Home Forums Movies Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
KaRol
Atypical
CuriousHedgehog
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

My Octopus Teacher winning BAFTA is the biggest lock of the ceremony (They longlisted the film for Best Director, for heaven’s sake). It will probably win DGA and PGA as well. I’ll be really surprised if it doesn’t win the Oscar as well. The branch hates mainstream things and nature docs. MOT is literally both and still got nominated.

I think A Concerto is a Conversation will prevail over Latasha. A Concerto is a Conversation is more Oscar-ish and it has a happy/optimistic point of view. Latasha is bolder and A Concerto is a Conversation is just the Green Book of short movies.

I’m pissed they snubbed Abortion Helpline, This is Lisa. They had to do it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Documentary Short Subject updates:

“A Love Song for Latasha” is streaming on Netflix.

“Colette” is streaming on Guardian site.

“A Concerto Is a Conversation” is streaming on NY Times site.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Golden Girl
    Topics:

I have seen all of the documentary shorts. While all are excellent and important, I  found “Hunger Ward” and “Colette” to be the most deeply effecting. I’ve had good instincts when it comes to shorts in the recent past. I’ve been 3/3 for the past 2 years in a row (since I’ve started making an effort to watch as many shorts as possible), so my gut wants to pick one of these two… But I could definitely also see A Love Song for Latasha winning as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

A Concerto is a Conversation is just the Green Book of short movies.

funny you said that when the director/subject matter is the composer of Green Book lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

– Hunger Ward is on Pluto TV. I just saw and had I not been so moved by ”Split”, it would be my choice fo Doc Short. I think the ending and that point about the US can, actually, help them as a statement. It’s really good.

My ranking for Documentary Short:

1. Do Not Split
    2. Hunger Ward
    3. Colette
    4. A Love Song for Latasha
    5. A Concerto is a Conversation

I really hope Concerto doesn’t win.

I also watched ”The Letter Room” and like, not a lot, but it has a good message, its beautifuly done and Isaac is such a star.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

Palestinian-British filmmaker Farah Nabulsi’s directorial debut  The Present, nominated for the 93rd Academy Awards for Best Live Action Short Film category, will be streaming exclusively on Netflix on March 18, 2021.

The Present is debuting globally on Netflix (except the UK & Japan) and will be available in Arabic with English subtitles.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Golden Girl
    Topics:

– Hunger Ward is on Pluto TV. I just saw and had I not been so moved by ”Split”, it would be my choice fo Doc Short. I think the ending and that point about the US can, actually, help them as a statement. It’s really good.

My ranking for Documentary Short:

1. Do Not Split
    2. Hunger Ward
    3. Colette
    4. A Love Song for Latasha

I really hope Concerto doesn’t win.

I also thought “Do Not Split” was a particularly moving and relevant film. I just wonder if they’re really willing to go for it. I also agree that “A Concerto is a Conversation” was the weakest over all. I’m currently predicting “Hunger Ward.” It was a gut punch and a call to action, which I feel like anyone will emphasize with and wish to promote to create crucial change.

My current predictions stand as follows:
    1. Hunger Ward
    2. Colette
    3. A Love Song for Latasha
    4. Do Not Split

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Feeling Through” in currently on YouTube. It’s … slight. I’m surprised it was nominated, TBH. Moving and sentimental short film, for sure, but slight all the same. The other four nominees seem more substantial with no real comedic standouts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

“Feeling Through” in currently on YouTube. It’s … slight. I’m surprised it was nominated, TBH. Moving and sentimental short film, for sure, but slight all the same. The other four nominees seem more substantial with no real comedic standouts.

I thought it was really cheesy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

Where have you watched them? I’m looking forward to see those nominees:

Best Documentary Short Subject:
    Hunger Ward

Best Live Action Short Film:
    The Present
    Two Distant Strangers

Best Animated Short Film:
    Genius Loci
    Opera
    Yes-People

But can’t find them anywhere to rent, buy or watch free.

Genius Loci: https://vimeo.com/516634598/97c1a9fa58/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I watched Feeling Through and it feels Oscar-y to me? Just something about it doesn’t feel shocking to me. I didn’t like A Concerto is a Conversation, I liked exploring the history aspect of the documentary, but the actual music part I honestly didn’t care about.

I saw Abortion Hotline, This is Lisa being snubbed. It was okay, but it needed to be longer in my opinion. Honestly, anything that isn’t Concerto can win, the other 4 were really strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ruby Sparks
    Topics:

Firstly, I should probably state that I’m LGBT. Now, I’m probably in the minority here where I preferred Burrow to Out.

As a queer person myself, I’m inclined to agree. There’s a sense of whimsy + emotion in Burrow that isn’t in Out. But also, as a queer person, I just want more queer narratives to be recognized by the Oscars!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

That’s the reason I didn’t predict it lol. Content is touching, but production looks so mediocre.

Kicksled Choir or Da Yie deserved better than it.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

Palestinian-British filmmaker Farah Nabulsi’s directorial debut The Present, nominated for the 93rd Academy Awards for Best Live Action Short Film category, will be streaming exclusively on Netflix on March 18, 2021.

The Present is debuting globally on Netflix (except the UK & Japan) and will be available in Arabic with English subtitles.

I have just finished watching it. can’t see it winning as it’s quite decent and … Israelis aren’t exactly likeable in this Palestinian short.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.