Home Forums Movies Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 416 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Elsa Korr
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    vertibort6
    Topics:

Sam Claflin looks impressively better in brunette than blonde. I would consider going brunette if I were him.

And that’s all I have to say about this film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Saw it

I have some issues. Some horror elements are wack and uninspired (should have stick with Eloise hallucinations of voice and blurry visions instead of resorting to Ghouls and Ghosts) and repetitive. Some sequences feels so out of place (The staircase sequence is…uh..oh). Wright is just awful in writing love interests with the simp guy.

Moving on to the good things:

(SPOILER ALERT)

I don’t find any of the commentary on sex workers to be Exploitative (some people claimed so that it got immense hate from certain demographic on FilmTwitter). In fact, People overlook one themes that I found the most interesting: The shattered dream/aspiration of Eloise and Sandie. Both are young woman with burning aspiration and dreams that got shattered quickly (Eloise with his first impression with London and her mates and 1960s, Sandie who’s dream ruined by the 11th Doctor). I like how Eloise and Sandie parallels each other in so many ways yet they are opposite side on the same coin (Eloise with her innocence, vulnerability and shyness yet she’s so careful and anticipative. Sandie with her confidence, seductiveness and boldness yet she’s so naive and easy to be manipulated). Performance wise, Anya, Rigg, Stamp and McKenzie are excellent, though I think Anya is a little bit underused yet she’s so electric. Rigg and Stamp got the powerful monologue at the end of their appearances. This is, IMO (Maybe Im biased but whatever) McKenzie’s acting showcase from start to finish where she display immense acting range and I cant wait to see what she has in the future.  Matt Smith is great for what he’s been given.

Additional cons:
    No one dressed as Austin Powers in the Halloween Party

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Pierce
    Topics:

Thomasin MacKenzie more like BTEC Jared Leto.

A very annoying young man, who loves cinema. 🙂

Twitter: https://twitter.com/pierce_sir
    Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/11higuys/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Wolvie13
    Topics:

Saw it I have some issues. Some horror elements are wack and uninspired (should have stick with Eloise hallucinations of voice and blurry visions instead of resorting to Ghouls and Ghosts) and repetitive. Some sequences feels so out of place (The staircase sequence is…uh..oh). Wright is just awful in writing love interests with the simp guy. 

huge spoilers ALERT!!!!

totally agree. Plus i had also my disagreement to what Sandie turned into after the “fight” with Jack. Was she that traumatized (maybe beyond help) that she continued in the path he putted her just seeking for revenge? And i didn’t like that for a moment she turned against Elloise who was always on her side

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

huge spoilers ALERT!!!! totally agree. Plus i had also my disagreement to what Sandie turned into after the “fight” with Jack. Was she that traumatized (maybe beyond help) that she continued in the path he putted her just seeking for revenge? And i didn’t like that for a moment she turned against Elloise who was always on her side

SPOILER ALERT:

Alexandra=Arthur Fleck. Alexandra started out as naively optimistic and trust Jack too easily before she got lured into forced to sleep with Jack’s peers. Much like Arthur, all the abuse she endured turned her naive optimism into hardened bitterness and ruined who she was completely and after Jack’s demise, she seeks vengeance against those who oppressed her (much like Joker). Though after all, Sandie’s acknowledge her sins and the movie seems try to portray Sandie as more nuanced Villain. Joker glorifies Arthur’s crime

At that point, She can’t trust anybody, not even Eloise since Eloise already reported to Police (hence Alexandra finds Eloise Is Not Trustworthy and killing her and her Boyfriend would have covered her crimes). She did it so her actions remain covered and no one will know had Eloise and John died there.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boogiezen
    Topics:

Well at least the New York Times gave it a positive review.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Well at least the New York Times gave it a positive review.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

66 on MC on 52 Reviews. 17 of them are 80+ including THR, Indiewire, NY Times, ScreenInternational and Chicago Sun Times

This is overlooked since FilmTwitter wont stop throwing shades on Edgar Wright for his “failure” to make a horror film using his influence from Argento, Polanski rtc and his failure to make a social commentary out of this movie

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Off Topic, but not really, as it has to do with Anya. I just watched Thoroughbreds. My god, if you haven’t already seen it and you’re an ATJ fan, it’s an ABSOLUTE must. Not only is this a great movie, but it’s also Anyas best performance outside of Queens Gambit and The Witch. What her and Olivia Cooke pull off is nothing short of captivating mesmerizing performances. I promise you guys won’t be disappointed.

