Home Forums Movies Official SILENCE Thread (limited release date 12/23)

Official SILENCE Thread (limited release date 12/23)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 181 through 189 (of 189 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
3 years ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
GusCruz
Eddy Q
Bee
  • Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw Silence again today because a friend wanted to see it. He’s not a Christian, but his wife is. He’s no hardcore film buff – he’d never seen a Scorsese movie until six months ago – but he said he really liked the film and when I asked him if he thought it felt like nearly three hours, he said it didn’t. This is how I felt the first time I saw it; perhaps it was partly due to having read the book so I already knew how far the story had to go, but I adjusted to its tempo.

This was only one person, but it does indicate that Silence has at least some appeal beyond cinephiles, Scorsese fans and devout Christians, if people actually sit down and watch it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks @kylebailey. This movie needs people like you encouraging others to go check it out. As for Garfield, I hear Hacksaw is also a very Christian film.

Garfield’s character is a Seventh-Day Adventist, which has long been seen as outside of the Protestant mainstream tradition and which fundies often reject as “Christian” per se (even more true at the time that HACKSAW is set)–which makes the religious dimension that much more telling because the implicit message is that all his fellow troops who mock and/or harass him are what they’d self-identify as “God-fearing” but it’s Garfield who sticks to his non-guns and is a man of faith by his actions, not just his words.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

So this is now suddenly expanding to more than triple the number of locations: from 474 to 1580! Seems optimistic after the underwhelming box office.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

This film is decent, but far too long and a touch plodding in places.

I thought it was all about the hunt for Liam Neeson, but he seems to be a distant thought for 95% of the running time.

Andrew Garfield and Liam Neeson are both very good. It’s a shame the film as a whole is rather forgettable.

Maybe a second viewing will let me appreciate all of the components more, knowing where the story is actually going, instead of trying to work out why they are where they are, and what purpose it is serving.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Karl Vincent
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope this film is still eligible for 2018 award seasons since it is late for screenings.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awardsfan1990
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope this film is still eligible for 2018 award seasons since it is late for screenings.

It won’t be, because it’s listed among the eligible productions for this year’s Academy Awards. Once a film is eligible one year, it can’t be eligible again another year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

This has finally reached my area, and it’s showing on only one screen at 10 PM for a almost 3-hour film? The studio failed “Silence” at every possible turn.

ReplyCopy URL
    GusCruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Scorsese meets Hou Hsiao Hsien for Silence’s Thailand premiere yesterday: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1311586718885325&id=135596846484324&_rdr Two of the world’s greatest filmmakers.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe they’ll have received their screeners by then!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 181 through 189 (of 189 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.