Home Forums Movies Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 416 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Elsa Korr
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lol were you guys as surprised by who played the young cop? It’s an uncredited cameo!

I was slightly lol. But ultimately every time I see Sam Clafin on screen I’m blinded by his looks…

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

SPOILERS BELOW

My problem with the third act is purely how the social messaging ends up being framed. It felt really counter to what the film had set up and rather problematic.

Maybe I’m not sure I get what you mean. I feel like the final act’s messaging was sort of…banal? (like obviously this sort of stuff can happen as a consequence of the terrible shit, it’s a tale as old as time). It definitely made Eloise look a little stupid though because I’d already wondered about the name, but given how it ended and how Eloise reacted in the end, I dunno, I guess I just thought “OK sure fine yeah, that happened……I guess….”

lol I dunno how to explain it, maybe it’s because I watch too many trashy horror movies for my own good (they’re like my reality-TV equivalent for when I want to shut my brain off) and am used to twists like this. I dunno, I feel like we……. usually agree on what’s problematic (i.e. the two of us) so I dunno why I didn’t feel that way

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I was slightly lol. But ultimately every time I see Sam Clafin on screen I’m blinded by his looks…

It took my a good few secs though because I feel like…..they put some prosthetics on him or aged him up or something, I went to IMDb immediately to see if I was right

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

MORE SPOILERS BELOW

I quite liked how they depicted the psychological impact the abusers had on Sandie and how they stole her dreams and ambitions away from her. I thought that was quite nuanced and I did admire the final shot we had of Sandie in the mirror of Eloise’s past. It felt very powerful and dark and symbolised the sadly real nature that victims of sexual assault and rape face in the world. The vulnerable are often left out of the picture or on the side. Their names and their pain are left out of history whilst the trauma they faced continues on in a cycle.

My main issue with the framing was more or less just that moment in which the ghosts ask Eloise to kill Sandy. I thought it was quite a problematic inclusion, counter-acted the film’s initial feminist overtones and really just felt out of place. Had that been left out my score of the film would be at 9 or 10 instead of 8 and I’m sure the critical score would be much higher. We can understand that Sandy experienced a loss of innocence and was wrongfully trying to kill Eloise without having to see the point of view of those disgusting men who abused her and it was such a shame to see two fantastic writers go down that road.

Whilst I’m here and completely separate to this conversation can I just ask was I the only person who noticed the resemblance between Diana Rigg and ATJ IRL? I mean if you look at their Wikipedia pages they’re almost identical.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Even just the first scene of Thomasin dancing…even just that ONE scene—this girl can definitely carry a movie. She probably shouldn’t because she’s capable of the kinds of weird transformations that character actors usually do, but it reminded of Audrey Hepburn, like I said, but she can totally do the charisma that Hathaway had in The Princess Diaries, Stone in Easy A, Dunst in Bring it On… she can do that, she’s got great comic timing too, it just came easily to her imo, and sort of just like Hathaway and Dunst she’s probably better served NOT being an industry leading lady. That’s much more Anya’s path.

I lowkey wanted her to be more a leading lady to be honest.

and even her future projects (BBC Miniseries and Kerri Strug’s Biopic) will have her as a lead.

FINALLY saw this and have so many thoughts but mainly: I don’t get why this film got panned?!   

74% Tomatoscore and 67 Metascore aren’t panned. Soho just received passionate hate from certain demographic from FilmTwitter and LetterBoxd crowds.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It has 3.7 on Letterboxd (just higher than The World’s End and lower than Baby Driver) so it’s not like it was universally hated there either.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

It has 3.7 on Letterboxd (just higher than The World’s End and lower than Baby Driver) so it’s not like it was universally hated there either.

Top reviews/users hated it (Same can be said on Joker)

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

My main issue with the framing … counter-acted the film’s initial feminist overtones and really just felt out of place.

(Edited out the spoilery parts in the quote so this post isn’t spoilery)

Ah OK yeah. I see what you mean. Yeah I can see that. I thought at the time that Eloise’s unequivocal “no” was enough but even bringing them up at that time was very unnecessary. Okay. Yeah I feel that.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    tsc
    Topics:

Focus about Last Night in Soho box office:

“I am just really happy we got this movie out into theaters,” said Focus distribution chief Lisa Bunnell. “We achieved what we wanted to with the film and for Edgar.” The director, a vocal advocate for theatrical films, is now in the U.K. promoting Last Night after a focused marketing blitz Stateside”.

“Adult movies now are not trackable. It’s nobody’s fault. It’s the pandemic. All of the ways we used to judge where movies are going, up or down, are less reliable.”

