Home Forums Movies Kate Winslet Double Nomination in 2008

Kate Winslet Double Nomination in 2008

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
ArtIsntEasy
Gabarnes43
Pinkpie48
  • Profile picture
    Pinkpie48
    Topics:

Based on the conversation in another thread, I was curious what was expected to happen has Kate Winslet scored a double nomination in 2008 (lead for Revolutionary Road, supporting for The Reader). Was it possible she could have prevailed in both categories?

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I highly doubt she would’ve won both like she did at the Globes.

Although, at the time, I did actually predict (as did a few people on here) that they would upgrade her nomination for THE READER to Lead. In a way, I was very surprised I actually called that. I considered it something of a hot streak at the time having predicted the wins for Arkin and Swinton the two years prior.

For me personally, I actually preferred her performance in REVOLUTIONARY ROAD and would’ve rather her be nominated for that. Even then, I think I still would’ve voted for Anne Hathaway or the snubbed Sally Hawkins. I also remember liking Kristin Scott Thomas in I’VE LOVED YOU SO LONG.

Winslet should’ve won for ETERNAL SUNSHINE and she was also very viable for SENSE & SENSIBILITY and I wouldn’t have minded if she pulled it off for STEVE JOBS.

I think had the Academy kept her in Supporting for THE READER that they probably would’ve opted for Streep in DOUBT which very well would’ve opened the door for Davis to win for THE HELP.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

What actually happened with the placements, I’ve never really looked into it but always been confused by it

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Pinkpie48
    Topics:

I think the studios worked out a deal to campaign The Reader as supporting and Revolutionary Road as lead, but acting branch members instead placed her in lead for the former. She probably only missed the double nomination narrowly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

Yeah, that’s basically how it went down.

Winslet was campaigned in Supporting and then won Globe and SAG in that category.

Then at BAFTA she was double nominated in Lead and won for THE READER. I think it was that occurrence that made myself and others consider the option of her slipping into Lead for that role.

It’s certainly a similar case to Stanfield’s wackadoo Supporting nom this year where they just chose to put him there despite the campaign. I just think it’s remarkable enough voters actually voted for him in that category. It made more sense with Winslet because a lot of people did feel it was borderline Lead anyways.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

It’s certainly a similar case to Stanfield’s wackadoo Supporting nom this year where they just chose to put him there despite the campaign. I just think it’s remarkable enough voters actually voted for him in that category. It made more sense with Winslet because a lot of people did feel it was borderline Lead anyways.

I happened to bring this up while on a tangent in the supporting actress thread. I really don’t think voters gave it much thought; Stanfield was second billed after Kaluuya and the advertising was slightly more focused on the latter as Fred Hampton which was the main selling point of the movie. The people who voted for Stanfield in supporting likely didn’t even take notice of the FYC placements in the first place. I assume those voters had Kaluuya in lead, but then other voters went with the studio’s designations so Kaluuya ultimately had more votes in supporting as well. There’s a decent chance Kaluuya was top 5 in Best Actor but because his support was even greater in supporting the 6th place finisher in the lead category took his place (probably Yeun). I very much doubt any individual members actually voted for both actors in supporting.

If the campaign had been the other way round, Kaluuya and Stanfield would’ve consistently been nominated in lead and supporting respectively, provided the Globes didn’t move Stanfield to lead like with Rooney Mara in Carol. (And Kaluuya might’ve even challenged Boseman for the win, but I digress.)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.