transformers XD). Also, it helps Ramos for visibility and name recognition after starring this flop.

GVK and MK and C were going to do better since they are franchieses and in the case of the last one (which I loved as well)…it’s Disney. ITH made a good amount of cash. It wasn’t going to be the movie that was going to show that the movies were going to all make a ton of money….like someone said above it’s not as well known as others that were adapted into film. The movie set out to do what it wanted: Good movie, kept the spirit of the OG Broadway musical, and with great performances. I don’t know which movie will be the one to make people go to the movies like it was before COVID but I’m hoping that is sooner rather than later. I still think they did not market it correctly. Yes, the commericals were everywhere but it basically showed the entire movie by the time it was released. That definately did not help either. Still wouldnt consider ITH a flop just a victim of timing and overhyping. Worried a bit for WSS now

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

Umm… According to Sthe first sources, the streaming numbers weren’t good either (Less of 1M last week). And that didn’t stop for films like Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat to gain money on BO. Please, Cruella, with the extra price per Disney+ is having a nice recaudation after all!. Even the trades right now acknowledge HBOMax wasn’t the impediment for ITH floppage, but yeah, keep that delusion alive (alongside with the great word of mouth from last weekend to this that sink the film from 2nd to 6th place at BO, lmao). Anyway, I don’t think Ramos will be recast. Transformers is a brand and will gain money (Honests, this year’s two Best leading Oscar winners starred in Transformers XD). Also, it helps Ramos for visibility and name recognition after starring this flop.

I think the WB head even said that the movies that are box office hits also have high viewership numbers in hbo max and those that flop also die in hbo max.

I’m also laughing at how ITH fans said this is gonna be a word of mouth slow hit like The Greatest showman and it dropped to 6th from 2nd in the 2nd weekend lol.

And ultimately it comes down to the film having no stars. If this starred someone like Hugh Jackman or Ryan Gosling(La La Land) this definitely wouldn’t flop like this. Nobody gives a shit about Anthony Ramos and the other unknowns in the cast.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 160 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.