Home Forums Movies MA (2019)

MA (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
EsOS
M: The Original
ENGLAND
  • Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

Im cool with Octavia getting two golden globe nominations(Shes for sure getting in for the Apple drama series Truth be told)

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Currently 53 on Metacritic with 34 reviews.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Pretty slight and ridiculous film. I guess Octavia Spencer now has access to the kinds of shitty B-level films that only white A-listers were allowed to play when they decided to go “slumming.” Yay, progress! The kids weren’t all that compelling and nondescript here, so I might have been more invested in this flimsy screenplay with better actors. Of the adults cast, only Juliette Lewis made the most of her screentime to do something better than was probably necessary. I think I read that Allison Janney did this cameo role as a favor to Tate Taylor while campaigning for “I, Tonya.” Luke Evans and Missi Pyle weren’t given much to do. And speaking of Taylor, I didn’t realize until now that he played the cop! Like, wow? I still see his limitations as a director, but I rewatched parts of “The Help” yesterday on cable, and I can’t help but think he struck lightning there. It was the right story, the right time, the right actors, the right book, etc. The same limitations are present, but I can forgive them more there than here. The audience didn’t yuck it up like I thought they would either. Some stretches seemed to actually bore them. Anyways, see this if you’re an Octavia purist, and even then, wait for Netflix or TNT.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

People need to lighten up! “Ma” is a trashy yet fun B-movie with a lot of camp appeal.

Octavia Spencer is sensational at creating a terrifying and sympathetic character.

Yes it’s cliched and predictable at certain parts. But that’s what makes it so accessible. I’d definitely watch it again.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Spark87
    Participant
    Topics:

It is not a masterpiece, but it is a very entertaining film. Enjoyable in every sense.

On the other hand, I’m going to say something really fearless. Octavia Spencer is destined to win her second Oscar in a time range of 10 years.

She has proven herself capable of diverse registers and of acting them in a wonderful way. If she continues to choose roles so intelligently, she will win another Oscar within 10 years. Mark my words.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.