Home Forums Movies Midsommar (2019) Ari Aster

Midsommar (2019) Ari Aster

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kellis
M: The Original
Tyler
  • Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Minor spoilers

Intriguing experience that gets under your skin. I was surprised how apathetic those characters were – after first shocking event they should try to get the hell out of there, team up with Simon & Connie but no, they were all “That was some strong sh*t, right?” and trusted Pelle no matter what. No “Dude, WTF is going on here?” either for some reason, only more apathy, stupidly drinking and eating whatever those people were giving them.

Perhaps that was the point. Even together all of those characters were separated – Josh (seemingly ageless William Jackson Harper, the only actor from the cast I knew, once again playing the smart one like he does on “The Good Place”) was the only one trying to actually use the experience to write his PhD, Mark was Stifler of this group and comic relief (his sociopathic “Why didn’t you take me?” after the first traumatic event was perhaps the funniest moment) and Christian not really strong enough to achieve success in either his relationship, his studies or standing for himself against other people. His sex scene was the weirdest I have ever seen in cinema (and funny too). Dani’s trauma was the reason why she went in the first place. “Did he ever feel like home to you?” – Pelle asks her about Christian. The answer is obvious and from that moment on you know what the end game’s gonna be for her.

The film was surprisingly funny as hell, yet the sense of dread and inevitable bad endings from those characters is chilling, like a car crash you see happening in front of your eyes. That’s more my kind of horror than “Us” was – sometimes less is more.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, this was… weird. Better than Hystereditary? For sure. Flowerence Pugh easily outacted Hysterical Collette and really delivered. I wouldn’t be mad if she gets a nod. It was visually great, unlike Hystereditary. But at the end it still felt too violent and weird for my taste. It lacked some class. And it clearly has some disgusting and offensive moments. Thatcher was horrified.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.