Home Forums Movies Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 314 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
replies
views
users
Elsa Korr
crabbie
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

Yes, the movie is captivating and flowing until the last 30/40 minutes, and expecially in the last 20 it becomes too messy and a bit ideologically ambiguous.

2022 Award Season, FYC:

Best Picture: TITANE, L'EVENEMENT
    Best Director: JULIA DUCOURNAU
    Best Actress: JODIE COMER
    Best Actor: BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
    Best Supporting Actress: ANN DOWD, TONI COLLETTE
    Best Supporting Actor: WILLEM DAFOE, RICHARD JENKINS

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Everyone has their own standard I suppose. Perhaps 68 is a disappointment for an Edgar Wright movie and its likely to become Edgar Wright’s lowest scoring movie on Metacritic (and His most polarizing/divisive/mixed as well)

Well Scott Pilgrim is in the 60s on Metacritic and that’s a great film.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Well Scott Pilgrim is in the 60s on Metacritic and that’s a great film.

Doesnt change the fact that Soho is heading to become his most polarizing movie. 75 Metascore will be good enough for SoHo to hold up. not as an award contender obviously. As a movie in general.

That being said, this is not his comfort zone.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

The Oscar experts didn’t love it and their passion for it after the first trailer made me vibe with them completely. Idk anymore, I’m holding onto that 10 spot so hard lol but I might need to finally just call it a L.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

The Oscar experts didn’t love it and their passion for it after the first trailer made me vibe with them completely. Idk anymore, I’m holding onto that 10 spot so hard lol but I might need to finally just call it a L.

they give it 3,5/5 on Letterboxd. Second half was definetly problematic.

At this point I just hopedicting. Its okay to stan the movie you liked though. I just hope despite how polarizing the movie is its holds up well with the rest of his filmography

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

This movie went from annoying stans thinking it would get 5 above the line nominations to being a critically panned failed awards bait that focus is gonna dump

Imagine if you took all this hate and you talking to yourself with the other account you have, you might be able to finally move out of your Moms house! I picture you as the Will Ferrell character in Wedding Crashers is you in real life, except without the getting laid part

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Imagine if you took all this hate and you talking to yourself with the other account you have, you might be able to finally move out of your Moms house! I picture you as the Will Ferrell character in Wedding Crashers is you in real life, except without the getting laid part

Dude, he never know Uwe Boll and Michael Bay exist to know what Critically Panned/Critical Flop actually means lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

This movie is just……..fascinating lol. For all the “polarizing” label put on other Venice films, it feels like THIS is the most polarizing.

🙁 I hope it gets in somehow and is redeemable. Edgar Wright is so good, how did he make something seemingly-bad?! I think I’ll love it lol

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

This movie is just……..fascinating lol. For all the “polarizing” label put on other Venice films, it feels like THIS is the most polarizing. 🙁 I hope it gets in somehow and is redeemable. Edgar Wright is so good, how did he make something seemingly-bad?! I think I’ll love it lol

Polarizing in the sense not everyone will like it. But audiences reaction suggest that they will like it with some issues with the third act??

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

My issue with the movie is exactly the third act, and how Wright handles a certain event. Until the last 30/20 minutes I was sooo into it.

2022 Award Season, FYC:

Best Picture: TITANE, L'EVENEMENT
    Best Director: JULIA DUCOURNAU
    Best Actress: JODIE COMER
    Best Actor: BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH
    Best Supporting Actress: ANN DOWD, TONI COLLETTE
    Best Supporting Actor: WILLEM DAFOE, RICHARD JENKINS

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Dropped to 68 on Metacritic. Two negative reviews from RogerEbert.com (Robert Daniels)

Considering one of these reviewers who gave a negative review gave Old a 70 score whilst giving <i>The Personal History of David Copperfield</i> a 58 score I’m now quite confident that I am going to enjoy this film lmao.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Considering one of these reviewers who gave a negative review gave Old a 70 score whilst giving <i>The Personal History of David Copperfield</i> a 58 score I’m now quite confident that I am going to enjoy this film lmao.

Robert Daniels pretty much loathe the movie because of racial stereotype in the movie rubs him the wrong way (Imagine the way British Critics treat Spencer but its because of race)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

New promotional material for Last Night in Soho from Total Film.

Could this be considered as Overmarketing??

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

I took it out of my 10 sadly, but I still think it can get in for CD and PD, maybe score? Not sure, either way we’re going to have fun and at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I took it out of my 10 sadly, but I still think it can get in for CD and PD, maybe score? Not sure, either way we’re going to have fun and at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

I also take it out of my prediction. CD, PD, Editing and Score are still possible, though. Editing is getting highlighted as one of the main strength.

But Oscar bros said it wont happen BTL either.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 314 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.