Home Forums Movies Indiewire's 2018 Critics Poll

Indiewire's 2018 Critics Poll

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
MultipleOscar..
Eddy Q
FreemanGriffin
  • Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

The annual list is already out.

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

BTW, how have you been? It’s been a long time since I logged in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

How do professional critics vote for three lead performances in their top 5 for Best Supporting Actress? OK, full disclosure, I haven’t seen The Favourite yet, but I’m going by the common consensus that it’s a three-lead film. But I have seen Leave No Trace, and Thomasin McKenzie in Supporting is grade A bullshit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

How do professional critics vote for three lead performances in their top 5 for Best Supporting Actress? OK, full disclosure, I haven’t seen The Favourite yet, but I’m going by the common consensus that it’s a three-lead film. But I have seen Leave No Trace, and Thomasin McKenzie in Supporting is grade A bullshit.

Everyone do this every year. Bloggers and online critics just keep following critics’ organizations paths once there is a non-official established consensus regarding category placements. While critics’ organizations go their own way when it comes to rewarding performances (this year most crowned performer in the best actor category, Ethan Hawke, might not even be nominated at the Academy Awards) they place their acting choices according to other critics’ organizations or what’s most convenient (so basically, they do care what the rest will think). In IndieWire’s previous lists, there was only two categories in acting: male and female. Now it seems so very aptly and less frustrating.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

So their picks are:

Best Film: Roma
    Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
    Best Actor: Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
    Best Actress: Olivia Colman, The Favourite
    Best Supporting Actor: Steven Yeun, Burning
    Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
    Best Screenplay: Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, The Favourite
    Best Cinematography: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma
    Best Foreign Language Film: Roma
    Best First Film: Sorry To Bother You
    Best Documentary: Minding the Gap

I haven’t seen Burning but I really like all of these other choices! Not quite mine but really good choices!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Everyone do this every year. Bloggers and online critics just keep following critics’ organizations paths once there is a non-official established consensus regarding category placements. While critics’ organizations go their own way when it comes to rewarding performances (this year most crowned performer in the best actor category, Ethan Hawke, might not even be nominated at the Academy Awards) they place their acting choices according to other critics’ organizations or what’s most convenient (so basically, they do care what the rest will think). In IndieWire’s previous lists, there was only two categories in acting: male and female. Now it seems so very aptly and less frustrating.

I’m used to the smaller regional critics groups buying into the FYC category placements, but the Indiewire critics poll features many of the most distinguished critics on the planet. For some of them to fall for this BS is very disappointing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SHT L
    Topics:

I think a lot of them buy into some of the arguments that The Favourite ladies can be supporting, and maybe aren’t as convinced as many GD members’ ideas of category fraud. Colman has shown up on some critics’ list as Best Supporting Actress and I read here there was some debate from the LAFCA about where she should be placed as she may have won both categories (critics probably naming her for both and then finally deciding to put her in lead). Not sure why McKenzie is in supporting thought. They should know better. I guess they’re all just getting lazier and going with FYC ads. That is disappointing.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by SHT L.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

I’m used to the smaller regional critics groups buying into the FYC category placements, but the Indiewire critics poll features many of the most distinguished critics on the planet. For some of them to fall for this BS is very disappointing.

It’s a bummer. One would think IndieWire would try to distance itself from this type of stuffs and contribuite with fairer play over the years, yet they’re just becoming part of award season’s problems.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.