Home Forums Movies MTV Movie & TV Awards 2019 Thread

MTV Movie & TV Awards 2019 Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Brayden Fitzs..
JGibson
  • Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Brie Larson getting put in the “Breakthrough” category is so funny.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Just like Tiffany Haddish who hosted and won Comedic Performance last year. That’s probably in case none of the nominees show up and they to give a good will award to the host

Could they not have let Awkafina host this year then

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Brie Larson getting put in the “Breakthrough” category is so funny.

Maybe because nobody outside of the arthouse circuit saw Room. I mean, $14.7m domestic…

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

And awards shows should never be held in airport hangars, like the Critics Choice and this will be.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe because nobody outside of the arthouse circuit saw Room. I mean, $14.7m domestic…

$14.7 million domestic is more than most indie films’ total gross. And then its total was almost 3 times that. So, plenty of people saw it outside of the “arthouse circuit.” They also nominated Chalamet for a film that only had $4 million more domestic and overall. The movie got her an Oscar and no doubt helped her in the long-run to net Captain Marvel. So, CM being listed as her breakthrough role still doesn’t make any sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Room:

Domestic: $14,677,654
    Foreign: $20,724,104
    Worldwide: $35,401,758

And my disdain for indie films is because the Oscars have settled into a pattern of honoring just indies (or doing their best to mimic the Indie Spirits) when you have mainstream intelligent blockbusters that appeal to critics and fans alike. And they get barred from the Oscar derby except in the ghetto of art direction, VFX and sound).

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Room:
    Domestic: $14,677,654
    Foreign: $20,724,104
    Worldwide: $35,401,758
    And my disdain for indie films is because the Oscars have settled into a pattern of honoring just indies (or doing their best to mimic the Indie Spirits) when you have mainstream intelligent blockbusters that appeal to critics and fans alike. And they get barred from the Oscar derby except in the ghetto of art direction, VFX and sound).

Smh, just by putting $14.7 million up there, again, you’re helping my point. Once again, that’s way more than most indies and (if you do the math) several million people watched it. So, once again it shows the sales were mostly from people outside of the indie fare. Also, you hating an entire area of films just because a small group of people choose to give awards to only a few of them is ridiculous (so is your need to downplay their success).

Overall, it still doesn’t make sense as to why CM was listed as her breakthrough (as does your unneeded condescendation towards Heptapod), and I can’t believe I actually got into this with you over the MTV Awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Okwo
    Participant
    Topics:

So the people who voted or will vote for this award saw Blackkknsman, The Chi and RGB? Sure, sure. And Spiderverse, amazing as it is, wasn’t that big of a hit, so who can believe it’s a best film nominee? A Star is Born, Aquaman or Bohemian Rhapsody would’ve been more believable. Also, in an extremely logical way, the Emmys don’t qualify for the Emmys…so what the hell is The Challenge doing here? And those Nick Cannon double nods? One of which is for an MTV show? Okay. Nobody remembers Venom, even if it had that kiss with girl Venom. Anything from any of those Netflix teen films would’ve made much more sense. Also, Gayle King? Because of the R.Kelly thing? Please. No kid who votes for this saw that.

MENACE II SOCIETY won Best Movie at the 1994 edition of the show in a field that included JURASSIC PARK and it’s box office, domestic, was $27.9 million.  I wouldn’t automatically assume what the young demographic, at any year or at any time, has watched or likes watching

It wouldn’t surprise me if MTV have taken the Bryan Singer controversy/allegations far more seriously than Oscar or Golden Globe voters which would explain why BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY isn’t there. A STAR IS BORN seems to have ‘suffered’ the similar backlash that befell LA LA LAND (which was also not nominated in the Best Movie category 2 years ago despite sharing being a hit, music oriented and 2 MTV demo friendly leads) whilst AQUAMAN….as huge as it was outside of young kids, DCEU fanboys and Momoa fangirls It’s not really a movie anyone else talks about unlike the more acclaimed Spider Verse.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Chris Okwo.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Chris Okwo.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Okwo
    Participant
    Topics:

Smh, just by putting $14.7 million up there, again, you’re helping my point. Once again, that’s way more than most indies and (if you do the math) several million people watched it. So, once again it shows the sales were mostly from people outside of the indie fare. Also, you hating an entire area of films just because a small group of people choose to give awards to only a few of them is ridiculous (so is your need to downplay their success). Overall, it still doesn’t make sense as to why CM was listed as her breakthrough (as does your unneeded condescendation towards Heptapod), and I can’t believe I actually got into this with you over the MTV Awards.

I know a fair number of people, casual cinemagoers, who whilst their aware of Larson due to her Oscar win CM is pretty much the first movie they’ve seen her in and quite frankly on a worldwide basis it wouldn’t surprise me if that is the case.

In a sense it is a commercial breakthrough for her.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Being the host and being nominated and winning is not a terrible thing. It happens all the time at the Emmys, and has happened at the Tonys (Hugh Jackman) and Oscars (Niven won, Caine, Matthau, Hogan were nominated). The problem is when the network who created and controls the awards also gets nominations. Specially for things as random as Nick Cannon or The Challenge.

Just like when people thought it was weird that a show known just for Kyra Sedgewick, got 4 ensemble nods at SAG, which aired on the same network, TNT, even though nobody ever cared about the cast and there were much more worthy and popular casts out there.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.