Home Forums Movies My Official 2017 Independent Spirits Awards Ballot (What I voted for!)

My Official 2017 Independent Spirits Awards Ballot (What I voted for!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Makuta Teridax
kbfr12
RobertPius
  • Makuta Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Teridax, I’m so confused here. I thought “Lady Bird” was your favorite film of the year and that you hated everything about “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.” Didn’t you vote to nominate it for razzies?

Lady Bird was my favorite until I re-watched it. I still like the film, but some lines I laughed at the first time viewing it didn’t hit home the way they did the first, and some lines that I missed turned me off. Also, I still think Lady Bird is a really well done coming-of-age story, but I can’t help but admit that as polished as it was, it did seem like it was lacking for some kind of raw substance, something to make a genuine masterpiece or even something to help it stand out from the pack. Was it even better than Heathers or Mean Girls? Those movies all got shut out at the Oscars while Lady Bird got 5 nominations! I would be lying if I said that upon revisiting both LB and I, Tonya, that Craig Gillespie wouldn’t be a more deserving Director nominee than Gerwig, because he plainly and obviously would have been. Sometimes, after revisiting a film for the 2nd time, my opinion of the film in general ends up being revised. Speaking of which…

YES, I voted for Three Billboards after watching the first time at the Razzies as write-ins for Worst Picture, Worst Actress for McDormand, and Worst Supporitng Actor for Rockwell. I regret that more than any stupid decision I have ever made with any awards ever, since I saw the film a 2nd time and now finally understand exactly the kind of ambiguity that Martin McDonagh was going for. To be fair, McDormand and to a lesser extent Rockwell were in pretty weak Razzie categories, to the point that Rockwell wound up being one of 3 write-ins! Worst Picture is inexcusable though, in hindsight it would have been a lot wiser for me to vote for The Snowman as a write-in for Worst Picture. I just let the contrarian side of my brain win out when it truly didn’t deserve to.

Just thought I’d clarify. I’m also voting for Three Billboards for Best Picture at the Goldderby Film Awards… I love it now, I confess, and I do believe it will go down as a classic, if a very divisive one at that.

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

Paul Rankin
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s what I voted for:

Best Picture: Get Out
    Best Director: Jordan Peele- Get Out
    Best Screenplay: Get Out
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet – Call Me By Your Name
    Best Actress: Margot Robbie- I,Tonya
    Best Supporting Actor: Barry Keoghan- The Killing of A Sacred Deer
    Best Supporting Actress: Lois Smith- Marjorie Prime
    Best First Feature: Patti Cake$
    Best First Screenplay: Ingrid Goes West
    Best Foreign Film: BPM- Beats Per Minute
    Best Documentary: Last Men In Aleppo
    Best Cinematography: The Rider
    Best Editing: I,Tonya

The toughest category for me to vote in was First Feature as I loved both “Patti Cake$” and “Menashe.” I really wished each film had nominations in other categories so I could have given support to both films.

Best Picture was tough for me as well as none of the films truly “wowed” me. “The Florida Project” was lacking any substance and in my opinion was one of the worst films of the year. “Call Me By Your Name” took FOREVER to get going; too many pointless scenes of characters reading from books, swimming and bike riding none of which I felt fleshed out the characters or built the relationship between Elio and Oliver. By the time it got to building their relationship I felt it was too late and I was no longer emotionally invested in the film. Therefore when they sleep together I felt it was more lust then love: Elio was giving into his raging teenage hormones and Oliver was giving in to his possible pedophilic urges; Who’s to say he wouldn’t have slept with a 14 year old Elio as well. Chalamet was great in the film though and got my Best Actor vote.

In the end it came down to “Get Out” or “The Rider” for Best Picture; Two films I liked but didn’t love. With “The Rider” I was left wanting more with the ending while I felt “Get Out” wrapped things up a bit better. However, it was a close call. I chose “The Rider” for Cinematography though as it was a beautifully shot film.

I fully expect to feel the wrath of many people here for my views on The Florida Project and Call Me By Your Name so have at it. LOL!

I hope everyone is doing well.

First Place- 2018 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

Teridax, I’m so confused here. I thought “Lady Bird” was your favorite film of the year and that you hated everything about “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.” Didn’t you vote to nominate it for razzies?

