Home Forums Movies Official Cinderella (2015) Thread

Official Cinderella (2015) Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
Created
6 years ago
Last Reply
6 years ago
replies
views
users
vinny
Stardust
Cheshire
  • Profile picture
    Stardust
    Topics:

Twitter reactions + more reviews:

Cinderella: a live action Disney self-homage that avoids new terrirories. That’s why it works. Enjoyable. And CATE BLANCHETT. #Berlinale 

I hate Kenneth Branagh. He made me like a fairytale. #berlinale #cinderella 

Well, CINDERELLA, what a pleasant surprise. #Berlinale 

#berlinale2015 just wow for #cinderella the press (!) even applauded during the film. It’s charming, magical and funny in every way #disney 

CINDERELLA (Branagh) Patriarchal ideology is alive and well. A fine film, & Blanchett does a great Joan Crawford, but…necessary? 

Branagh’s Cinderella – traditional retelling with bags of romance, humour and charm. A lovely family film. 

Press at the screening seemed to have enjoyed Disney’s new #Cinderella. Waiting for the press conference to start now. 

“#KennethBranagh brought the story of #Cinderella right down to the core and the heart.” #LilyJames @CinderellaMovie #Belinale 

#Cinderella was pure feel good, lot’s of fun, although the holier than thou-heroine is a bit annoying, as always. #Berlinale 

So I saw Kenneth Branagh’s CINDERELLA earlier today. It’s a straightforward retelling, but on those terms it’s quite lovely. #Berlinale 

Will always be a Lesley Ann Warren girl at heart, but Branagh’s CINDERELLA is wonderful. Plus — better shoes than the Malick. 

I really enjoyed Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella. Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter & Lily James are beautiful. 

Took my Disney expert @amycurrie to see a preview of the new live-action Cinderella. Very sweet film. Cate Blanchett was fabulous as usual.
    ————–

Review excerpts:

TimeOut, 3/5 http://www.timeout.com/london/film/cinderella-2015 

Cate Blanchett is wickedly good as her evil stepmother Lady Tremaine, dressed to kill in the style of a 1940s femme fatale with Veronica Lake curls and blood-red lipstick. This is a pretty faithful retelling of the classic fairytale, but Branagh and screenwriter Chris Weitz (‘The Golden Compass’) have rustled up enough of a backstory to stop Lady T being a straight-up psycho-bitch villainess. 

You know the rest. Helena Bonham Carter is hilarious as the Fairy Godmother, a cross between Gok Wan and a toff racing-horse trainer after a few gin and tonics. 

It’s all very sweet and harmless, though you can’t help wishing that Cinders got her happy ending for more than being kind to her digital mice and weathering a lot of crap with a never-ending smile on her face.

The Guardian, 3/5 – http://tinyurl.com/pbnz2mh 

Here’s a question for an enlightened-age Cinderella. If every woman in the land gets to try on one blasted glass slipper for a shot at Prince Charming’s hand in marriage, why does the wicked, widowed stepmother never have a go? Is she too old? Too ugly? Too imperfectly coiffed? None is an accusation you could fairly level against Cate Blanchett’s splendid Lady Tremaine. A tart-tongued beauty with a traffic-stopping wardrobe inherited from the personal archives of Edith Head – not to mention an evident knack for hosting a mean poker party – she’s plainly the biggest catch in the entire kingdom. 

Blanchett is certainly the best thing in Kenneth Branagh’s perky, pretty, lavender-scented cupcake of a fairytale adaptation – the first in what looks to be a series of live-action Disney updates of their own animated classics. (Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson as Belle, is already in the works.) Perhaps “update” isn’t the word, given that its go-getting villain is the only element of this irony-free interpretation that feels remotely revisionist: cleverly played by Blanchett as a life-hardened femme fatale rather than an irrational harridan, this sexed-up stepmum is just a woman trying to get ahead in what is still rigidly, for all its talk of happy endings, a man’s world.

