Home Forums Movies Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
KaRol
Atypical
CuriousHedgehog
  • Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

That’s the reason I didn’t predict it lol. Content is touching, but production looks so mediocre. Kicksled Choir or Da Yie deserved better than it.

Kicksled Choir definitely didnt deserve to be nominated imo. Resolution wasn’t satisfying in the slightest considering the context.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

i’ve just finshed watching all of the short documentaries nominated. I think animated short & live action short lineup is much stronger this year.

Colette – the story felt quite emotionless to me me although I was expecting something better from it after its premise was sketched during first minutes. the girl was just trying to have her project fulfilled and Colette wasn’t actually deeply connected to her brother, so her visit to the concentration camp didn’t really hit any emotional notes[SPOIL] apart from “I didn’t bring flowers”[/SPOIL]. In the end I couldn’t really figured out the reason this doc was made apart from the girl trying to gain her own benefits. rating: 5/10

A Concerto Is a Conversation – I didn’t know it will feature Kris Bowers. I thought it was fine but same as with Colette I couldn’t figure out why this doc was made. Also what does this concerto really has to do with story of Bowers’ granddad? As this feature quite well-known artist, its premise tells “the conecerto is Bowers’ conversation with his grandfather” and granddad’s story is compatible with BLM – it has a great chance to win. rating: 6/10

Do Not Split – I love when documentaries tell stories about present world I have not heard about till watching them. I honestly didn’t know what was happening in Hong Kong. Just terrible what is happening with this world. I exactly knew why this doc was made, but becuase of coronavirus I do not think the short has proper ending apart from what we learn during end titles about the legislative act. rating: 6/10

Hunger Ward – I watched it on Pluto TV, so it was interrupted by commercials. It was pretty bizzare to watch a doc about children malnutrition in Yemen interrupted by McDonalds’ commercials 😉 This doc has the most important story to tell, but also quite painful to watch. THe female doctors are the nowadays heroes. This doc gives some hope [SPOIL]showing one of the girls leaving the hospital[/SPOIL] but the end titles pointing out the United States part in the misery of Yemen people can be problematic with American Academy voters. rating: 6/10

A Love Song for Latasha – this one was quite artistic in its storytelling and visuals, more of a paradocument. I didn’t know the story – just horrible. Same as with A Concerto Is a Conversation, this doc is much in line with BLM, so it has a chance. rating: 6/10

Looking at past winners in this category and what voters usually look for in documentaries (stories that give hope or sth from their artistic yard), I think this is between Hunger Ward (the longest short in this lineup about heroes trying to save children during wartime) and Concerto Is a Conversation (the shortest short in this linenup about Afroamerican succeeding in his life that happens to be connected to “one of them”).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheBrainBug
    Topics:

Finished watching all 15. Doco short is tough. Predictions:

Live Action Short

1. Two Distant Strangers (will win easily IMO)

2. The Present

3. The Letter Room

4. White Eye

5. Feeling Through

Animated Short

1. If Anything Happens I Love You

2. Burrow (could win)

3. Opera

4. Genius Loci

5. Yes-People

Doc Short (any of the five could win and my order is rather pointless as it’s very close)

1. Hunger Ward

2. A Concerto is a Conversation

3. A Love Song for Latasha

4. Do Not Split

5. Collette

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

i’ve just finshed watching all of the animated shorts nominated. my thoughts below (i’m not an expert in this field).

Burrow – the story was really engaging since the beginning. very lovely ending, accurate message for out times (being together is our greatest strength, helping each other, etc.). rating: 7/10

Genius Loci – this felt very artistic & interesting at the same time. there is some story that is quite hard to figure out, but you succeed with getting it when the short ends. i don’t see any chance of it winning though. rating: 6/10

If Anything Happens I Love You – simply illustrated, with a very overwhelming story and a simple & touching ending. rating: 7/10

Opera – artistic & intriguing. there is no story, just guessing what is it about. i don’t see any chance of it winning. rating: 5/10

Yes-People – very basic story & animation. rating: 5/10

Looking at past winners in this category and what voters usually look for in animated shorts, I think this is between Burrow and If Anything Happens I Love You, so this is between Pixar and Netflix.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

i’ve just finshed watching all of the live action shorts nominated this year. my thoughts below.

Feeling Through – i found the story to be very tendentious & manipulative, which means it has a great chance to win. rating: 7/10.

The Letter Room – the story seemed interesting, it has a major star in it, but 1 week after watching this, i really don’t remember its message… rating: 6/10.

The Present – a good story, but showing Israelis as the bad guys will not help it win Oscar, yes? rating: 6/10.

Two Distant Strangers – this started interesting, but got quite frustrating after 10 minutes. the ending doesn’t have the ingredients that will help it garner enough votes to win. but it has BLM written all over it, so who knows… rating: 6/10.

