Home Forums Movies LATE NIGHT (2019)

LATE NIGHT (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Foolio
AMG
adamunc
  • Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

The new trailer just dropped for “Late Night,” a major Sundance property and recent Amazon acquisition.

Written by Mindy Kaling, who also stars in it opposite Emma Thompson. Also stars Hugh Dancy, Reid Scott, John Lithgow, & Amy Ryan.

Directed by Nisha Ganatra.

Release date is June 7, 2019.

Trailer here:

https://youtu.be/DxefiCjQirw

Discuss.

AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

A fantastic (contemporary) Emma Thompson is who, and what, shines brightest in this entertaining film.

Thompson – who is so often cast in period pieces, it feels SO GOOD to have her showcased in something a lot more current – steals the show, with great balances of humour and pain in her performance.

The rest of the film is good and enjoyable. The script has great moments in it, bought to life by Emma Thompson (have I mentioned, she’s pretty good in this?); though never fully takes off in the way it potentially could have.

Still a thoroughly recommended watch, and probably a darn sight better than the majority of blockbusters we’ll have this year!

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny, entertaining, and almost secretly clever feminist commentary on show business sexism and the Me Too movement – it looks and feels so featherweight it’s easy to miss how intelligently it deals with these issues. It’s also astonishingly well directed; the pace is relentless even when the script threatens to stumble into genre cliches.

One of Emma Thompson’s career best turns and that’s saying a lot. She will be a major contender for a Supporting Actress nod if campaigned. Sadly, I doubt this will be a contender elsewhere even though the screenplay and direction in particular are more than deserving.

Even though Thompson will likely overshadow Mindy Kaling in reviews, I must say Kaling gives a really good performance as well – she’s at once a traditional rom-com heroine and everything but; a multi-layered character you genuinely side with; and effortlessly, sometimes outrageously funny.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

Campaigned or not, I doubt she’d go supporting.

Why?

I know she is a borderline case and if she was Jennifer Lawrence she would go Lead without any question. But many predictors seem to have her in Supporting and it would make sense for the studio push her there – she’d have a much better shot.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Why?

I know she is a borderline case and if she was Jennifer Lawrence she would go Lead without any question. But many predictors seem to have her in Supporting and it would make sense for the studio push her there – she’d have a much better shot.

I watched the film and saw Thompson as the lead, and Kaling as Supporting.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  AMG.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  AMG.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

I watched the film and saw Thompson as the lead, and Kaling as Supporting.

For me they were co-leads and pushing Thompson in Supporting would be borderline fraud. But as we know, that would be nothing new.

ReplyCopy URL
    ScandalWife
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw this last night. Did not laugh as much as Booksmart but overall I liked the film more then Booksmart. Emma Thompson was AMAZING and could not believe how much I loved her in this film. John Lithgow (for a small role) really brought tears to my eye. Reid Scott (who I have had a crush on since the first season of Veep) did a nice job here. Nothing too flashy but I did enjoy him. Paul Walter Hauser ( who I LOVED in I, Tonya and Blackkklansmen) did a very good job with his one liners. Mindy Kaling Script and performance were both good. I thought she made some very interesting choices with the film and where it went but overall it was a good one. I hope people see it!

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  ScandalWife.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  ScandalWife.
    ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

So happy to read these reviews! I am convinced and will see this over the weekend! (: I adore Emma Thompson and am so glad there is something worth seeing! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Mindy Kaling and Emma Thompson is the Queen of Everything. I’m seeing this tonight and can’t wait!

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

To Dame Emma Thompson:

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw this last weekend and it is a really great crowd-pleasing film. Mindy Kaling and Emma Thompson are quite the dynamic duo and their chemistry is off the charts. This was maybe the best Kaling has ever been on camera. Thompson was great and made what could be a distinguishably unlikable character someone to root for. The supporting cast is all great too. I wish we’d gotten more time with Amy Ryan and John Lithgow, but the fact that those great actors came onto a film for a few scenes apiece says something about the film. Kaling’s script was sharp and witty, but still plays by the rules and gives us something that is overall just extremely enjoyable. Could the film have gone a little deeper and darker? Absolutely. But I don’t think that is the end product Kaling was going for here, and that is okay. I’m not sure a snarkier or more realistic version of this film is the better version. Kaling instead gives us a really fun workplace comedy that is extremely rewatchable and leaves you giddy.

ReplyCopy URL
    adamunc
    Participant
    Topics:

For sheer entertainment value, this is my favorite of the year so far. Kaling’s script does traffic in some workplace comedy tropes (albeit with her distinctive stamp), but it also takes things in some brave and fascinating directions as well at times. The only other quibble would be that the marvelous Amy Ryan is stuck in a thankless role as a network president who is unconvincingly wishy-washy about the management of her flagship late-night property.

Otherwise, this is a breezy, funny ride with each role perfectly cast. John Lithgow does some of his most nuanced work in a long time and Broadway staple Annaleigh Ashford has a hilarious scene as a YouTube celebrity who will have none of being mocked by an interviewer. Kaling is wonderfully appealing and heartfelt without being overly noble or cloying.

Then we have Emma Thompson, who absolutely devours her best role in eons. She’s wickedly funny tossing off cutting remarks, but also makes her character’s growing self-awareness both completely believable and quietly heartbreaking. Her entire performance is a master class, from making something as simple as climbing stairs a hilarious gag all the way to a cathartic on-air confession. I hope she is remembered well come awards time.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Just came back from this and I thought it was excellent! Mindy Kaling continues to impress as one of the biggest comedic talents of her generation, while Emma Thompson delivers an astonishing performance.

Grade : A

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Just came back from this and I thought it was excellent! Mindy Kaling continues to impress as one of the biggest comedic talents of her generation, while Emma Thompson delivers an astonishing performance.

Grade : A

You didn’t think Thompson was the lead?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.