August 11, 2014 at 7:23 am #155702
I just looked up the ages of the actors from the original and tried to find actors of the same age now who might be right and this is what I found:
Howard Beale (60) = Dennis Quaid
Diana Christensen (35) = Rose Byrne
Max Schumacher (58) = Bryan Cranston
Frank Hackett (45) = Matthew McConaughey
Louise Schumacher (62) = Christine Baranski
Not bad, I’d say!April 14, 2018 at 7:44 pm #1202529537
I am bumping this thread because I was so glad to find it, because Network is airing on PBS this weekend, and because Cranston just won an Olivier Award for his performance as Howard Beale on the West End this season. I had him down for Max 4 years ago, but I totally get why he was cast as Beale. As the lone American in the cast, I think that he would be most likely to repeat the role on Broadway or in a film transfer of this adaptation. And Michelle Dockery, the only other “name” in the cast, played Diana, but I could see even her being replaced by a “bigger” name if this production is to be repeated.
April 14, 2018 at 11:39 pm #1202529560
- This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Nate.
Nicole Kidman sort of did a homage to Diana Christensen at the beginning of The Stepford Wives remake.
I wonder if she could do it full out. (although the original is hard to compete with)April 14, 2018 at 11:44 pm #1202529561
GARY OLDMAN AS HOWARD BEALE PLEASE!
Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!
Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.April 15, 2018 at 6:54 am #1202529626
I always thought Paul Thomas Anderson should remake this, as he loves this film and he would do it great justice
- <strong style=”font-size: 14px;”>Howard Beale…Geoffrey Rush (this role should not go to a big star – a well-known and calm actor would give maximum intensity to the role)
- <strong style=”font-size: 14px;”>Diana Christensen…Amy Adams OR Tilda Swinton (it depends where the film is going with Diana – I personally prefer the acidic and cynical nastiness Faye Dunaway brought to the role, so my choice would be Tilda Swinton, who is such a great actress and would be perfectly clinical and cold. However, if they want to go for a beautiful woman who got to the top of the corporate ladder through cheating and evil, while using her looks to help her, Adams is the way to go)
- <strong style=”font-size: 14px;”>Max Schumacher…John Lithgow (this man needs another great film. He is very talented, and this type of role would be perfect for him. A man at the end of his rope, and who can no longer take it, but he has to remain optimistic)
- <strong style=”font-size: 14px;”>Frank Hackett…Robert Downey Jr. (RDJ is a great actor, and he has played the slimy but charismatic man in power before. It would give him a chance to abandon the Iron Man/Sherlock Holmes trope and do something more baity, and win an award or two)
- <strong style=”font-size: 14px;”>Louis Schumacher…Frances McDormand (a great veteran actress who is amazingly intense, and can easily play the quiet housewife who explodes in front of her husband)
- Arthur Jensen…John Malkovich (this role would have been tailor-made for Philip Seymour Hoffman – a short and impactful role that he would have brought great insensitity and brilliance to, and he would have easily done this for his best friend PTA if he asked)
If you want to get a combination of Amy Adams and Tilda Swinton who would also be the right age to play Diana, I would suggest either Kate Winslet or Rosamund Pike.April 15, 2018 at 1:30 pm #1202529803
Dir. Ava Duvernay
Laurence Fishburne as Howard Beale
Kerry Washington as Diana Christensen
Dennis Haysbert as Max Schumacher
Derek Luke as Frank Hackett
Alfre Woodard as Louise Schumacher
Charles S. Dutton as Arthur JensenApril 16, 2018 at 5:27 am #1202530308
Rosamund Pike as Diana
Bryan Cranston as Howard
Matt Damon as Max
Laura Dern as LouiseApril 16, 2018 at 7:25 am #1202530343
Before I opened this thread I read that Carrie Coon is in the new Avengers film doing voice over. Then I found this thread and well, Carrie Coon as Diana.
But some suggestions like Rose Byrne are also great.
Suggestions like Adams, Chastain and Blanchett are of course great but common, it would be cool to let another actress take this role instead of the usual easy choices.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.