Home Forums Movies Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

Last Night In Soho (2021) (Edgar Wright, Anya Taylor Joy Psycho-Thriller)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 406 through 416 (of 416 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Elsa Korr
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I finally had a chance to watch this and I enjoyed it. It’s entertaining, it’s masterfully directed by Edgar Wright and it’s stunning to look at. It might not be the most insightful depiction of mental illness, sexual exploitation and trauma, but I don’t think it’s pretending to be that kind of movie. I think that it’s more about the dangers of romanticizing the past and the shattering of one’s dreams when confronted with reality.

On the down side, in the middle section, before all the twists, I started to have the feeling that it was more style than substance. Eloise was haunted so many times that I was wondering when and if the story would go on. Then when the twists came I sort of forgot that and I enjoyed the rest of the movie.

I liked Thomasin McKenzie more than Anya Taylor-Joy to be honest, but it’s probably because Anya was mostly dancing and posing, while McKenzie had a lot more to do. Too bad that Ellie’s love interest was underdeveloped and for a long time I thought he must be gay because he’s a fashion student, lol.

In an ideal world this would be in the conversation for Cinematography, Production Design and Editing at least. Oh, and the needle drops were great! Too bad this didn’t make a dent at the box office.

All in all, this was entertaining and I don’t understand the nasty comments on LB. Honestly, I think these people have never seen a giallo (Italian exploitation movies from the 1970s). This was very reminiscent for me of the crazy ride that is Dario Argento’s “Suspiria” , where a girl is accepted in a dance school in a new city and everything turns into a nightmare, with neon lights too! To tell you the truth, I liked LNIS more than <i>Baby Driver.</i>

Funny that FilmTwitter think Edgar Wright failed to embrace giallo in Soho like Malignant did (According to their Ecochamber lol). And on the top of that, This is 100× Times better than Neon Demon (where people draw comparison)

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

the third act of this movie was weak even by his standards.

I didn’t find it weak in the third act tbh, because I was expecting some twists. I found it dragged a little in the middle. Maybe the problem with LNIS is that it’s in a weird limbo between commercial horror and arthouse movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

I didn’t find it weak in the third act tbh, because I was expecting some twists. I found it dragged a little in the middle. Maybe the problem with LNIS is that it’s in a weird limbo between commercial horror and arthouse movie.

I also thought it was weak in the middle if it’s any help.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Maybe the problem with LNIS is that it’s in a weird limbo between commercial horror and arthouse movie.

Which made it divisive. Though its not as bad as FilmTwitter made it out to be

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Funny that FilmTwitter think Edgar Wright failed to embrace giallo in Soho like Malignant did (According to their Ecochamber lol). And on the top of that, This is 100× Times better than Neon Demon (where people draw comparison)

I haven’t seen “The Neon Demon” and “Malignant” so I can’t say, but in LNIS there were so many things reminiscent of giallo and not only stylistically. For example, the plot of a giallo often involves a wide-eyed young woman in a new foreign city witnessing other women being brutally killed and becoming obsessed with solving the murder. You can argue that the pseudo-feminist spin on giallo doesn’t work as well as Wright wanted to (you end up thinking “is this even feminist though?”),  but maybe that’s a problem of our time that we always have to find what is “problematic”. Anyway, pretty enjoyable movie in my opinion. Perhaps not top 10 of the year, but good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Finally got round to watching it, and I enjoyed it. The film does fall apart in the third act though, but Anya was amazing and Diana Rigg was really good too. I loved the music chosen for the film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Watched this some days ago, it was kinda bad. Thought I’d enjoy more. Anya and Thomasin were also not good and I believe Wright is not good in directing actors. He really did homage to all his cinema inspirarions there it’s clear but not like it elevates much.
    I agree on many who said Diana Rigg is the best but also I don’t lose sleep for her lack of contention.

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I totally enjoyed this film.. Anya was so good. I find Thomasin to be the weak line

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Belfast for everything - Best Picture win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cabelo da Shiv
    Topics:

I watched it last week and still don’t know how I feel about it. I think is good, the first half is definetely better than the second half. But I think my biggest disappointment is that the movie is no fun. It’s actually very forgettable. And the thing I’ve always loved about Edgar’s movies is that, even though they’re not perfect, they”d always have that rewatchable quality. This… It’s just there.

All of that said, technicals and performances are to be appreciated. But yeah.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I totally enjoyed this film.. Anya was so good. I find Thomasin to be the weak line

You already convinced yourself Thomasin won’t be good months ago and here you are now. Fine tho, opinions exist and like what tou like

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

You already convinced yourself Thomasin won’t be good months ago and here you are now. Fine tho, opinions exist and like what tou like

She wasn’t super convincing as the traumatised one. It was always too obvious. She was better in Jojo Rabbit and Leave No Trace is her best….she was so good there

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Belfast for everything - Best Picture win

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 11 posts - 406 through 416 (of 416 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.