Home Forums Movies Most Overrated Performances of 2017

Most Overrated Performances of 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Philip
manalemel
Thatcher
  • AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Armie Hammer displays the acting prowess of a block of wood in Call Me by Your Name.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Armie Hammer displays the acting prowess of a block of wood in Call Me by Your Name.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis, please visit me at The Awards Connection!

And in ever other movie he’s ever been in? (Haven’t seen CMBYN yet)

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

And in ever other movie he’s ever been in? (Haven’t seen CMBYN yet)

His performance requires you to be invested in his looks for it to be affective.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

Gary Oldman will be winning a lifetime achievement award cause The Darkest Hour was horrible. Bored outta my mind.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Gotta be Willem Dafoe for me. Really critics? This is the only supporting male performance worthy of winning?

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Noah Arlington
    Participant
    Topics:

Gary Oldman

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

Gotta be Willem Dafoe for me. Really critics? This is the only supporting male performance worthy of winning?

I’m watching this before the Globes tonight, hopefully I won’t be as disappointed as I was with The Darkest Hour.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jefty2000
    Participant
    Topics:

Mary J Blige (of everyone in Mudbound, why is she being singled out?!)
    Laurie Metcalf (even though I love her, doesn’t feel like a frontrunner performance)

ReplyCopy URL
    k
    Participant
    Topics:

booo! Dafoe was great and Hammer was very good, though I want Stuhlbarg to happen over him.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

I found Dafoe and Rockwell to be decent in their roles, with Rockwell edging out Dafoe a bit.

I haven’t seen The Shape of Water or Call Me By Your Name yet, but I have a feeling that I’ll prefer Stuhlbarg and Jenkins over our two frontrunners.

Stuhlbarg and Jenkins are more deserving of “career wins” over Dafoe and Rockwell, anyways.

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

I found Dafoe and Rockwell to be decent in their roles, with Rockwell edging out Dafoe a bit.

I haven’t seen The Shape of Water or Call Me By Your Name yet, but I have a feeling that I’ll prefer Stuhlbarg and Jenkins over our two frontrunners.

Stuhlbarg and Jenkins are more deserving of “career wins” over Dafoe and Rockwell, anyways.

Umm Stuhlbarg hasn’t really done a ton of memorable film work to be considered for a career win lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    WaltEagle
    Participant
    Topics:

Stephen Merchant, Logan (TERRIBLE)
    Boyd Holbrook, Logan
    Michael Shannon, The Shape of Water
    Joel Edgerton, Bright
    Jason Momoa, The Bad Batch
    Ewan McGregor, T2: Trainspotting
    Jennifer Lawrence, mother!
    Carey Mulligan, Mudbound

ReplyCopy URL
    Malcolm Dunbar
    Participant
    Topics:

I found Dafoe and Rockwell to be decent in their roles, with Rockwell edging out Dafoe a bit. I haven’t seen The Shape of Water or Call Me By Your Name yet, but I have a feeling that I’ll prefer Stuhlbarg and Jenkins over our two frontrunners. Stuhlbarg and Jenkins are more deserving of “career wins” over Dafoe and Rockwell, anyways.

Umm Stuhlbarg hasn’t really done a ton of memorable film work to be considered for a career win lol.

This.

Stuhlbarg was passable in Call Me By Your Name, forgettable in Shape Of Water, and worth an unlisted cameo at best in The Post – but everyone will likely name check him just because he was cast in three big academy films this year, regardless of what he actually committed to film.

For all the flack Hammer gets about being pretty I found him to more or less encapsulate and expand on Aciman’s book version of Oliver who is a sketch lined character at best. Oliver is supposed to be mysterious and a masculine steel trap you can’t get anything from. Hammer managed to turn that narrative ploy into a flesh and blood human being even if at a glance, and committed to quite choices that symbolized vulnerability, longing and regret (or at least tried to). He fulfilled what the narrative gave him and then some.

Sthulburg has one speech that everyone on the queer spectrum longs to hear, but no one ever said to them and everyone in the critics circle loses their minds and pushes him to the front and center. It’s almost meme-able. But what does one expect from the Golden Veteran Watch Actor category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

booo! Dafoe was great and Hammer was very good, though I want Stuhlbarg to happen over him.

Dafoe did absolutely nothing awards worthy. He was just there. He’s got no arch, nothing.

ReplyCopy URL
    willadurian
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you for articulating so succinctly my absolute abhorrence of Three Billboards.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.