Home Forums Movies Makeup in Films 2011

Makeup in Films 2011

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
Adam Waldowski
awardskel
Carbon Based ..
  • awardskel
    Topics:

The category I am most upset with at the moment is makeup. Last year we
    had Black Swan and ultimately Barney’s Version and The Way Back (even
    Oscar winner The Wolfman, which had some great makeup work by the great
    Rick Baker). The year before, we had District 9 and Star Trek. The year
    before that, there is the now-iconic work on The Dark Knight and
    Benjamin Button.

This year, there is very little to be excited about. Nothing that could really be considered iconic or mimicked. Here are the films I think stand out the most. Let me know what you think is the best.

The Iron Lady – the traditional aging process done real well on its stars Meryl Streep and Jim Broadbent, both Oscar winners. The makeup is a plot device (at least the various character ages are) and one of the few in the film that actually works. The Academy loves aging work, especially when done well.

J. Edgar – more aging work. This time, it is much more jarring and shocking. DiCaprio looks well under the prosthetics, but Armie Hammer’s makeup is comical, disturbing and getting criticized. This could hurt the film’s most potential nomination.

The Green Lantern – Peter Sarsgaard’s head keeps getting bigger and bigger and populated mostly by large and bruding veins. Someone needs to pop this bubble before it gets nominated.

The Artist – classy, elegant makeup and hair designs. The makeup may be subtle and just to show off the elegance of the b/w photography, so it is the hair designs on the ladies and that mustache on star Dujardin that add to the believability of this period film

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 – this year’s sci-fi/fantasy entry that could very well work out. It opens with some magnificent goblin makeup on character actor Warwick Davis, highlights the eccentricity of Ralph Fiennes and Alan Rickman’s characters, and ends with a battlefield scene with bruises and wounds and a torn-off ear. It takes a while for the quality of the film’s makeup detail to really stand out. Ultimately, though, the film had no stakes and failed to really excite its crucial fan base. Yah, it was good…but even to those fans always expecting the unexpected, this film was entirely predictable. Question: Did the cinematic Voldemort ever pose a threat other than throwing up some tiny-bitty flames at a shield to no avail and looking as if he’s constipated? Boorring!

Anonymous – period work. Shakespeare. We have the great work done on Vanessa Redgrave to emphasize the introduction of an aged Queen Elizabeth. The men (notably Rhys Ifans, Edward Hogg, Jamie Campbell Bower and Rafe Spall) disappear under their elegant and theatrical hair, facial hair and sweaty man-chests. My vote goes here, with Harry Potter coming in at a close second.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 – It’s been nominated before. Nothing really new here in regards to Jack Sparrow’s look, but this one introduces two new major characters played by Penelope Cruz and Ian McShane. Also look for some great work done on Keith Richards in his cameo.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – some great character work on Lisabeth Salander. Other than that, not too sure on the makeup work for the film. There appears to be something done to Daniel Craig to emphasize the film’s cinematography, but not too sure.

What do you think is the most likely winner of Makeup at the 84th Annual Academy Awards?

Adam Waldowski
    Topics:

I’m saddened by some of the exclusions here. I’d like to see The Iron Lady, J. Edgar, The Skin I Live In, Insidious, Immortals, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on the longlist.

ReplyCopy URL
    awardskel
    Topics:

I have a feeling that My Week with Marilyn could steal that glitz/glammor spot in the makeup category away from The Artist. Look at the critics choice….where it not only did just that, but nabbed a costume nod opposite The Artist (and other films)..

ReplyCopy URL
    Carbon Based Lifeform
    Participant
    Topics:

Easily — The Iron Lady

ReplyCopy URL
    Junk
    Topics:

^Me too, The Iron Lady will win at least this category for sure.

But I wouldn’t mind a HP win here. Btw, we’re those goblins done by makeup?? Lol I thought they were digitally made, ala Andy Serkis in Apes… I know Voldemort’s nose was computerized.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.