Home Forums Movies Is 2018 for EMILY BLUNT what 2001 was for Nicole Kidman?

Is 2018 for EMILY BLUNT what 2001 was for Nicole Kidman?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Marcus.H
Cinephile
Miles
  • musicreloaded
    Participant
    Topics:

A successful blockbuster thriller in summer (made by his husband).

2001- The Others (produced by Tom Cruise).

2018- A Quiet Place (directed by Jhon Krasinsky)

An Iconic musical with an Iconic role.

2001- Moulin Rouge! (SATINE)

2018- Mary Poppins Returns (MARY POPPINS)

In 2018 Emily became so cool and now its a box-office magnet.Nicole blew up after 2001.

Nicole won the GG, Is the Golden Globe Musical/Comedy next for Blunt???

Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like I have seen so many films featuring Blunt.

To me, she’s just like Rose Byrne……beautiful,suitable for many films, but not really impressive when it comes to acting skills.

Anyway, it IS a huge year for her and I will be happy to see her getting buzz in the future.(Oscars91 will be crowded so maybe next year?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like I have seen so many films featuring Blunt. To me, she’s just like Rose Byrne……beautiful,suitable for many films, but not really impressive when it comes to acting skills. Anyway, it IS a huge year for her and I will be happy to see her getting buzz in the future.(Oscars91 will be crowded so maybe next year?)

I thought she was quite good in Girl On the Train. If she gives a performance in Mary Poppins that’s worthy of award nominations then I fully support her. And I’m sure the nostalgic factor intertwined with the film might be the push she needs to win the GG against Lady Gaga. Potentially an Oscar nom is on the table too but it is difficult to ascertain if it could happen when the release for the film is already late into award season. We’ll see…..

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Emily Blunt can be very impressive when given a demanding role, so I guess I would liken her to Rose Byrne (who is an underrated actress herself) although probably not in the way you meant.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Kidman had To Die For, Portrait of a Lady, and Eyes Wide Shut before her 2001 award season breakthrough. No one before or after are comparable.

ReplyCopy URL
    distain
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think so. A Quiet Place felt like more of an achievement for Krasinski. Kidman was actually in the Oscar race for The Others. Blunt isn’t even in contention (Toni Collete stole any potential awards heat for a horror flick with Hereditary)

Satine was an original creation that Kidman made iconic. Blunt remaking an already iconic role is not the same thing. Mary Poppins will make a lot of money because people already know the property and it’s Disney, but the shock value of Moulin Rouge and Kidman in it, was that it came from nowhere and pretty much single handedly revived the musical as a cool and viable genre (Which Chicago capitalised on by winning the Best Picture Oscar the following year).

Blunt is a very good actress and castable in a lot of things. I just don’t think her choices of films or roles are nearly interesting or risky enough to bear any comparison to someone like Kidman. Moulin Rouge was a huge risk that could have killed several careers if it failed (including possibly Kidman’s). Mary Poppins is as safe a bet as you could think of, and no one is risking anything but making hundreds of millions of dollars through Disney’s machine.

ReplyCopy URL
    ethanqd
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Emily, and even though she gave a quite impressive performance in Girl on the Train, she hasn’t had the type of filmography that Nicole Kidman had even before 2001. And really, what I mean by that is that “To Die For,” although snubbed at the Oscars, really got Kidman’s name out there and established her as someone who could take on roles that would win major awards; she won the Musical/Comedy GG, and was only snubbed because the Best Actress category at the Oscars that year was one of the most crowded and competitive years in Oscars history.

Blunt shows insane potential; I think Girl on the Train should have been her major push into Oscars territory, but that wasn’t taken outside the BAFTA and SAG nomination, which wasn’t nothing by any means; but Kidman’s GG win solidified her as somewhat of a force to be reckoned with, and the paramount difference between Blunt and Kidman now is that Blunt hasn’t had that much-needed win. And really, she should have been nominated for Supporting Actress for Devil Wears Prada, but was again snubbed even though she was BAFTA and GG-nominated.

It definitely is a banner year for her in terms of starring roles in two movies that have gotten major buzz; A Quiet Place probably won’t pick up any above-the-line nominations besides Screenplay, and we’ll just have to wait and see about Mary Poppins.

The Others and A Quiet Place I guess are somewhat similar in that they were both critically acclaimed “fan favorite” movies that won’t be big BP contenders, although Kidman did get a BAFTA and a GG nom for that role. Blunt likely only has one shot at the Oscars race, where as Kidman had two; A Quiet Place doesn’t have any trajectory for Best Actress, only Screenplay. Her only shot is Mary Poppins, whereas Kidman’s one Oscar nom was really basically for two pretty buzzy roles.

However, I wouldn’t be so quick to compare Moulin Rouge and Mary Poppins; first of all, I will say that 2001 was an incredibly weak year for the BP category, and there’s a lot of prestige pics this year that could seriously put into question whether Mary Poppins is a serious BP contender. Moulin Rouge had less to compete with for nominations, making it all the more easier for Kidman to get nominated for an Oscar and also win the GG. Mary Poppins is, after all, a Disney remake whose focus is more on box office than above-the-line awards; besides for the artistic elements, with so many prestige pics getting buzz including ASIB at Toronto and Venice, Poppins will need serious acclaim to make it an item in awards season and to put Blunt over the edge even to win the Golden Globe; Gaga is proving to be a strong force in a Venice and TIFF-loved film, and Poppins doesn’t have the same awards season release and therefore momentum.

So yeah, sorry that was so long-winded and rambling; but to make a long story short, I think the reason this isn’t Kidman’s 2001 for Blunt beyond the similarities between the two films is that Mary Poppins has a lot to live up to if it wants to be a BP nom, and blunt does as well if she wants to beat Gaga. In terms of Kidman’s Oscar nom and GG win, she didn’t really have the same competition as Blunt had; the Oscar was between Sissy Spacek and Halle Berry, whereas a direct competitor in the MC category for Blunt, aka Lady Gaga, is a likely Oscar nom at this moment. Blunt needs more momentum behind her in terms of a filmography; she needs a “To Die For” before a nomination for a film like Mary Poppins can be less shakily based on the film itself.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  ethanqd.
    ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Please let this theory hold. Blunt should have had been picked by the Oscars already:

The Devil Wears Prada (nomination)
    The Young Victoria (nomination)
    Into the Woods (win)
    Sicario (nomination)
    The Girl on the Train (win – tied with Portman)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.