She’s going to be one big Star this decade darling. Oscar noms will be a sure thing for her next time.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION DARLING.
    Tessa Thompson, Lead Actress for PASSING
    Ruth Negga, Supporting Actress for PASSING
    Charlotte Rampling, Supporting Actress for BENEDETTA
    Martha Plimpton, Supporting Actress for MASS
    Arawinda Kirana, Lead Actress for YUNI
    Kathryn Hunter, Supporting Actress for THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

Despite a great ATJ performance, this movie was frustratingly predictable, cliched, and overall pretty bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Edgar Wright making a divisive movie is something all of us wouldnt expect, yet here we are.

A difficult year for Auteurs so far. Wes Anderson, Edgar Wright and Chloe Zhao

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Edgar Wright making a divisive movie is something all of us wouldnt expect, yet here we are. A difficult year for Auteurs so far. Wes Anderson, Edgar Wright and Chloe Zhao

Last Night in Soho isn’t “divisive” though. Same with The French Dispatch.

Are they universally acclaimed? No. But they both still have had quite a strong reception from audiences (Soho has a 7.5 IMDB score and a 90% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, The French Dispatch has done well at the box office) and they still have greens on Metacritic and have scores in their 70s on Rotten Tomatoes. Regardless of awards that’s more than a lot of films have.

On the other hand you are correct in saying Eternals is a divisive film. Poor Chloe Zhao. A lot of Marvel projects over the years have definitely deserved rotten scores (I’m looking at you Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Black Widow) so it’s sad to see her film (and one with a diverse cast) be the first to receive one.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Last Night in Soho isn’t “divisive” though. Same with The French Dispatch. Are they universally acclaimed? No. But they both still have had quite a strong reception from audiences (Soho has a 7.5 IMDB score and a 90% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, The French Dispatch has done well at the box office) and they still have greens on Metacritic and have scores in their 70s on Rotten Tomatoes. Regardless of awards that’s more than a lot of films have. On the other hand you are correct in saying Eternals is a divisive film. Poor Chloe Zhao. A lot of Marvel projects over the years have definitely deserved rotten scores (I’m looking at you Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Black Widow) so it’s sad to see her film (and one with a diverse cast) be the first to receive one.

I’d consider Soho to be more divisive due to amount of hate that it gets from certain demographic of FilmTwitter and Letterboxd Top Users all give it low ratings (Well.. Joker scored 3.8 on LB but top reviews all mostly slanders. Same case with Soho, currently sits at 3.6 on LB with all top reviews are mostly slanders)

French Dispatch isn’t necessarily divisive to the “Love it or Hate it” movies like Soho, but its more due to its middling reception and some consider this to be a “letdown”, but its not getting as much hate as Soho, at least from those particular crowds.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I finally had a chance to watch this and I enjoyed it. It’s entertaining, it’s masterfully directed by Edgar Wright and it’s stunning to look at. It might not be the most insightful depiction of mental illness, sexual exploitation and trauma, but I don’t think it’s pretending to be that kind of movie. I think that it’s more about the dangers of romanticizing the past and the shattering of one’s dreams when confronted with reality.

On the down side, in the middle section, before all the twists, I started to have the feeling that it was more style than substance. Eloise was haunted so many times that I was wondering when and if the story would go on. Then when the twists came I sort of forgot that and I enjoyed the rest of the movie.

I liked Thomasin McKenzie more than Anya Taylor-Joy to be honest, but it’s probably because Anya was mostly dancing and posing, while McKenzie had a lot more to do. Too bad that Ellie’s love interest was underdeveloped and for a long time I thought he must be gay because he’s a fashion student, lol.

In an ideal world this would be in the conversation for Cinematography, Production Design and Editing at least. Oh, and the needle drops were great! Too bad this didn’t make a dent at the box office.

All in all, this was entertaining and I don’t understand the nasty comments on LB. Honestly, I think these people have never seen a giallo (Italian exploitation movies from the 1970s). This was very reminiscent for me of the crazy ride that is Dario Argento’s “Suspiria” , where a girl is accepted in a dance school in a new city and everything turns into a nightmare, with neon lights too! To tell you the truth, I liked LNIS more than Baby Driver.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Thomasin and Anya were good. Edgar Wright hasn’t ended a movie on a strong note since Hot Fuzz I think, though the third act of this movie was weak even by his standards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 416 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.