Home Forums Movies Mid90s (2018)

Mid90s (2018)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
dorseyhorsey
M: The Original
LaChienne
  • M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Jonah Hill’s directorial debut definitely looks like an artistic triumph. I have no confidence it’ll make a huge impact on award season since it deals with skateboarding teen boys. The cinematography is low contrast with the Academy ratio of 1.37:1. Shot in Super 16 mm. Trailer

LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure what my expectations for his debut were, but it looks great and I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully it lands in a theater within 80 miles of where I live.

Wouldn’t be a movie about skateboarding without that fisheye lens! :’)

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Early chatter makes me wonder does Hill have a shot at a directorial nod?

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Early chatter makes me wonder does Hill have a shot at a directorial nod?

He’ll probably get a DGA first time feature nom but that’s it

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I can fathom an Orginal Screenplay nomination if the field proves lackluster enough.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    dorseyhorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sold on this one. Teenage boys chilling except in 16mm this time. Looks like wank to be honest but I’d love to be wrong about that.

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

Trailer #2

ReplyCopy URL
    dorseyhorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like a disappointing season for A24 if this is really their main push. 78 RT/67 MC, violent sibling abuse and kids throwing slurs around doesn’t seem very Academy-friendly. I plan on hitting a matinee sometime this week just to see, but I’m even less convinced now that the general public has seen it.

Not too late to redirect that energy into Hereditary/Eighth Grade/First Reformed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Not too late to redirect that energy into Hereditary/Eighth Grade/First Reformed.

this!

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Looks like a disappointing season for A24 if this is really their main push. 78 RT/67 MC, violent sibling abuse and kids throwing slurs around doesn’t seem very Academy-friendly. I plan on hitting a matinee sometime this week just to see, but I’m even less convinced now that the general public has seen it.

First Reformed deserves that push significantly more in my opinion. Ethan Hawke was simply exceptional. Eighth Grade is infinitely more likely to be Oscar-nominated for Original Screenplay than Mid90s, another A24 film dealing with young people, and I would argue the Bo Burnham feature film directing debut is more deserving than the Jonah Hill directing debut as well. Hereditary I didn’t love or hate, it was really meh to me, but I’m obviously fine with other people liking it.

As for Mid90s, I found it less annoying than it likely would have been thanks to its short running time. I know I am probably the only person who is bothered by this, but I hated how the song “Kiss From a Rose” was used in the movie. It was like the music supervisor was thinking, “here’s a popular song from the mid 90s we can just throw in a scene for no other reason than the time period!” That song is so masterfully and exquisitely done that it is EARNED dammit, not just tossed in the soundtrack. The acting of the kids were all decent, nobody really stood out to me. At first, I thought the main kid was just dumb and bland, but as the film wore on I saw his nuanced emotional scars he kept hidden. I honestly think that main kid might have had Asperger’s Syndrome, but even though I have Asperger’s I don’t know for sure if he had it or not. The only part of the film I found Oscar-worthy in the slightest was the Music Score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, but even then I’m sure there will be superior works for the Music branch of the Academy to nominate. Oh, and Katherine Waterston was excellent with the bits and pieces she was given to work with.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Diet Teridax.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Diet Teridax.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw this a while back, and there were some parts that I really loved, but overall, the tone was wildly all over the place and the screenplay was kinda rough. Hill did a great job of directing the film, but the plot zoomed around from genre to genre and it really threw the film off track. Lucas Hedges was wasted here, but his performance in a small role was very good. Same for Katherine Waterston, though she at least has more to do. The main kids were fantastic, though, especially Na-kel Smith and Olan Prenatt. But overall, this movie was too all over the place to fully get me on board.

If we’re discussing A24’s awards priorities this year, it has to be Eighth Grade, then Hereditary and First Reformed, then this.

ReplyCopy URL
    dorseyhorsey
    Participant
    Topics:

Sadly I haven’t seen First Reformed yet, it didn’t play near me like most of the mid-release A24 stuff does. But Hawke at least is getting amazing reviews for it, if they can make Willem Dafoe happen with such a small movie, they can get him in it they try.

Agreed that top priority should be Eighth Grade. Original Screenplay and Supporting Actor are wide open, Actress not so much but they can get her in at the Globes at least.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw it today and enjoyed it immensely.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw this last night. A good directorial debut effort from Jonah Hill, but it could have been better. Sunny Suljic was downright fantastic as Stevie, and definitely has a bright future ahead of him. Lucas Hedges and Katherine Waterston were fine, but they were woefully underused and should have been developed more as characters. As for the skate kids, oh boy, the vast majority of them were annoying, unlikable and mean-spirited, especially the kid known as F***s***. Only Na-kel Smith as Ray gave a good performance in that group, because Ray was the only character who actually treated Stevie as a human being. Plus, these characters do some horrific things and experience no consequences whatsoever. At times, there was just a lot of skating and partying, skating and partying, lather, rinse, repeat. I was basically thinking at this point, “All right, Jonah Hill, we get it! They skate and party 24/7, we get it!”

As for other positives, the soundtrack was fantastic. The 90s kid in me was quite glad to hear Seal’s “Kiss From A Rose” playing in the background in the beginning of the movie. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’s score was also quite good, with their trademark haunting piano sending shivers down my spine. Overall though, I’d give this a 7 out of 10. It’s not the worst directorial debut by any stretch, but overall it feels more like a promising rough draft than an excellent final product.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.