Lady Bird was my favorite until I re-watched it. I still like the film, but some lines I laughed at the first time viewing it didn’t hit home the way they did the first, and some lines that I missed turned me off. Also, I still think Lady Bird is a really well done coming-of-age story, but I can’t help but admit that as polished as it was, it did seem like it was lacking for some kind of substance, something to make a genuine masterpiece or even something to help it stand out from the pack. Was it even better than Heathers or Mean Girls? Those movies all got shut out at the Oscars while Lady Bird got 5 nominations! I would be lying if I said that upon revisiting both LB and I, Tonya, that Craig Gillespie wouldn’t be a more deserving Director nominee than Gerwig, because he plainly and obviously would have been. Sometimes, after revisiting a film for the 2nd time, my opinion of the film in general ends up being revised. Speaking of which…

YES, I voted for Three Billboards after watching the first time at the Razzies as write-ins for Worst Picture, Worst Actress for McDormand, and Worst Supporitng Actor for Rockwell. I regret that more than any stupid decision I have ever made with any awards ever, since I saw the film a 2nd time and now understand exactly the kind of ambiguity that Martin McDonagh was going for. To be fair, McDormand and to a lesser extent Rockwell were in pretty weak Razzie categories, to the point that Rockwell wound up being one of 3 write-ins! Worst Picture is inexcusable though, in hindsight it would have been a lot wiser for me to vote for The Snowman as a write-in for Worst Picture. I just let the contrarian side of my brain win out when it truly didn’t deserve to.

Just thought I’d clarify. I’m also voting for Three Billboards for Best Picture at the Goldderby Film Awards… I love it now, I confess, and I do believe it will go down as a classic, if a very divisive one at that.

Just out of curiosity then, how would you rank the 9 BP nominees at the Oscars in order of preference?

Makuta Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@tvfan365 Currently, as of today, this is how I would rank the Oscar nominees for Best Picture, having re-watched some of the biggest nominees:

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

2. Phantom Thread

3. Get Out

4. Lady Bird

5. The Shape of Water

6. Darkest Hour

7. The Post

8. Call Me By Your Name

9. Dunkirk

For your Goldderby Film Awards consideration: Isle of Dogs for every category, especially Music Score for Alexandre Desplat!

Makuta Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s what I voted for:

Best Picture: Get Out
    Best Director: Jordan Peele- Get Out
    Best Screenplay: Get Out
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet – Call Me By Your Name
    Best Actress: Margot Robbie- I,Tonya
    Best Supporting Actor: Barry Keoghan- The Killing of A Sacred Deer
    Best Supporting Actress: Lois Smith- Marjorie Prime
    Best First Feature: Patti Cake$
    Best First Screenplay: Ingrid Goes West
    Best Foreign Film: BPM- Beats Per Minute
    Best Documentary: Last Men In Aleppo
    Best Cinematography: The Rider
    Best Editing: I,Tonya

The toughest category for me to vote in was First Feature as I loved both “Patti Cake$” and “Menashe.” I really wished each film had nominations in other categories so I could have given support to both films.

Best Picture was tough for me as well as none of the films truly “wowed” me. “The Florida Project” was lacking any substance and in my opinion was one of the worst films of the year. “Call Me By Your Name” took FOREVER to get going; too many pointless scenes of characters reading from books, swimming and bike riding none of which I felt fleshed out the characters or built the relationship between Elio and Oliver. By the time it got to building their relationship I felt it was too late and I was no longer emotionally invested in the film. Therefore when they sleep together I felt it was more lust then love: Elio was giving into his raging teenage hormones and Oliver was giving in to his possible pedophilic urges; Who’s to say he wouldn’t have slept with a 14 year old Elio as well. Chalamet was great in the film though and got my Best Actor vote.

In the end it came down to “Get Out” or “The Rider” for Best Picture; Two films I liked but didn’t love. With “The Rider” I was left wanting more with the ending while I felt “Get Out” wrapped things up a bit better. However, it was a close call. I chose “The Rider” for Cinematography though as it was a beautifully shot film.

I fully expect to feel the wrath of many people here for my views on The Florida Project and Call Me By Your Name so have at it. LOL!

I hope everyone is doing well.

I thought The Rider ended extremely well, on a note of emotional catharsis for the main character as he imagines himself back on that horse, giving me emotional resonance as a viewer for having seen the film. Opinions are cool though. I really hope The Rider wins Cinematography. It was like some diet-Deakins stuff going on with Joshua James Richards. He earned it and I hope he pulls off the win on merit alone.

The Florida Project wasn’t one of the worst movies of the year for me, although I agree it was overrated as all hell. Willem Dafoe did nothing to deserve an Oscar nomination. The pedophile scene was really good but it wasn’t nearly enough to merit all the acclaim he has received for his performance in this film, and I’m happy the Spirits were wise enough to not fall for the hype of the studio publicists and snub him.

