Home Forums Movies Best Supporting Actress 2018

Best Supporting Actress 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Scott
Miles
Andrew Carden
  • DaytimeEmmyWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

This may be confirmation bias, but I feel like I’ve seen a lot of robust, glowing press coverage for Laurie Metcalf in the past week (more so than most other nominees). There were major features in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Deadline, Vanity Fair, Washington Post, etc., all with the consistent narrative that she is 1) a true actor’s actor, 2) hard-working and unbelievably talented, 3) awe-inspiring to colleagues, and 4) finally getting the attention she deserves. It helps that she’s got a play and the Roseanne revival coming. I haven’t seen the same amount of ink on Allison Janney. Do others think this press push could make a difference in the race, or is it still Janney’s to lose?

ReplyCopy URL
    AwardsConnect
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I do sense some backlash to the Janney steamrolling but probably not enough to get Metcalf across the finish line. This isn’t a Bacall-Binoche situation where Metcalf can ride her film’s coattails to victory…considering Lady Bird has no coattails to ride.

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis (and my annual Oscar predictions contest), please visit me at The Awards Connection!

ReplyCopy URL
    Berlin2002
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Octavia Spencer to become the new Thelma Ritter so badly. No one deserves more than her to become modern day queen of supporting category.

She has yet to deserve one of her nominations.

I couldn’t agree more.

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe Metcalf will pull a Ryllance and shock us all!

ReplyCopy URL
    Sally Carter
    Participant
    Topics:

Rylance won BAFTA prior to winning Oscar. Also Idris Elba, who won SAG, wasn’t even nominated that year for Oscar. Metcalf on the other hand didn’t win anything. Zero. Nada. Not even CC or GG. And Janney is nominated for Oscar.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Sally Carter.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

1–Lesley Manville. Anyone who can put Daniel Day-Lewis in his place is alright by me.

2–Allison Janney. Sure, she was a cartoon character. So were Daniel Plainview, Anton Chigurh, and The Joker. Also like them, Janney was utterly electrifying and hilarious.

3–Mary J Blige. I don’t know what people’s issue with her is. She’s no Viola Davis, but I liked her well enough.

4–Laurie Metcalf. I loved her on Roseanne and in Uncle Buck (which is one of my favorite films ever), and her performance was great. However, she reminded me uncomfortably of my own mother. So she’s lower.

5–Octavia Spencer. Look guys, just because Spencer was in a Best Picture Nominee set in the 60’s doesn’t mean she needs a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    jamiepg88
    Participant
    Topics:

Haven’t seen Mudbound yet but

1. Metcalf, totally lived in and believable. Frustrating and loving and completely realistic but still well crafted.

2. Manville, makes the most of every second on screen. Every gesture and glance is calculated and deliberate in the best way possible.

3. Janney, hilarious and broad and definitely the best part of her movie by far. Up against different competitors she’d probably be my number one.

4. Spencer, brilliant actress who continues to be given under written parts with little to do. Still she makes the most of what she’s given but I’d rather have Keener here instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

Rylance won BAFTA prior to winning Oscar. Also Idris Elba, who won SAG, wasn’t even nominated that year for Oscar. Metcalf on the other hand didn’t win anything. Zero. Nada. Not even CC or GG. And Janney is nominated for Oscar.

As the BAFTAs were held after the Oscars back then and don’t count, Metcalf might pull a Binoche. 😉

ReplyCopy URL
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

By the way (and don’t laugh), McDormand is a magnet for upsets. Every time she receives a nod, a shocker happens.

1988 — Geena Davis and Kevin Kline.
    1996 — Juliette Binoche. That huge shocker.
    2000 — Marcia Gay Harden. Steven Soderbergh.
    2005 — Crash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dana S.
    Participant
    Topics:

</p>

<p style=”text-align: center;”>As the BAFTAs were held after the Oscars back then and don’t count, Metcalf might pull a Binoche

Mark Rylance won his Oscar on 28th February 2016. BAFTAs  were awarded on 14th February 2016. He won his BAFTA two weeks before Oscars. BAFTAs were moved before Oscars in 2001. So I honestly don’t know what you are trying to say. Personally I don’t see any logic in your post.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Dana S..
    ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Mark Rylance won his Oscar on 28th February 2016. BAFTAs  were awarded on 14th February 2016. He won his BAFTA two weeks before Oscars. BAFTAs were moved before Oscars in 2001. So I honestly don’t know what you are trying to say. Personally I don’t see any logic in your post.

She’s talking about 1996, when Binoche won, not Rylance.

ReplyCopy URL
    unown
    Participant
    Topics:

Janney is getting that Oscar.

Janney – Her Performance is on the money, but Metcalf just gives that rare near perfect performance and hers is well rounded to boot.

This makes me angry. I mean damn it Metcalf, why don’t u wanna campaign at all!!! I would still cast my non-existent Oscar vote for her even though she has been non existent in campaigning.

ReplyCopy URL
    kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

Laurie Metcalf could have been 75% of the way to an EGOT if the Golden Globes didn’t let Janney flip her an actual, physical bird.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    PerksofBeingaGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

Janney is getting that Oscar. Janney – Her Performance is on the money, but Metcalf just gives that rare near perfect performance and hers is well rounded to boot. This makes me angry. I mean damn it Metcalf, why don’t u wanna campaign at all!!! I would still cast my non-existent Oscar vote for her even though she has been non existent in campaigning.

She is also doing a play and working. This further shows she is the actors actor, and someone who cares so much about the work. She deserves the award. Janney deserves a nomination, but we all know she is capable of so much more. She did more in the scene in The Help with the Constantine story.

The JK Simmons comparisons aren’t even warranted because he gave by far the best performance in that category.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.