Home Forums Movies Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 416 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Elsa Korr
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I hope Soho is a hit but it is by no means guaranteed to be. People have not been showing up for smaller films in this pandemic, unfortunately. I remember when people on hear claimed Respect would be this big crowd pleaser and people didn’t show up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

THR’s Borys Kit was at the LA premiere and tweeted this: Thoughts on #LastNightInSoho  : Prime Brian De Palma meets Hammer horror in this original supernatural thriller. It’s Edgar Wright’s most mature and immersive work yet. Worth checking out on the big screen. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

I appreciate Edgar for taking risk. At least he’s doing something different. This is an R-RATED film and I doubt the movie will do great at the Box Office. Most of the R-RATED films this year are not doing well.

And the movie is up 73% in RT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is going to be one of those movies that makes moviegoers to question what the hell are critics thinking. Especially why this has a worse reception than Free Guy or Shang Chi.

This film is SO much better than Free Guy. There was a lot depth in some of Last Night in Soho and the performances are excellent. Ryan Reynolds plays himself in every film lol.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

I appreciate Edgar for taking risk. At least he’s doing something different. This is an R-RATED film and I doubt the movie will do great at the Box Office. Most of the R-RATED films this year are not doing well.

And the movie is up 73% in RT.

Not really, most horror movies are doing quite well compared with other genres. Dramas are the ones not doing that good.

But I believe the expectations for this were too high some weeks ago and now they seem a bit too pesimistic. I think in the end it will do just okay to not be a big disaster. It is a quite enjoyable film that should attract audiences (even though it is not a very good movie, but that doesn’t stop any of the other mediocre movies that have done well recently)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Horror movies have been doing well this year in theaters. I don’t think this will bomb on the level of Tammy Faye and Last Duel. Like others stated, I hope people go see it this weekend and enjoy it! It’s a really fun roller coaster of a film that’s both beautiful to look at and thrilling to watch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I feel like this is going to be one of those “Love it or hate it” kind of movies like Joker where FilmNerds and Critics are extremely divided on particular subject matter and themes but average Audiences will really enjoy.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cabelo da Shiv
    Topics:

People from outside my film bubble have been talking about being excited to watch this, if that means anything. There seems to be a bunch of different types of crowds who are insterested in watching this. I really hope it does well.

Can’t wait to watch when it comes out in my country on Nov. 18th!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Taika Waititi, Bryan Fuller, Rian Johnson, Brett Goldstein and James Gunn are some of the people I’ve seen praising the movie. Waititi tweeted a rave. This is going to be one of those movies that makes moviegoers to question what the hell are critics thinking. Especially why this has a worse reception than Free Guy or Shang Chi.

I think some aspects and portrayals on the movie are what probably rubs critics the wrong way (and I believed some are taken out of context, Wolfali pls confirm this). As dumb as Free Guy is, it doesnt have thematic nor sensitive subject matter in it that Critics may give it a pass for it.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think some aspects and portrayals on the movie are what probably rubs critics the wrong way (and I believed some are taken out of context, Wolfali pls confirm this). As dumb as Free Guy is, it doesnt have thematic nor sensitive subject matter in it that Critics may give it a pass for it.

It’s hard to go into my issues with the film at length right now because they’re really spoilery and most people on here haven’t seen it. I guess what’s so frustrating about them is that they were issues that were so easily fixable and felt completely non sensical in an otherwise great screenplay.

There’s something the final act does that’s so small but for me undermines everything the film had built up beforehand in its messaging. It almost feels like a completely different person wrote the screenplay for five minutes that I only have to assume that a specific moment in the film was written differently on paper and with the same nuances that the other 3/4s of the film had and just didn’t translate well on screen. Almost like when you’re having a conversation with someone and you misspeak and your words are interpreted differently and it’s a bit of an awkward situation.

That being said it’s still an incredibly entertaining and memorable film (Edgar Wright really did well on the directing front) and I would still give it 8/10. The technicals on this film are some of the best of any this year, the performances are fantastic and it was worth watching not only on the big screen but just as a film as a whole. I definitely think whilst I do agree with some of the criticism from critics, some of it has been a bit over blown. I saw one critic give this a D and Free Guy an A and just no. For me the film’s flaws stopped it from being one of the top 10 films of the year rather than it making the film one that deserves a mid 60s metacritic rating.

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Asia and Dario Argento liked Last Night In Soho

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The film has been getting a really strong reception in the industry on this side of the pond. Russell T. Davies gave it a rave.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boolbameroon
    Topics:

I saw this movie in cinemas today and I need it to get a production design and cinematography nom!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

I loved it. One of the most visually stunning horrors/psychological thrillers in a while. All of Edgar’s films are very well edited and this was no exception. The social commentary in the film was nicely written. Anya Taylor-Joy cannot be stopped. Her performance is easily one of the best of the year. Thomasin very much proved she’s capable of being a lead. Also really loved Matt Smith and Diana Rigg. The production design and costumes were great and perfectly captured the Swinging Sixties.

I think like everyone else, my only problem was the ending. I didn’t hate it. Far from it. I just thought it lost some of it’s charm.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

The movie was good 4/5. But it isn’t getting any noms. Too much of a competetive year for a movie that won’t make a dent and is quite a genre film. If anybody still has hopes, it’s wishful thinking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 416 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.