Home Forums Movies Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 416 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Elsa Korr
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

I just hope neither of the lead actresses would be labelled as “Box Office Poison”

Eh this year is a write off, so many mid-budget movies flopped horribly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

On a separate note it’s kind of surprising at how poorly the box office is doing in the US this weekend. I would have thought people would rush to see films on Halloween but even Dune’s gross went down by like 62% lol. Congratulations to the director of whatever My Hero Academia is lmao. https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-last-night-in-soho-my-hero-academia-halloween-weekend-box-office-1234864873/embed/#?secret=fcERk7TRVK

My Hero Academia has more appeal towards People aged 17 or Below and its a popular anime franchise in the west with such strong yet toxic following

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Eh this year is a write off, so many mid-budget movies flopped horribly.

Example?

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Prince1
    Topics:

It’s so upsetting seeing all these mid budget, non-franchise films flopping.

How did this cost 43M?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve had my issues with aspects of the film but I was hoping that its box office performance could save cinema from the domination of franchises.

I guess it’s the final straw for non IP based studio films. Sigh.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Example?

Reminiscence with Hugh Jackman, doubt he’d have trouble finding work suddenly.

The Last Duel with Affleck and Damon.

In The Heights, but Lin Manuel Miranda will still be a hot property in Hollywood.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

I would have thought people would rush to see films on Halloween but even Dune’s gross went down by like 62%.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-last-night-in-soho-my-hero-academia-halloween-weekend-box-office-1234864873/embed/#?secret=fcERk7TRVK

62% is quite normal for this type of films, I think. Venom 2, F9, Black Widow, No Time to Die had similar second weekend drops

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

62% is quite normal for this type of films, I think. Venom 2, F9, Black Widow, No Time to Die had similar second weekend drops

Also nearly every HBO Max movie this year has had a bad drop. It’s hard to compete with free.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

In a pandemic yes but not in normal times which was what my point was.

It’s safe to say that the box office hasn’t really returned to normal yet. Hopefully things will only get better (both with regards to the pandemic and the box office recovery) next year.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Wolvie13
    Topics:

I ve seen it almost a month ago but had to keep the secret 🙂

I like it a lot although i must say i had realized the plot twist from the trailers ( they could not have been giving us so much for the movie, and i was sure they were just misleading us) Anya once again proves she is a pure gem and she can do great things in that industry ( Scott Frank was so right when he said that when she is in the room, you can’t look anyone else but her!!) Thomasin was great too and they do make a great duo (maybe in the title of this topic her name should be put too, i mean she is the leading actress). Diana Rigg, what a great performance!!

Matt Smith seemed so freakin creepy, as he should

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lolo's
    Topics:

In a pandemic yes but not in normal times which was what my point was.

It’s safe to say that the box office hasn’t really returned to normal yet. Hopefully things will only get better (both with regards to the pandemic and the box office recovery) next year.

True. But still with the pandemic, there is another horror movie with lower budget, no big stars or director, barely promoted, less screens and lower audience scores which is going to do quite similar numbers.

I don’t know if it wasn’t marketed well enough or there wasn’t that much interest to begin with in this movie

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

It’s not surprising that LNIS only managed to open 4+m. The tracking for this film even a month ago was around similar numbers. An R-rated film that isn’t a remake/sequel will find hard to bring audiences. Not even the straight up horror film Malignant. That’s the way it is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Saw the film last night. I thought the first act dragged a bit, but really picks up with the second act. Also the editing is RAVISHING. It’s the best editing I have seen all year having seen Dune as well. When Eloise is prepared to have her first vision, the editing really becomes something special. I also thought the sound design was surprisingly excellent. Anya’s charisma is palpable and I could not take my eyes off her. The third act goes in a zany direction that will rub people the wrong way and goes into somewhat cliche territory imo. That being said, I think I enjoyed the third act more than most people and had a lot of fun with THAT encounter Eloise has with someone which I’m sure you will be aware of what I’m talking about if you have seen the film.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Lol at somebody acting like my writing that the opening day was wrong because I  wrote 1.9 mil instead of 1.92 mil. As if that 2 will make any difference. The film is still flopping by making 5 million. Older people still aren’t ready to go back to theaters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/1454470804486475782

Another one

Ben Stiller liked this tweet

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 416 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.