Home Forums Movies My Official 2017 Independent Spirits Awards Ballot (What I voted for!)

My Official 2017 Independent Spirits Awards Ballot (What I voted for!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Teridax
kbfr12
RobertPius
  • Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though voting for the Spirits is a plurality system, where you just pick one, I thought it would be fun to rank the other nominees favorite to least favorite for everyone on Goldderby to see. The nominee that I voted for is in BOLD:

Best Feature

1. Get Out

2. Lady Bird

3. Call Me By Your Name

4. The Florida Project

5. The Rider

Best Director

1. Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie “Good Time”

2. Jordan Peele “Get Out”

3. Luca Guadagnino “Call Me By Your Name”

4. Sean Baker “The Florida Project”

5. Chloe Zhao “The Rider”

6. Jonas Carpignano “A Cambria”

Best Screenplay

1. Martin McDonagh “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

2. Jordan Peele “Get Out”

3. Greta Gerwig “Lady Bird”

4. Mike White “Beatriz at Dinner”

5. Azazel Jacobs “The Lovers”

Best First Feature

1. Ingrid Goes West

2. Patti Cake$

3. Menashe

4. Oh Lucy!

5. Columbus

Best First Screenplay

1. Emily V. Gordon, Kumail Nanjiani “The Big Sick”

2. David Branson Smith, Matt Spicer “Ingrid Goes West”

3. Ingrid Jungermann “Women Who Kill”

4. Kogonada “Columbus”

5. Kris Avedisian, Kyle Espeleta, and Jesse Wakeman “Donald Cried”

Best Female Lead

1. Frances McDormand “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

2. Margot Robbie “I, Tonya”

3. Saoirse Ronan “Lady Bird”

4. Shinobu Terajima “Oh Lucy!”

5. Salma Hayek “Beatriz at Dinner”

6. Regina Williams “Life and Nothing More”

Best Male Lead

1. Robert Pattinson “Good Time”

2. Daniel Kaluuya “Get Out”

3. Timothee Chalamet “Call Me By Your Name”

4. James Franco “The Disaster Artist”

5. Harris Dickinson “Beach Rats”

Best Supporting Female

1. Allison Janney “I, Tonya”

2. Taliah Lennice Webster “Good Time”

3. Lois Smith “Marjorie Prime”

4. Laurie Metcalf “Lady Bird”

5. Holly Hunter “The Big Sick”

Best Supporting Male

1. Sam Rockwell “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

2. Benny Safdie “Good Time”

3. Barry Keoghan “The Killing of a Sacred Deer”

4. Armie Hammer “Call Me By Your Name”

5. Nnamdi Asomugha “Crown Heights”

Best Cinematography

1. Joshua James Richards “The Rider”

2. Sayombhu Mukdeeprom “Call Me By Your Name”

3. Thimios Bakatakis “The Killing of a Sacred Deer”

4. Elisha Christian “Columbus”

5. Hélène Louvart “Beach Rats”

Best Editing

1. Tatiana S. Riegel “I, Tonya”

2. Ronald Bronstein, Benny Safdie “Good Time”

3. Gregory Plotkin “Get Out”

4. Walter Fasano “Call Me By Your Name”

5. Alex O’Flinn “The Rider”

Best Documentary

I did not vote for this category since I did not see ANY of the nominees.

Best International Film

1. A Fantastic Woman

2. BPM (Beats per Minute)

3. I Am Not a Witch

4. Loveless

5. Lady Macbeth

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Feel free to give your feedback on my ballot, everyone. Please be nice and remember that we can all have our own opinions! 🙂

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

Anonymous
    Topics:

Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell? Who are you and what did you do with Teridax?

kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

I just cast my ballot about 30 seconds ago. Can I share in this thread or should I start my own?

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I just cast my ballot about 30 seconds ago. Can I share in this thread or should I start my own?

You can do either! I would love to see what your choices were so that I can compare them to mine! I’m assuming our picks were almost entirely different, but I still really hope that you voted for A Fantastic Woman in International Film. It was truly fantastic.

kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

You can do either! I would love to see what your choices were so that I can compare them to mine! I’m assuming our picks were almost entirely different, but I still really hope that you voted for A Fantastic Woman in International Film. It was truly fantastic.

I didn’t love A Fantastic Woman, but I agree with everyone that Daniela Vega is a star.

Here’s my ballot:
    FEATURE: Call Me by Your Name

DIRECTOR: Luca Guadagnino (when I vote for awards, I never separate Picture and Director)

ACTOR:
    Timothée Chalamet — Call Me by Your Name

ACTRESS: Regina Williams – Life and Nothing More

SUPP. ACTOR: Barry Keoghan — The Killing of a Sacred Deer

SUPP. ACTRESS: Laurie Metcalf — Lady Bird

SCREENPLAY: Get Out

FIRST SCREENPLAY: Women Who Kill

FIRST FEATURE: Columbus

DOCUMENTARY: I also skipped this.

