Home Forums Movies Original Score Oscars 2019

Original Score Oscars 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
phinsjake
Harmon Van deth
Eddy Q
  • phinsjake
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey all,

I know the Original Score category isn’t even up in the Predictions center yet but I like to get ahead with my personal predictions anyways. This year has a lot of exciting potential, especially with the creation of the shortlist for Original Score debuting this year. Similarly like the “Makeup & Hairstyling” and “Visual Effects” shortlists, there will be 15 selected scores released in early December listing the possible nominees. This was an effort to open up the category to introduce some new faces into the category as opposed to the usual suspects like Alexandre Desplat and Thomas Newman (who still hasn’t won yet alarmingly.) There’s also some repeat contenders from first-time nominees two years ago Justin Hurwitz and Nicholas Britell. However, I’m most curious to see which broader movies will be included in this shortlist increasing the potential for blockbusters and superhero movies to be nominated, such as “Avengers: Infinity War” or “Mission Impossible: Fallout.”

Below I’ve compiled a list of 15 potential shortlist candidates (in alphabetical order) that I think may have a chance of being nominated. Nominees with the “*” symbol next to the composer would be first-time nominees. Again this year we seem to have a lot of Alexandre Desplat films, as he is one of the quickest composers on the market. Since this is the first year that the academy is doing a shortlist for this category, the task of predicting the potential shortlist candidates is difficult simply because there aren’t any trends towards what kind of films they seem to prefer. Perhaps this is supposed to widen the horizon with new composers and previous frequent nominees won’t get that spotlight as usual. Or maybe it’ll do just the opposite, and the shortlist will be compiled of multiple candidates under the same composer. Maybe the blockbusters will rise in this shortlist and we’ll potentially see one of them get nominated. Maybe it will favor the indie films and blockbusters will be out of sight. The problem with predicting them now is that we just don’t know since this is its trial year in doing so.

1. Ad Astra (Thomas Newman)
    2. Avengers: Infinity War (Alan Silvestri)
    3. BlacKkKlansman (Terence Blanchard*)
    4. First Man (Justin Hurwitz)
    5. If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell)
    6. The Incredibles 2 (Michael Giacchino)
    7. Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
    8. Mary Queen of Scots (Max Richter*)
    9. Mission Impossible: Fallout (Lorne Balfe*)
    10. Operation Finale (Alexandre Desplat)
    11. The Sisters Brothers (Alexandre Desplat)
    12. Solo: A Star Wars Story (John Powell)
    13. Vice (Nicholas Britell)
    14. Widows (Hans Zimmer)
    15. You Were Never Really Here (Jonny Greenwood)

The method to my madness was to find a good mix of frequently nominated composers, alongside some recognizable names that just haven’t gotten the chance to be nominated yet. I included some blockbusters with prominent film music and themes, as well as some frequent fliers in this category. Below I’ve chosen the five that I currently think have the best shot of holding down a nomination.

1. First Man (Justin Hurwitz)
    2. If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell)
    3. BlacKkKlansman (Terence Blanchard*)
    4. Ad Astra (Thomas Newman)
    5. The Sisters Brothers (Alexandre Desplat)

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think I should add/take off of my shortlist, and what you think might be the potential method to the music branch’s madness this year.

Jake

Harmon Van deth
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling Mary Poppins Returns will be on that shortlist.

ReplyCopy URL
    phinsjake
    Participant
    Topics:

YES! when I was making my list Mary Poppins Returns crossed my mind but I forgot to update it, thank you I agree

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

What I’m currently predicting:

1. Nicholas Britell, If Beale Street Could Talk
    2. Justin Hurwitz, First Man
    3. Nicholas Britell, Vice
    4. Thom Yorke, Suspiria
    5. Hans Zimmer, Widows

6. Alexandre Desplat, The Sisters Brothers / Isle of Dogs
    7. Max Richter, Mary Queen of Scots

ReplyCopy URL
    Harmon Van deth
    Participant
    Topics:

Currently:

• Mary Queen Of Scots
    • If Beale Street Could Talk
    • Suspiria
    • Mary Poppins Returns
    • First Man

Alt. Widows, Ad Astra, Black Panther

ReplyCopy URL
    phinsjake
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow I can’t believe I’ve been leaving out suspiria this whole time. It seems as if it will have that Mica Levi effect in a score. The scores for Jackie and Under the Skin were so ominous and unique that they landed Levi her first Oscar nomination in 2016. I certainly hope Guadagnino’s “Suspiria” gets some Oscar love

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  phinsjake.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t sleep on Black Panther, it has a lot of the exotic “world-music” elements, with its African drumming and chants, that often wins this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    andrew giordano
    Participant
    Topics:

Black Panther still has my favorite score of the year, I think a nomination for Ludwig Göransson is basically guaranteed. So many iconic tracks. “Killmonger”, “Wakanda”, “Warrior Falls”, “Ancestral Plane” and “Spaceship Bugatti” are among my favorite. Göransson combined traditional African themes and mixed it with modern African American rap. Every time Killmonger showed up his modern theme would play to represent how his new innovative ideas contrasted with the old values of Wakanda. It’s brilliant

ReplyCopy URL
    phinsjake
    Participant
    Topics:

Black Panther still has my favorite score of the year, I think a nomination for Ludwig Göransson is basically guaranteed. So many iconic tracks. “Killmonger”, “Wakanda”, “Warrior Falls”, “Ancestral Plane” and “Spaceship Bugatti” are among my favorite. Göransson combined traditional African themes and mixed it with modern African American rap. Every time Killmonger showed up his modern theme would play to represent how his new innovative ideas contrasted with the old values of Wakanda. It’s brilliant

Fair point, however the only problem I see with the Black Panther soundtrack is its lyrical-heavy soundtrack by various artists. What is actually Göransson’s score is done well, however this was also the case other prominent scores that have been disqualified by the Academy in the past. Take “Arrival” for example. One of Johannsson’s most adept scores was disqualified by the Academy, simply because the primary use of Max Richter’s “On the Nature of Daylight.” In this case, it wasn’t even the primary use of outside sources with words, yet another song on the score that prohibited it from competition. That’s why I didn’t include it on my shortlist.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

<p>Fair point, however the only problem I see with the Black Panther soundtrack is its lyrical-heavy soundtrack by various artists. What is actually Göransson’s score is done well, however this was also the case other prominent scores that have been disqualified by the Academy in the past. Take “Arrival” for example. One of Johannsson’s most adept scores was disqualified by the Academy, simply because the primary use of Max Richter’s “On the Nature of Daylight.” In this case, it wasn’t even the primary use of outside sources with words, yet another song on the score that prohibited it from competition. That’s why I didn’t include it on my shortlist.</p>

As far as I can remember, the line between score and songs in Black Panther’s soundtrack is pretty easy to distinguish, so I think Göransson’s score will be considered as a separate entity. In the case of Arrival, the Richter extract was the most recognisable part of the soundtrack and could have been mistaken for the original score by the average voter who hadn’t researched the topic, so that’s why it was disqualified.

ReplyCopy URL
    Harmon Van deth
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Beale Street
    A Star Is Born
    Suspiria
    First Man
    Mary Poppins Returns

alt: Black Panther

ReplyCopy URL
    lovelylovely
    Participant
    Topics:

From Suspiria, Volk by Thom Yorke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpULWBT1WEg

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I think people remember the soundtrack from black panther a lot more than the score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

<p>I think people remember the soundtrack from black panther a lot more than the score. </p>

Well I don’t.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.