Home Forums Movies Most Overrated Performances of 2017

Most Overrated Performances of 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
Philip
manalemel
Thatcher
  • Saif Umair
    Participant
    Topics:

James Franco in The Disaster Artist. He did look exactly like Tommy Wiseau, but in some scenes, his expressions were just pale as compared to Wiseau in The Room.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Saif Umair.
    ReplyCopy URL
    ProfessorChaos
    Participant
    Topics:

James Franco in The Disaster Artist. He did look exactly like Tommy Wiseau, but in some scenes, his expression were just pale as compared to Wiseau in The Room.

I saw a test screening cut of Disaster Artist (one where Dave Franco was more of the lead) and there were a few flat moments from James. I’m pretty happy with the final cut though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

People who say “Gary Oldman’s work is overrated” is only because they want Chalamerde to fuck them.

Overrated performances:

Sally Hawkins (TSOW) – unconvincing and disgusting

Frances McDormand (3BOEM) – offensive and nasty

Sam Rockwell (3BOEM) – bad as hell

Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out) – he was just okay in an ATROCIOUS movie

Laurie Metcalf  (Lady Bird) – good acting, not Oscar-worthy at all. Thank God Janney is winning.

Robert Pattinson (Good Time) – he does nothing impressive, just okay

Timothée Chalamerde (CMBYN) – correct performance, far from the things gays have been saying about him.

Armie Hammer (CMBYN) – he did nothing but being beautiful.

Adam Sandler (The Meyerowitz Stories) – he was just okay and few scenes seemed too forced.

Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick) – he played himself

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Spark87
    Participant
    Topics:

My two cents: Steve Carell for “Battle of the Sexes” & Octavia Spencer for “The Shape of Water”.

They are not bad, but definitely not in my top 5 of the year AT ALL. They have done way better in the past… basically in almost any other film from them.

Oh, and this:

Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird) – good acting, not Oscar-worthy at all. Thank God Janney is winning.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Spark87.
    ReplyCopy URL
    JJ
    Participant
    Topics:

TOTALLY AGREE!!  CMBYN IS SO OVERRATED – WILL NEVER GET OVER THE PRAISE AND ACCOLADES.  AND 100% YOU ARE RIGHT WITH HARRIS DICKINSON IN BEACH RATS – ONE OF THE BEST OF THE LAST 5 YRS AND BLOWS AWAY TIMOTHEE IN CMBYN.  I WISH HE GOT THE PRAISE HE REALLY DESERVED!

ReplyCopy URL
    Aameson
    Participant
    Topics:

Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell in the atrocious Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri, and Daniel Kaluuya in the atrocious Get Out.

Disagree on Rockwell. He’s clearly in a whole different stratosphere from everyone else in the cast of Three Billboards. McDormand gives the kind of charismatic performance the Academy has always had a strong liking for. I agree that Three Billboards as a whole is not as strong however.

ReplyCopy URL
    Armandorcls612
    Participant
    Topics:

-Mary J. Blige in Mudbound: I don’t think she deserved any nomination for this OK performance in a better than average film (the true standout Garrett Hedlund should have received the buzz).

-Armie Hammer in Call Me By Your Name: he’s the weak link in the film.

-Frances McDormand in Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri: The film is a masterpiece and she’s great, but I don’t think she should be the frontrunner, I don’t consider her performance groundbreaking or anything, just great.

-Allison Janney in I, Tonya: she gives a very good performance but her character is incredibly one-dimensional so her work is very one-note and there’s no depth to it, I don’t think she should be the frontrunner.

-Kristen Stewart in Personal Shopper (I don’t know if this is considered 2016 or 2017): I really try to see why she’s now being considered a good actress, but I fail to see what she brings to this performance and her other recent performances that isn’t the same emotionless, awkward performance she’s always given.

-Brooklyn Prince in The Florida Project: This is the same as Quvenzhané Wallis in 2012, a girl playing herself, simply being a child and acting like a child, sure it’s effective, it’s great, the film is great, but I wouldn’t call it a “performance”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I already mentioned Robert Pattinson in Good Time awhile back, but I also gotta add in Lesley Manville in Phantom Thread. She was fine, but what on Earth was Oscar worthy about her performance?!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.