‘Last Night In Soho’ “Achieved What We Wanted,” Says Focus Features: Pros & Cons Of Wide Releasing Arthouse Films – Specialty Box Office

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:

Saw the movie last night and loved it! I didn’t see at all the problem people have with the third act. I was waiting for the moment people « hated » and when the film was done I was like « huhhh ok? That’s it? What’s the problem about it?! » I completely loved the final.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

FilmTwitter and LB Top Users seems to purposefully targeted Edgar Wright lol…

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

FilmTwitter and LB Top Users seems to purposefully targeted Edgar Wright lol…

I just don’t get it with some of this people. Edgar finally made something different and yet here we are. Lol. I understand the criticism but some of them are hilariously extreme.

The same with Eternals, people complaining about Marvel and Chloe finally made something different and yet they didn’t like it because the movie was not Marvel like. Lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I just don’t get it with some of this people. Edgar finally made something different and yet here we are. Lol. I understand the criticism but some of them are hilariously extreme. The same with Eternals, people complaining about Marvel and Chloe finally made something different and yet they didn’t like it because the movie was not Marvel like. Lol.

Yep. At least, Zhao and Eternals didnt have multiple articles shitting against it lol.

In Edgar and Soho’s case, they wrote articles and essays (not reviews)to shit on Soho in regard of various aspects, ranging of its handling of sensitive subject matter (understandable) and how Wright’s failed to applies Giallo influences on Soho (and how James Wan Succeeded with Malignant). At the very worse, people pretend that Neon Demon is better than this (personal opinion but I kinda disliked Neon Demon)

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

Yeah…. I don’t know about this one. Technically, there is no doubt that this is a great achievement and Edgar Wright definitely captured the right vibe for the time period, and even the different genres he was trying to blend together, but the problem for me is that this story never came together in a way that was narratively and emotionally satisfying, and that kind of offsets whatever technical achievements are realized. There were a lot of loose ends and unrealistic turns that could’ve made more sense if I understood what tone Wright wanted me to buy into, but because there was a juggling of multiple ideas and moods, I could never tell if the story was being played straight, winkingly, melodramatically, or whatnot. There are massive logic leaps and really undefined or unrealized character motivations that serve more to drive a plot point or serve a twist than to tell a cohesive story. The third act isn’t necessarily a failure of storytelling, it was the matter in which it got to that point that really threw me off and left me unsatisfied. Thomasin McKenzie is at a 10 from about 45 minutes into the movie, and spends the rest of the film running around, losing her fucking mind. I can’t comprehend how we’re supposed to believe she’s still allowed to proceed without consequences with some of the film’s later twists. The final twenty minutes are interesting, because I could totally forgive the shlockier elements from a stylistic point of view, but the “logic” doesn’t align with the characters that have been developed in the prior hour and a half, in my opinion. The last five minutes were nearly appalling and dreamlike. But like I said earlier, where the story seems to really fail all around, nearly every other element of the film makes up for that experience. The cinematography, production design, costume design, and sound create a captivating world (though the story didn’t work for me, these elements kept me rapt). I’ve already expressed some misgivings about McKenzie’s character, but her performance is very good though over the top. Anya Taylor-Joy, as has been mentioned before, is such a magnetic presence and this film solidified that we’ll be lucky to see her on our screen for decades to come. It is such an assured “movie star” performance that we rarely get nowadays, and my only issue is that I wish we’d had even more time with her. Matt Smith did exactly what I expected him to do and did it very well. Michael Ajao was actually pretty charming even though I found his character to be completely one dimensional and unrealistically involved. And Diana Rigg is really great in her final film role and gets to show off the full spectrum of why she was such a huge screen presence. But yeah, I can’t really say that I liked this film all that much given my many storytelling issues. It is a film I think I could return to one day to try and rationalize, but I’m not sure I’ll really think of this as anything other than a visually captivating but emotionally empty exercise.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Thomasin McKenzie is at a 10 from about 45 minutes into the movie, and spends the rest of the film running around, losing her fucking mind. … I’ve already expressed some misgivings about McKenzie’s character, but her performance is very good though over the top. Anya Taylor-Joy, as has been mentioned before, is such a magnetic presence and this film solidified that we’ll be lucky to see her on our screen for decades to come.

I mean, I do really feel bad for McKenzie lol, because the repetition was GONZO, like OMG PLEASE STOP WITH THE CONSTANT HAUNTINGS WE GET IT. The fact that she didn’t entirely devolve into a generic scream queen is impressive, she was toggling quite a lot of different things in the film. Overall, I’m impressed by her a great deal. Anya is of course everything that you said, but she’s also more or less what we get in the trailer. I know McKenzie’s not the kind of actor who will get acclaim for being the way she is (she can be gorgeous, mawkish, glam and also switch it off, like a character actor. Anya is a magnetic movie star . I was pretty impressed by McKenzie, ngl. She has a very bright future in the immediate, she just needs a mature role and not get typecast into playing young forevermore.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 416 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.