HeyUGuys, 3/5 – http://www.heyuguys.com/cinderella-review/ 

The original story of Cinderella is very much of its time. Given it’s a folk tale that is centuries old, you can appreciate why that may may come with its own problems, such as the gender stereotyping, where marriage is considered to be something of a life goal, as women across the kingdom queue up just for a chance to be Prince Charming’s other half, considered, for Cinderella, as a means of escape. So with this opportunity there is the chance for Disney to update the tale accordingly, and take a leaf out of their own book, following on from Frozen, or Into the Woods, and adhere to a more forward-thinking, contemporary world. However Branagh has opted to merely remain faithful to the classic story is to the film’s detriment.

Nonetheless, there are positives that come with this distinct familiarity, making for a nostalgia-infused, and charming piece of cinema. Such is the affable tone and vivacious, good-natured spirit, that you are able to look past such flaws, and enjoy this for what it is – a family adventure that will engage and entertain both children and their parents alike, as one we can identify with and romanticise over, given we’ve all grown up with this tale. Branagh is helped along by the credentials of his impressive, assembled cast, with Blanchett in particular, the star of the show. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stardust
    Topics:

Berlin press conference highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAE9ymo2i8k

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TomHardys
    Topics:

Can’t wait to see predictions’ lists featuring Cate Blanchett’s performance in Cinderella LMAO. Regardless of the positive reactions I still feel like this movie was totally and utterly unnecessary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I have to admit: Disney was smart choosing this and in its casting. It looks like a very cute family movie, which will make it stand out big time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

This movie is on pace for at least $65 million in North America this weekend.

Expect lots of Oscar nominations in the tech categories (costumes, art direction, etc.).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KyleBailey
    Topics:

Yeah this is going to do well come awards time. I can’t wait until Thursday! Reviews are very good which is a rare thing for these live action fairy tales. 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nick Spake
    Topics:

My Review

Chances are you either love or hate last year’s “Maleficent” and Tim
    Burton’s 2010 remake of “Alice in Wonderland.” Personally, I’m split on
    them. Both films have some dazzling visuals, standout performances, and
    inspired ideas. Compared to their animated predecessors and even as
    standalone films, though, neither fully materializes on a storytelling
    level. Kenneth Branagh’s “Cinderella” is the first live-action Disney
    remake to get things right, staying true to the original classic while
    offering something new too.

For the most part, this is the same Cinderella story that’s been
    passed down for generations. Girl loses parents, girl gains evil
    stepmother, girl meets prince, girl gets glass slippers, girl loses
    prince, girl loses glass slipper, girl and prince find each other again,
    and they live happily ever after. Since this is such a familiar
    narrative, there really wasn’t any need for Disney to make another
    version. Watching Branagh’s “Cinderella,” however, you occasionally feel
    like you’re hearing this fairytale for the first time.

Just as Branagh made the best looking interpretation of “Hamlet” ever
    put on film, he’s done the same for “Cinderella.” Everything from the
    colorful costumes to the stunning sets pop out at the audience,
    immersing us in a truly magical storybook world. What’s more, Branagh
    does a wonderful job at staging every scene, whether it’s an extravagant
    ball with hundreds of extras or a more intimate conversation between
    two people in a small room. This is such a visually grand piece that you
    must see it on the big screen.

As great as the presentation is, the beauty of Branagh’s picture is
    far from skin-deep. Cate Blanchett gives a pitch perfect performance as
    Lady Tremaine aka Cinderella’s evil stepmother. Often hiding her
    malevolence behind a cunning grin, Blanchett manages to be so cruel and
    calculating with the tiniest of actions. She’s a villain we love to
    hate, but Chris Weitz’s screenplay gives her a little more depth than
    you might expect. While Tremaine never becomes an entirely sympathetic
    character, Blanchett does have a dynamite scene in the final act that
    offers a glimpse of why this woman is such a miserable witch.

We additionally get some fine work from Derek Jacobi as the King,
    Sophie McShera and Holliday Grainger as the ugly stepsisters, and Helena
    Bonham Carter as the Fairy Godmother. Yet, the movie appropriately
    belongs to Lily James’ Cinderella. James shines as the iconic princess
    who’s as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside, firmly
    believing that courage and kindness are the essential components of
    life.

Many have debated in recent years whether Cinderella encourages a
    negative moral seeing how she basically just sits around and waits for
    her prince to come. Nevertheless, the best portrayals of Cinderella
    understand that there’s more to this character than a sheltered little
    girl. While not as modern as a princess like Elsa, Cinderella is
    hardworking, compassionate towards others, and remains strong even
    during the darkest of times. As Cinderella, Lily James encompasses the
    very best of humanity and everything that’s right with the world. How
    could anybody like that not be a good role model?

