Home Forums Movies National Society of Film Critics Awards for 2016

National Society of Film Critics Awards for 2016

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 128 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
replies
views
users
Eddy Q
Bee
sofan
  • Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

In a year of so many films to honor, NYFCC, LAFCA, NSFC agreed in so many categories (not even mentioning the categories, in which only two of the three agreed).

Directing – Jenkins took NYFCC, LAFCA, NSFC.
    Actress – Huppert took NYFCC, LAFCA, NSFC.
    Supporting Actor – Ali took NYFCC, LAFCA, NSFC.
    Cinematography – Moonlight took NYFCC, LAFCA, NSFC.

Picture – LAFCA, NSFC
    Affleck – NYFCC, NSFC; LAFCA runner-up
    Williams – NYFCC, NSFC; LAFCA runner-up
    Manchester by the Sea for Screenplay – NYFCC, NSFC; LAFCA runner-up

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Nonfiction Film: “O.J.: Made in America”

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Beards are so passé. Like seriously guys, just shave them already.

I will keep my furry face until I die.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you consider yourself a bear?

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

So ironic that I started this thread saying how NSFC were the most individual group – not anymore, evidently! Though I won’t complain, because due to infuriatingly late UK release dates I’ve still hardly seen any of them. (Seeing La La Lana and Manchester next week.) For all I know, these winners could all obviously be more deserving than everyone else. Still, the old NSFC probably would’ve had Toni Erdmann as at least a runner-up for Best Picture. Just sayin’.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you consider yourself a bear?

More of a raccoon, really.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

More of a raccoon, really.

Dark circles on a man can be sexy (Benicio del Toro).

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Non-fiction film runners-up: I Am Not Your Negro & 13th

Cristi Puiu’s Sieranevada wins Special Citation for a Film Awaiting American Distribution

ReplyCopy URL
    manakamana
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel so sorry for Sally Hawkins now. These days when you’re passion pick leading actress and win both LAFCA and NSFCA you’re secured of Oscar nom. It’s such a pity she had bad luck of becoming one and only actress who won Critics Trifecta and still got snubbed by AMPAS. It must stings as fuck.

She straight up should have WON, I remember it feeling pretty surreal when it became apparent that she was getting squeezed out of the nomination. BAFTA’s snub was a kiss of death, perhaps it was a grand British conspiracy to not rock the boat for the Year of Winslet — Kate did take up two of the nominations in that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Maxwell
    Participant
    Topics:

Ehh, I think the Hawkins snub was more just BAFTA (and Oscar’s) nonsensical coolness toward all things Mike Leigh. If all were right with the world, then Staunton would’ve won and Hawkins, Manville, and Spall would’ve at least been nominated. Hawkins at least has her Blue Jasmine nom as a consolation prize.

ReplyCopy URL
    Philip
    Participant
    Topics:

BUT YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE FILM! You don’t know what either of them does! Instead you are picking what you read on the Internet and view from a trailer instead of making an opinion of the film and it’s performances. Everyone calls these critics groups sheep for picking all the same winners, but you are following Internet chatter to form an opinion on a film.

For the last time, I have no opinion about the film, I am waiting to see it. And if I did base my opinion about the film on what’s written on the internet, with 96 on MC I don’t think it’d be negative. But the performances can be seen from the trailers and neither of them scream “let’s award them like there is no one else!!”

It’s like talking to a brick wall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Participant
    Topics:

Ehh, I think the Hawkins snub was more just BAFTA (and Oscar’s) nonsensical coolness toward all things Mike Leigh. If all were right with the world, then Staunton would’ve won and Hawkins, Manville, and Spall would’ve at least been nominated. Hawkins at least has her Blue Jasmine nom as a consolation prize.

They liked him best in the 90’s with Secrets & Lies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Just found this ridiculous piece on Deadline about the NSFC awards. The headline says ‘La La Land Snubbed’; erm, no it wasn’t, it got three runner-ups including Best Picture. Later the article spouts this nonsense right here:

‘The two films’ [Manchester & Moonlight] dominating performance with the national film critics also solidly up-ends the prevailing assumption that La La Land is the film to beat in the Oscars race. Could we be seeing the beginning of a backlash against the critically acclaimed Damien Chazelle-directed musical?’

There might be a backlash against La La Land somewhere, but it’s certainly not coming from a group of critics who voted it 2nd and 3rd runner-up for Director and Film, respectively. They just liked Moonlight even more, that’s all. And La La Land’s frontrunner status is not “solidly up-ended” by a critics group of 27 who two years ago voted for Jean-Luc Godard’s ‘Goodbye to Language’ as Best Picture. Let’s get real, here. Anyway, here’s the link to this silly piece:

http://deadline.com/2017/01/the-national-society-of-film-critics-awards-winners-list-1201880563/

ReplyCopy URL
    pacinofan
    Participant
    Topics:

The NSFC has more than 27 members. It was only 27 who voted in The final round of voting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Know what’s funny? I went to Awards daily comment section on Portman and Stone and one of the comments stated that Portman gave an outstanding performance but she shouldn’t win “because it isn’t undeniable for her to win a second one”. They said, despite La La Land being overrated, Emma Stone should win “because she doesn’t have one yet”….

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.