EDITING: Call Me by Your Name

CINEMATOGRAPHY: The Rider

INTERNATIONAL FILM: Beats Per Minute (I watched this tonight, and it really moved me, but maybe it was partially because of where we are right now. After the umpteenth mass shooting of the year, with more empty “thoughts and prayers” from politicians, the idea that “Silence = Death” (ACT UP’s motto) felt particularly resonant and extremely timeless.)

RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

No disrespect to any voters on this thread BUT I lost a little respect for the ISP awards when I found out the qualification to vote is just paying the membership fee.

kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

No disrespect to any voters on this thread BUT I lost a little respect for the ISP awards when I found out the qualification to vote is just paying the membership fee.

I was pretty surprised when I learned that too. And then I bought a year’s membership 🙂

Honestly though, if you know what Film Independent is, and are willing to shell out the cash, then I have marginal faith that you care enough about movies to at least try and take it seriously.

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@sunshineisles2 I love how we both voted for The Rider in Cinematography! Maybe that can pull off an unlikely upset over CMBYN for that category.

Women Who Kill also really surprised me. I might even have voted for it had it stuck the landing. I was let down by how it all wrapped up though. You can ask me about it in a private note if you want, since I don’t want to spoil the ending to the film for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet. I am looking forward to Ingrid Jungermann’s next film.

No harsh judgements here, we can all have our own opinions, but what was so special about Regina Williams? I felt like any other actress could have played her role. She gave nothing special or unique to her character as far as I could tell.

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I was pretty surprised when I learned that too. And then I bought a year’s membership ????

Honestly though, if you know what Film Independent is, and are willing to shell out the cash, then I have marginal faith that you care enough about movies to at least try and take it seriously.

I have been driving myself crazy the past year watching and even going out of my way to re-watch as many movies as possible. I hope I have earned your faith, as someone who cares deeply about cinema and quality filmmaking on every level.

kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

@sunshineisles2 I love how we both voted for The Rider in Cinematography! Maybe that can pull off an unlikely upset over CMBYN for that category.

Women Who Kill also really surprised me. I might even have voted for it had it stuck the landing. I was let down by how it all wrapped up though. You can ask me about it in a private note if you want, since I don’t want to spoil the ending to the film for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet. I am looking forward to Ingrid Jungermann’s next film.

No harsh judgements here, we can all have our own opinions, but what was so special about Regina Williams? I felt like any other actress could have played her role. She gave nothing special or unique to her character as far as I could tell.

The Rider is such a gorgeous and thoughtful movie. I really hope it finds an audience when it gets released.

My votes for Women Who Kill and Williams are somewhat related. I figured there are runaway victors in both those categories, so I felt compelled to be “creative” and vote for someone else besides the frontrunner. And I think Williams’s performance is almost deceptively plain: she’s so in tune with the film’s documentary-style naturalism that it almost doesn’t feel like acting at all. But there are a few scenes here and there that really stand out and contextualize her character, and convinced me that she was turning in a superbly thought-out interpretation.

RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I have no doubt about people posting on Gold Derby forums caring about film and you all do have my respect.

It still is a little surprising though that anybody can join. I mean people must have every cousin and distant relative they can find join up if they have an Indie coming out. I mean some of those nominees just really come out of left field. But it is one of the better award shows. (and I’d still love to see Ally Sheedy’s infamous never ending speech from 1999.)

kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean people must have every cousin and distant relative they can find join up if they have an Indie coming out. I mean some of those nominees just really come out of left field.

The nominees are chosen by a committee of critics and festival programmers. Only the winners are selected by the group at large.

Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

The Rider is such a gorgeous and thoughtful movie. I really hope it finds an audience when it gets released.

My votes for Women Who Kill and Williams are somewhat related. I figured there are runaway victors in both those categories, so I felt compelled to be “creative” and vote for someone else besides the frontrunner. And I think Williams’s performance is almost deceptively plain: she’s so in tune with the film’s documentary-style naturalism that it almost doesn’t feel like acting at all. But there are a few scenes here and there that really stand out and contextualize her character, and convinced me that she was turning in a superbly thought-out interpretation.

That is the reason I felt comfortable voting for Good Time in Male Lead and Director. Chalamet and Guadagnino or maybe Peele are runaway frontrunners, even though they are not my personal faves. Why not spread the wealth to deserving underappreciated contenders instead of just being a sheep everywhere? Every vote ultimately matters, even if you know the nominee you are voting for has no realistic chance of winning, because it reflects you and your personal standards regarding integrity of filmmaking.

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Teridax, I’m so confused here. I thought “Lady Bird” was your favorite film of the year and that you hated everything about “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.” Didn’t you vote to nominate it for razzies?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My Official 2017 Independent Spirits Awards Ballot (What I voted for!)’ is closed to new replies.