Home Forums Movies Best Actress 2018

Best Actress 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
Miles
Tammyswift
Stegeo
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are mine, what are yours? I know y’all love the performance I don’t love – we all get to put down our own order of preferences.

1. Margot Robbie for I, Tonya. My only small quibble is that Robbie is too pretty to get the one most important thing about Tonya Harding – she didn’t fit the super-pretty cute ice princess mold, beyond her being from the wrong side of the tracks. With that said, her performance is fiery, funny, exciting, fascinating, vulnerable, tough – it has it all! Truly superb!

2. Meryl Streep for The Post. I rate this as one of her top 5 performances ever. Agree or disagree with me, I found her mesmerizing. Any scene she was in I watched HER and not the other characters. She has “it” when it comes to the camera. Her performance is superb and she is mesmerizing.

3. Saoirse Ronan for Lady Bird. She nails the American accent, she is feisty, funny and moving, and she has great chemistry with everyone.

4. Sally Hawkins for The Shape of Water. She too is excellent. She draws us in and her scenes are the best of show in this movie. I would be fine with any of my top four winning.

5. Frances McDormand for 3 Billboards. Look, I know y’all love this performance and I don’t. I have enjoyed her work in the past, esp. Fargo, North Country and Olive Kittredge. And it is perhaps true that my complete dislike for her character may be in my way, I simply hated this movie. I am predicting she will win but I am hoping she doesn’t.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Sally Hawkins
    2. Margot Robbie
    3. Saoirse Ronan
    4. Frances McDormand
    haven’t seen Streep
    2-4 are all really close, Hawkins is pretty far ahead of them though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Frances McDormand
    2. Margot Robbie
    3. Sally Hawkins
    4. Saiorse Ronan
    5. Meryl Streep

ReplyCopy URL
    LaChienne
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Margot Robbie
    2. Frances McDormand
    3. Sally Hawkins
    4. Saoirse Ronan
    5. Meryl Streep

I would be happy seeing any of the top four win. I didn’t care for Streep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Noah Arlington
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Saoirse Ronan
    2. Margot Robbie
    3. Sally Hawkins
    4. Meryl Streep
    5. Frances McDormand

ReplyCopy URL
    TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Streep yet.

4. Robbie: entertaining and convincing, but not getting anywhere against these heavyweights

3. Ronan: wonderful as ever

2. McDormand: a forceful, memorable, and extremely well-acted role

1. Hawkins: the only winner I want. Simply outstanding

ReplyCopy URL
    Gain
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Post. Out of the four it’s:

1. McDormand
    2. Robbie
    3. Hawkins

4. Ronan – not bad per se, just a tad overrated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Margot Robbie

2. Frances McDormand

3. Saoirse Ronan

4. Sally Hawkins

5. Meryl Streep

Would be thrilled if Robbie or McDormand wins. Wouldn’t mind if Ronan wins but don’t think she should for this performance. Wouldn’t like if Hawkins or Streep wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

1. Sally Hawkins
    2. Margot Robbie
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Saoirse Ronan
    5. Meryl Streep

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Robbie
    2. McDormand
    3. Hawkins
    4. Ronan

Pretty crazy that I liked them all almost equally and would gladly take any of them as the winner.

I’ll watch Streep tonight.

ReplyCopy URL
    nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Sally Hawkins
    2. Frances McDormand
    3. Margot Robbie
    4. Saoirse Ronan
    5. Meryl Streep

ReplyCopy URL
    Volcarocka
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Ronan
    2. McDormand
    3. Robbie
    4. Hawkins

I have not seen The Post yet, but I will soon, I hope.

ReplyCopy URL
    Malcolm Dunbar
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Hawkins – Has the hardest role of the nominated set. Still manages to give a beautiful, layered and humanistic performance that feels true to the film and is dialed into the world that exists. Can’t speak but still manages to say so much about her character through her available means. Is consistent all the way through, and really lives the film that she stars in.

2. McDormand – Gives electrifying performances and has the most baity scenes of an actress in her category. Hits the dramatic highs and also embodies the more realistic aspects of an unsavory character. Can’t be said enough that she embodies her film so completely that without her the entire film could have fallen apart. Successfully dials into her  film to the point where she is the film. Her film suffers from an uneven tone, and the screen play ruins a lot of the plot to the point where her character becomes murky. Navigates the territory successfully enough but by the end of the film we don’t really have an understanding who the character is anymore, or if she learned anything meaningful in the time of her journey. Strong start. Poorer finish.

3. Ronan – Another McDormand but to a lesser power. Successfully dialed into her film, makes strong choices that work for the film and her character in general. Isn’t afraid to show her flaws or her bad parts if it excels the performance. Offers depth and personality and successfully works and maximizes her characters work to the betterment of the story. Leans too much on her supporting actress – Metcalf for heavier lifting though, and has to compete and offer space when she should be leading. Great casting with a strong performance.

4. Streep – Not well dialed into her film. Her film actually goes on without her and is sometimes the better for it. Hanks stole the first part of the film, and Meryl is barely an after thought. Finally comes into her own at the last half of the film and only has two big scenes and a smaller scene to speak of. Those expecting a power house performance from Meryl will be disappointed.

5. Robbie – Uneven performance that is unable to match the swift switches and changes of tone of the film. Excels in the more romantic and vulnerable aspects of the character but is unable to deepen the portrayal of Tonya’s worst parts into more than an isketch with broad lines. A more experienced actress could navigate these waters a bit better but Robbie fails here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vlad Hepburn
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Saoirse Ronan
    2. Frances McDormand
    3. Sally Hawkins
    4. Margot Robbie
    5. Meryl Streep

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Sally Hawkins
    Saoirse Ronan
    Frances McDormand
    Margot Robbie
    Meryl Overrated Streep

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.