Home Forums Movies Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

Oscar 2018: Is Del Toro a lock for Best Director or Nolan still stands a chance

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
I Am The Night
Teridax
sofan
  • I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that from the beginning the real battle is between only Nolan and Del Toro. And till this point it seems that Del Toro has left Nolan behind. Is there any chance for Nolan at the Oscar ? Like in 2015 Linklater won at BAFTA, Critics Choice and Globe but the Oscar then went to Inarritu. Or in 2012 when Ben Affleck swept all the pre-Oscar Awards just to be snubbed by the Academy.

I assume that if Nolan can get the DGA and maybe BAFTA then his chance will be swiftly increased right ?

I hope Nolan will win but if Del Toro get the Oscar i’ll still be happy because he deserves it.

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan can still win if he gets DGA IMO

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    unbb24
    Participant
    Topics:

del Toro is a lock if he wins DGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

del Toro is a lock if he wins DGA.

But if Nolan wins DGA and BAFTA, Del Toro will still be considered the frontrunner, right ?

ReplyCopy URL
    Sagand
    Participant
    Topics:

Nolan still has a very good chance. I still can’t imagine him losing Bafta, but the Oscar will follow DGA. The consensus is del Toro is will win that easily, but to me DGA is still very much in the balance (I’m still favouring Nolan.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Roboto
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, in 2011, Fincher swept everything but DGA. That went to Tom Hooper who went on to win the Oscar. Nolan really needs to get that DGA win if he still wants to be in the race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Who ever wins the DGA will be the one i think will win the Oscar

Andrewsart.etsy.com

Check out my online store 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

By that logic you mean if someone wins the DGA and lost all the pre-Oscars like BFCA, Globe, BAFTA,… then he will win Oscar ?

I doubt it. Ben Affleck used to swept all the pre Oscar award from DGA to BAFTA, GG, BFCA,… but he was still shockingly snubbed, for a fecking nomination, for Argo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Roboto
    Participant
    Topics:

By that logic you mean if someone wins the DGA and lost all the pre-Oscars like BFCA, Globe, BAFTA,… then he will win Oscar ? I doubt it. Ben Affleck used to swept all the pre Oscar award from DGA to BAFTA, GG, BFCA,… but he was still shockingly snubbed, for a fecking nomination, for Argo.

It happened in the example you used in your original post with Linklater and Innaritu? And again with Fincher and Hooper.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aryan Varma
    Participant
    Topics:

By that logic you mean if someone wins the DGA and lost all the pre-Oscars like BFCA, Globe, BAFTA,… then he will win Oscar ?

I doubt it. Ben Affleck used to swept all the pre Oscar award from DGA to BAFTA, GG, BFCA,… but he was still shockingly snubbed, for a fecking nomination, for Argo.

Ben Affleck wasn’t nominated. If he was, he would have won.

If you are an Oscar nominee and lose out on all the precursors except DGA, the Oscar is yours.

David Fincher won at BAFTA, Golden Globe, and Critics Choice, but he lost out on DGA, which went to Tom Hooper, who ended up winning the Oscar.

Likewise, Richard Linklater won at BAFTA, Golden Globe, and Critics Choice, but lost out on DGA. DGA winner Alejandro G. Iñárittu ended up winning the Oscar.

Nolan probably will win at BAFTA. If he wins at DGA, then the Oscar is his. A Golden Globe and Critics Choice winner will be no threat to a DGA and BAFTA winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

They are the real contenders and which one of them wins the DGA will win the Oscar.

del Toro is a sweet and likable person, compared to Nolan’s snobbish attitude so he probably has a better chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

My bad, i thought that Linklater won the DGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    I Am The Night
    Participant
    Topics:

I Am The Night wrote:
    Andrew D wrote:
    By that logic you mean if someone wins the DGA and lost all the pre-Oscars like BFCA, Globe, BAFTA,… then he will win Oscar ? I doubt it. Ben Affleck used to swept all the pre Oscar award from DGA to BAFTA, GG, BFCA,… but he was still shockingly snubbed, for a fecking nomination, for Argo.
    Ben Affleck wasn’t nominated. If he was, he would have won. If you are an Oscar nominee and lose out on all the precursors except DGA, the Oscar is yours. David Fincher won at BAFTA, Golden Globe, and Critics Choice, but he lost out on DGA, which went to Tom Hooper, who ended up winning the Oscar. Likewise, Richard Linklater won at BAFTA, Golden Globe, and Critics Choice, but lost out on DGA. DGA winner Alejandro G. Iñárittu ended up winning the Oscar. Nolan probably will win at BAFTA. If he wins at DGA, then the Oscar is his. A Golden Globe and Critics Choice winner will be no threat to a DGA and BAFTA winner.

that’s my point. Ben Affleck did win the DGA. In addition, he also won almost every pre-Oscar award for direction. With all of that, he still couldnt manage to get a nomination. So the claim that “DGA winners will get the Oscar” is not completely accurate.

They are the real contenders and which one of them wins the DGA will win the Oscar. del Toro is a sweet and likable person, compared to Nolan’s snobbish attitude so he probably has a better chance.

snobbish ? I would say he’s a bit too serious and old-fashioned. The guy doesnt even have a cellphone. He’s just reserved, not snobbish.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

snobbish ? I would say he’s a bit too serious and old-fashioned. The guy doesnt even have a cellphone. He’s just reserved, not snobbish.

Maybe he is, but it comes off as snobbish. And I didn’t mean it as an insult, just wanted to point out one of the main criticisms I’ve seen about him online. If it was up to me he’d win in a landslide but I, unfortunately, do not see him winning over the voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Del Toro is a lock. He could lose Bafta to Nolan due solely to British national pride, but he is winning DGA for sure and then the Oscar. His film has is the more heartfelt and human, a technically impressive film like Dunkirk, with far more colorful and showy production design and Costumes, giving him the clear edge in my book.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.