Of course we also get a touch of romance between Cinderella and
    Prince Charming, played by Richard Madden from “Game of Thrones.” Once
    again, they meet and almost immediately fall in love. Given the
    incredibly chemistry between these actors, good pacing, and some nicely
    written dialog, though, you really believe their instantaneous
    connection. That’s more than can be said about the lovers in “Fifty
    Shades of Grey.”

If you’re going to introduce your child to the story of Cinderella,
    Walt Disney’s 1950 animated masterpiece is still the best. The fact that
    this “Cinderella” earns a worthy comparison is still an achievement,
    however. In Branagh’s hands, this remains a delightful, exciting, and
    timeless story that will never get old. Walking out of the theater,
    you’ll not only feel more hopeful, but inspired to spread goodwill
    everywhere you go next.

B+

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KyleBailey
    Topics:

What you expect is what your most likely going to get. It’s a fine movie that doesn’t take any chances which neither hurts nor helps the film. The great Sandy Powell gives it her all with the costumes but I felt they needed more exciting production design to match them. The movie just felt like they walked in a typical period piece film and I felt if they wanted to go for that then the costumes should have been toned down or the production design should have been toned up. Granted, the visual effects during the pumpkin transformation scene is astonishing and the climatic ball is a joy to watch. Lily James is fine as Cinderella but her show was always being stolen by Cate Blanchett and the always fabulous Helena Bonham Carter. Stellan Skarsgard is also great as always as one of the Prince’s right hand men and the prince, Richard Madden was pretty good too. I also enjoyed the great cameo by British comedian Rob Brydon as the painter at the beginning. Kenneth Branagh does a good job translating this into a live action piece without throwing in huge left turns like recent adaptations like Maleficent and Snow White and the Huntsman did and keeping it very low key in terms of value for all ages in the audiences and not throwing in anything pushing its PG rating. It must be said that while watching this movie I couldn’t help but think about these characters being depicted in Into the Woods. Though they are different ways of telling the story, I just felt those cast members looked like they were having more fun with their characters especially the step sisters. These ones were kind of one note and bland minus one funny moment towards the beginning involving singing. But Blanchett did really look like she was having a lot of fun in her role so I will give her that advantage. There is also excellent hair and make up in this mostly after the transformation scene where they creatively turn animals into humans yet keeping features of their animals shown like the lizard’s sharp teeth or the duck’s large nose in place of a beak, I found that very creative. Full disclosure, Cinderella is not my favorite fairy tale I have always found it kind of bland and I kind of still felt that way up until Helena Bonham Carter’s entrance as the Fairy Godmother. That’s when the movie really pumps up in entertainment. The score was nice but sometimes felt overbearing and one thing I do think is missing from some of these fairy tale adaptations in the music. Many of these fairy tales are beloved for their music and especially if Disney is adapting them it shouldn’t be a real problem to get the rights to even maybe one or two songs, it would just liven up some of these fairy tale adaptations. Overall, it’s perfect for a family and not much that you’ll worry about content going over kid’s heads and nothing shockingly different that would anger any die hard Cinderella fans. It’s nice but I’m not over the moon about it. 4 stars 

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

This was a cute movie. Definately didnt rework the story that much so it was what I expected it to be. My grade: B

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Filmatelist
    Topics:

Be Kind.

Be Courageous.

But most of all, be Passive.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GraemeONeil
    Topics:

Here’s my review
    You can watch my Movie Minute Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXDWsLMC_oE&list=PLZ9JFEQ2TiT0VRlp9fJqIbLJs_ughBbYn
    Or read it here:  http://graemeoneil.com/2015/03/23/review-cinderella/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Tye-Grr
    Topics:

This was a nicely made, well acted, traditional Disney live-action film. I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Blanchett was the scene stealer as the wicked step-mother, getting to ham it up a bit and look gorgeous doing it. Lily James was radiant and lovely as Cinderella, and Richard Madden was charming as heck and shared great chemistry with James. The production design was fine, but the costumes really popped. The ball gown was a stunner, and several of Blanchett’s looks were terrific. This is a solid family flick.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.