Home Forums Movies Movies Released in 2019 that Surprise You?

Movies Released in 2019 that Surprise You?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
cinetastic
wattsgold
Palmboom
  • Profile picture
    BigFish
    Topics:

Discuss 2019 movies that surprises you..either in a good way or bad way. I’ve made this topic also to know more movies that I overlooked the past year and maybe finally make time to watch it.

Movies that surprises me in a good way would be The Two Popes and The Last Black Man in San Francisco. I watch the Two Popes thinking that it would be a bit boring because to be real, it’s only two old men talking for 2 straight hours.  It surprises me how it moved me and I actually cry in some moments when Pryce’s characters talked about his regrets in life and thinking that no matter how holy/important his character is, he’s just a human who made mistakes. I really enjoy the banter between him and Hopkin’s character where Pope Benedict may undermined him first because Pope Francis criticized him in the past, but eventually gained trust as he unfolds his life, his weakness, and able to see through his strengths of why Pope Francis is more beloved than him.

I’ve seen good reviews about The Last Black Man in Francisco, but man I don’t know that it’s just a beautiful movie too. The opening scene stuck with me for a long time and I watched the movie on a 25 hours flight back to LA. The whole movie is gorgeous and pretty much accurate depicting how SF changed a lot since the tech boom and made the old residents moved out as it unable to afford rising rent and living costs there. Available on Amazon Prime fyi.

Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

The Two Popes, Ford v Ferrari & Hustlers surprised me in a good way. I didn’t think I’d like them this much.

On the other hand, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman & Little Women surprised me in a bad way. Those could have lived up to their hypes better.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Parasite. I knew it was loved (this has never been a good sign for me, TBH) but had not idea I would laugh, feel so much tension, stay on the edge of my seat, reflect upon it and ultimately put it in the list of my all time favorites.

The artistry in every scene and a poignant commentary in today’s society (we have such contrasts in every corner of the world) was the best surprise of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Palmboom
    Topics:

Two movies pop out for me. Firstly Parasite, which although I heard was getting a lot of praise, absolutely blew me away. What a rollercoaster.

Secondly, a fantastic French movie in an extremely good year for French cinema. I’m talking about The Wolf’s Call. Interesting subject, entrancing and perfectly executed. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

1917!

I had no idea what to expect when I first put it so glad it ended up in my top 3 of the year.

Agree with Last Black Man. That was a knockout.

Surprised me in a bad way was Detective Pikachu. That was awful. Endgame surprised me in a bad way since it was just fan service. Also Far from Home surprised me in a good way since I was expecting more routine storytelling and they took some risks.

Cold Case Hammarskjold surprised in because it went to a place where i had no idea where it was going.

To the Stars was really sweet.

I liked Leto too.

Wild Rose was awesome.

I saw For Sama after it did well at BAFTA and was blown away by it.

Booksmart was a nice surprise too.

I’m sure there were others but thats all I can think of for now.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.