Home Forums Movies Master and Commander (2003): Underrated Masterpiece

Master and Commander (2003): Underrated Masterpiece

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Vicki Leekx
Rachel615
BrazilianDude

• Emil Petrov
    Topics:

So, I watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World for the first time in like 10-12 years. What a film! The whole atmosphere is of it, the cinematography, the production design, sound, special effects…amazing.

As a cinematographer myself I look into this particular aspect of a film very deeply, and this movie is so beautifully shot.

Also the visual effects are stunning. So realistic! Look at this scene:

Hounting and beautfull action sequence.

I believe that if the film didn’t have the misfortune to be up agains The Return of the King, it would have won at least 3-4 more awards. Director was very likely, since it won at the Baftas, sound mixing, film editing and maybe production design. Visual effects was probably still loosing against the first Pirates film.

What do you think of this film? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Did it deserve the awards it won?

BrazilianDude
    Topics:

I love it. Specially since I am a fan of the Napoleonic age.

This film is so historically accurate. I love it.

ReplyCopy URL

Qoslca
    Topics:

Agreed. It’s an absolutely amazing film, and everything about it is nearly perfect. Plus, its attention to historical detail is impressive… In my opinion, it’s by far the best naval film ever made, and one of the best films of all time. Sadly, it fell prey to PotC and Return of the King and we may not see a sequel. There was a prequel in development a few years ago with Chris Hemsworth rumored to play a young Captain Aubrey, but I don’t think that went anywhere unfortunately…

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

ReplyCopy URL

Chitanda170
    Topics:

Amazing movie, Paul Bethany is amazing in this movie, I don’t know why many people think this movie is boring

ReplyCopy URL

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I was too young to appreciate it when I first saw it, but I agree, it’s a remarkable movie. I’m still hoping for a special edition release at some point. It might be my second favourite historical movie of the decade behind the director’s cut of Kingdom of Heaven 

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

ReplyCopy URL

Rachel615
    Topics:

I love this movie. (My neighbors have two black labrador retrievers from the same litter named Aubrey and Maturin and these might be my favorite names ever for a pair of dogs.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.