White Eye – this one ended up to be my favorite in this lineup… the message is strong: we sometimes think too much of ourselves and our needs and troubles that we are too blind to see other people and real needs and real troubles. rating: 7/10.

i would say this is between Feeling Through and White Eye as those two movies seemed to be the most “complete” and well-thought to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I’m trying to make more of an effort to watch the Shorts this year and just watched Two Distant Strangers to start.

I won’t be surprised at all if it wins, but is it just me or is this film really underwhelming? It felt like such a jarring tone to take given the themes and I also thought the story was really contrived after the first 5 minutes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nickyboy
    Topics:

Hey guys, statistically speaking, what is the hardest between these categories to predict each year? Thoughts? Thanks

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

I’m going with If Anything Happens I Love You, Two Distant Strangers and A Love Song for Latasha. They all seem  pretty safe for the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    restlessmao
    Topics:

Hunger Ward – I watched it on Pluto TV, so it was interrupted by commercials. It was pretty bizzare to watch a doc about children malnutrition in Yemen interrupted by McDonalds’ commercials 😉 

LOL, I had the same experience. The ads were super annoying.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    restlessmao
    Topics:

I won’t be surprised at all if it wins, but is it just me or is this film really underwhelming? It felt like such a jarring tone to take given the themes and I also thought the story was really contrived after the first 5 minutes.

Same here. It’s my least favorite of the bunch. The message is important and timely. But the execution is so bad. The script is contrived as you said and the acting is soap-opera-like. It’s probably not fair comparing it to A Love Song for Latasha, which is a doc, but it is much more genuine and touching BLM short.

My personal ranking for the live-action shorts is White Eye > The Letter Room > The Present > Feeling Through > Two Distant Strangers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

I usually love watching these and sad this year’s pack is so weak.

lemme start with live-action
    1. The Present – Felt genuine emotional and well built. Took us to feel the struggle of a somewhat regular activity in real time. And look, a film sympathetic with Palestine that US didnt ignore. Top of the list by far.
    2. White Eye – Liked the no cut direction and actually built tension again from a frivolous sentiment from the one who started it. Quite a dip from the present tho.
    3. Two Distant Strangers – Yeah, the baity one. It strikes easily but I’m getting tired of those time repeating things. Can engage audiences so I think it’s winning.
    4. The Letter Room – This one is nomd for Oscar Isaac i suppose? That one was kinda stupid but it gave me few laughs for the quirky.
    5. Feeling Through – Def expected more from this subject. But every production dealing with ableism needs to go on the saviour route. Too bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Doc Short

1. A Love Song To Natasha – Gorgeous images that felt a genuine tribute from those who knew her. Wasn’t too gloomy and valued the represented Subject. Netflix is behin this so winning by a landslide.
    2. Do Not Split – Feeling weird on liking a capitalist Hong Kong propaganda that easily but i will admit the film produced incredible images from inside the organizations, first scene is top notch. That gave an intimate feeling and it was interesting their actions needed to stop with pandemic ascention. Oscar shorts usually have a trash-China representative so here it is.
    3. Hunger Ward – The perennial “war in middle east effects”. That was actually very sincere and called out in a brutal way. Closing it with the links in the end was a great touch cause well, it reminded who caused the war in the first place.
    4. Colette – They truly will milk this topic for eternity. Like someone mentioned above, Colette didnt seem too interested on the search itself. Def too much of a newspaper article. Which is what it is lol
    5. A Concerto Is a Conversation – Jesus Christ, these “op-docs” from NYT or whatever need to stop. It’s already a dip from Walk Run Cha Cha last year and that one wasnt good. Very poor direction with the closeup and provided us nothing with the limited time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Animation Short

1. Genius Loci – That was art. Inspired pick and took me on all along. The one I’m most moved from all the ahorts and from nominees in general.
    2. Opera – Also refreshing. Funny to see this many times and catch all the glimpses. Would also make an interesting winner if ever.
    3. Burrow – Usual Disney cute. Apparently this is from a project they gave with films that were once scrapped. I wished Oscars picked Out as the Disney representative tho
    4. If Anything Happens I Love You – This is obviously winning and I guess thats a Netflix sweep in the short categories? That felt appealing tbh even if it had the best intentions. Can’t say I actually like this. But not the first time they’re going this way with the topic
    5. Yes-People – Ok, I love that Iceland has a nomination, but did it need to be for THIS? The student project all around. At least I sorted some 2 laughs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I finally finished the Live Action Shorts and wow I did not like Two Distant Strangers. Concept did not work for me at all. I felt like all of Live Action Short is underwhelming for me, I don’t feel strong about any of them.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I noticed The Present won the BAFTA for Best British Short Film and obviously that can’t tell us much because no other Oscar nominees were present there. However, has this award ever been remotely predictive? Is there any award that serves as a precursor to these categories? I need all the help I can get.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.