I liked CMBYN okay enough the first time I saw it, although I am kind of scarred from when I was yelled at and even outright slandered on these forums for correctly using the term “pedophilia” to describe the relationship between a 17-year-old and 24-year-old. Heterosexual or homosexual, legal or illegal, I never felt comfortable with that and I never will be. There are a lot of ignorant creeps and liars out there who, rather than politely agreeing to disagree on CMBYN, would rather slander and make up blatant falsehoods and inaccurate assumptions about the people who dare to speak anything negative about the Guadagnino film. They call themselves the “CMBYN mafia” and they are sadly real, even if they don’t all actually label themselves that. The 2nd time I re-watched CMBYN I turned it off with about 40 minutes left. I realized than crazy stan obsessiveness aside, Chalamet really didn’t do anything extraordinary, layered, or transformative in regards to his acting itself, outside of that final scene with him crying at the fire. I voted for Robert Pattinson because he didn’t just have one Oscar bait “money scene” but was consistently spectacular and made his character feel like a lived-in human being from beginning to end in the film. I hate that Good Time is probably going to get shut out completely from the Indie Spirits in spite of having 5 nominations, since I do believe it can already be called a cult classic.

I also loved Patti Cake$ but decided while its familiar story I’ve seen done many times before was extremely well-acted and sincerely delivered, that Ingrid Goes West deserved my vote for First Feature more due to its relevance with its subject matter of social media stalkers. Plus, if Ingrid Goes West wins First Feature then Aubrey Plaza will still win an award as a producer of the film, even though she was criminally snubbed for Female Lead.

I really hope A Fantastic Woman wins International Film, but BPM is still my 2nd favorite of the nominee, if a distant 2nd. The actors did very good but I didn’t care for the pacing and the script felt uneven in how it balanced out the romance of the 2 leads with the activism.

Here’s hoping I, Tonya wins Film Editing!

Thank you for sharing your ballot! 🙂

PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

McDonough and Janney. Barf.

Makuta Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

McDonough and Janney. Barf.

Come on, I voted for Get Out for Best Picture, Good Time for Male Lead and Director, is there really nothing you liked that I voted for? Have you even seen A Fantastic Woman? It really surprised me with how well-directed, paced, and acted it was. Check it out when you can, it is a real gem of a film.

Also, we can totally agree to disagree on the quality of Three Billboards as a film, and that is perfectly fine as always. We are entitled to our own opinions… but damn I am SO NOT REGRETTING ANY OF MY VOTES for Billboards, especially after seeing THIS:

“Activists Tap ‘Three Billboards’ Messaging for Grenfell Justice and Gun Control”

http://variety.com/2018/film/in-contention/three-billboards-grenfell-gun-control-1202702888/

Now THAT is some serious cultural impact, that I would argue even puts Get Out to shame!

Another day goes bye, the more and more confident I get in Billboards winning Picture and Original Screenplay at the Oscars to go with its 2 inevitable acting wins. 🙂

Ted Howard
    Participant
    Topics:

A three way race for Best Picture. Lady Bird,  CMBYN and Get Out .I think Chalamet is a shoo in for Best Actor

kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

“Activists Tap ‘Three Billboards’ Messaging for Grenfell Justice and Gun Control”

http://variety.com/2018/film/in-contention/three-billboards-grenfell-gun-control-1202702888/

I’m not a huge fan of Three Billboards, but I was thrilled to see that come out of it.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Can you explain your reasoning for voting for Janney?

Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

Teridax, what I find weird is your total change of opinions from one vision of 3 Billboards to another; I remember the good old days when you used to hate it. Maybe you should watch it a third time, in case you haven’t yet, to settle on a more solid opinion. Or maybe I’m just nostalgic of that old version of you, since I don’t hate the movie but between the hate and the love for it I would definitely lean towards the former.

I agree with your picks in Supporting Actress and Editing, anyway (though I haven’t seen all the nominees).

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Marco B..
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Teridax, what I find weird is your total change of opinions from one vision of 3 Billboards to another; I remember the good old days when you used to hate it. Maybe you should watch it a third time, in case you haven’t yet, to settle on a more solid opinion. Or maybe I’m just nostalgic of that old version of you, since I don’t hate the movie but between the hate and the love for I would definitely lean towards the former.

There’s nothing weird. Teridax is inconsistent and hysterical. One second he hates something and is sure that it can’t win, the next second he absolutely loves it and thinks it’s crazy not to think it’ll win. It’s hard to keep up and hard to put up with such extremes.

Makuta Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Teridax, what I find weird is your total change of opinions from one vision of 3 Billboards to another; I remember the good old days when you used to hate it. Maybe you should watch it a third time, in case you haven’t yet, to settle on a more solid opinion. Or maybe I’m just nostalgic of that old version of you, since I don’t hate the movie but between the hate and the love for it I would definitely lean towards the former.

I agree with your picks in Supporting Actress and Editing, anyway (though I haven’t seen all the nominees).

I realized my hate of the film was irrational and I was misinterpreting the intentions of McDonagh. You are entitled to your own opinion, of course. Don’t be nostalgic, people can change their minds, if they see something crucial that they completely missed the first time experiencing a work of art. I think that sounds reasonable. Thanks for your support in my support of I, Tonya.

@gustavocruzesilva “There’s nothing weird. Teridax is inconsistent and hysterical. One second he hates something and is sure that it can’t win, the next second he absolutely loves it and thinks it’s crazy not to think it’ll win. It’s hard to keep up and hard to put up with such extremes.”

There you are again, rudely slandering me as hysterical when you ironically are literally one of the most hysterical people I know in your refusal to ever reconsider your own beliefs, even if many people are telling you that you actually might be missing something critical to understanding a work of art, like Three Billboards. Obviously, you don’t have to love it, but your narrow-minded and overly simplistic approach to the film I find disappointing. I was mature enough to re-watch it with as objective and open a mind as I possibly could, and I picked up on a ton of nuance you and many of the films haters clearly missed out on. You clearly aren’t very good at picking up subtleties, or maybe you are if those subtleties aren’t in a film that is as morally challenging and ambiguous as Billboards.

As for me changing my mind as to whether something can or can’t win or not, I came in 15th place out of over 8,700 people predicting the Oscar nominations this year, so I’m one of the most rational people you could talk to simply as far as predictions are concerned. I only ever change my mind regarding my predictions if the stats and/or general buzz don’t support my predicted winner or nominee anymore.

If people were always consistent in this world, we wouldn’t have phones, airplanes, or any other invention that didn’t exist before. People are redeemable, even the most seemingly terrible ones, that is the point of Three Billboards. Whether or not it worked for you, fine. That is your opinion, please let me be entitled to mine.

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

My ballot:

FEATURE: Lady Bird

DIRECTOR: Sean Baker

ACTOR: Robert Pattinson

ACTRESS: Saorise Ronan

SUPP. ACTOR: Barry Keoghan

SUPP. ACTRESS: Laurie Metcalf

SCREENPLAY: Lady Bird

FIRST SCREENPLAY: The Big Sick

FIRST FEATURE: Ingrid Goes West

DOCUMENTARY: Faces Places

EDITING: Good Time

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Killing of a Sacred Deer

INTERNATIONAL FILM: Beats Per Minute

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

Makuta Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

My ballot:

FEATURE: Lady Bird

DIRECTOR: Sean Baker

ACTOR: Robert Pattinson

ACTRESS: Saorise Ronan

SUPP. ACTOR: Barry Keoghan

SUPP. ACTRESS: Laurie Metcalf

SCREENPLAY: Lady Bird

FIRST SCREENPLAY: The Big Sick

FIRST FEATURE: Ingrid Goes West

DOCUMENTARY: Faces Places

EDITING: Good Time

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Killing of a Sacred Deer

INTERNATIONAL FILM: Beats Per Minute

I really like this ballot overall, but my favorite by far is Robert Pattinson, just so that I know that I wasn’t the ONLY Spirit voter to cast my ballot for him instead of guaranteed winner Timothee Chalamet. Thanks for that. I wonder if Lady Bird could actually sweep the Spirits, winning all 4 of its categories while Get Out goes home empty-handed, losing Director to Guadagnino or even Baker in a major upset. If Get Out wins nothing at the Independent Spirit Awards then I will know for sure it isn’t winning anything at the Oscars, since the Spirits have called the BP Oscar winner for the past few years. Even if Lady Bird wins BP at the Spirits I don’t think it will win the BP Oscar due to its WGA loss, Bafta Picture snub, Globe Director snub, and Oscar Film Editing snub all combining to ruin its chances regardless of what us Spirits voters decided.

Besides us agreeing on Pattinson for Male Lead, our votes matched for Ingrid Goes West for First Feature and The Big Sick for First Screenplay. High fives on both of those categories!

Thank you very much for sharing your ballot. Solid choices all around. Even though most of them weren’t my personal faves, I can still respect your opinions.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘My Official 2017 Independent Spirits Awards Ballot (What I voted for!)’ is closed to new replies.