Home Forums Movies Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
KaRol
Atypical
CuriousHedgehog
  • Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

“Skin” was awful. It had no business winning in its lineup. That was a year where the Academy really tried it, culminating in “Green Book” winning BP.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

“Skin” was awful. It had no business winning in its lineup. That was a year where the Academy really tried it, culminating in “Green Book” winning BP.

it’s not always the execution of a movie that enables it to win, but the message in the story that is easy to see and has a universal meaning…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Regardless of which is better (they’re both too bad to be worth debating that imo), Two Distant Strangers is exactly as tone deaf, exploitative and poorly made as you’d expect an awards body that voted for Skin to fall for again. It also has the factor of greater accessibility in its favour.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

it’s not always the execution of a movie that enables it to win, but the message in the story that is easy to see and has a universal meaning…

That has nothing to do nor with “Skin”‘s obnoxious and dangerous implications. Being palatable isn’t the point and doesn’t change it being a poor Oscar winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

That has nothing to do nor with “Skin”‘s obnoxious and dangerous implications. Being palatable isn’t the point and doesn’t change it being a poor Oscar winner.

I think I got lost during this exchange of messages with you 😉
    Of course, English is not my first language so I may sometimes misunderstand some things, but you wrote “It (Skin) had no business winning in its lineup”.
    If I understand your sentence correctly – I think “it had business” cause it was about something and this is what usually Academy voters look for, no?

as a “whole package”, it had no business winning Oscar in that lineup – according to our definition of “best”, yes.
    but as a short with a message, in my opinion it definetely had businnes winning the Oscar as this is what usually Oscar voters look for, no?

you mentioned Roma and Green Book, and it is quite similar… as a “whole package” Roma was better, but as movie with message – Green Book definetely deserved to win.

I think it just comes to what Academy voters think is their definition of “best in the lineup”.

Out of curiosity, what was your favorite live action short nominated that year and for what reasons? 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

No. There is nothing cinematic or challenging that Green Book presents with its message that is even remotely interesting or new that has already been forgotten as every year passes.

“Remotely interesting”?

I thought the message of Green Book was to reminds us of how not to succumb to the stereotypes and prejudices that reign in our societies; how important it is to be open to other people; how we can draw from each other’s experiences, cultures and learn something about ourselves.
    Regardless of how you want to divide us according to age, race, sex, religion, sexual preferences or senses, etc., in fact, we are all the same – we are ruled by the same emotions/feelings as love, happiness, fear, pain, loneliness, etc.
    In my opinion it had similar message to “The Shape Of Water” and during Trump’s reign it was really important and timeful to remind people that all the differences that some crazy folk is drawing around us – are false and they need to be overthrown…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

Again the message is universal but the execution is done in a poor manner that reflects White savorism and still does not challenge our ideas of racial injustice since it is a feel good body movie about a White man befriending a Black man. Blackkklansman perhaps challenged the Academy’s perception on race too much as the ending was polarizing to many members. But nothing new about race is diverted from the mediocre Green Book film which does not have any particular fascinating craftsmanship to the film, suggesting it is a shallow poorly made film that exasperated the desperation of awards glory. It was snubbed for Best Director for a reason.

But the execution (by which, I mean trule artistic execution, not a movie packed with CGI, costumes, etc.) does not matter that much when winning Oscars… If it mattered, Roma would have won. That was not the point of my post 🙂
    I mentioned it in some of my previous post: “it’s not always the execution of a movie that enables it to win, but the message in the story that is easy to see and has a universal meaning (to Academy voters)”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

Again the message is universal but the execution is done in a poor manner that reflects White savorism and still does not challenge our ideas of racial injustice since it is a feel good body movie about a White man befriending a Black man. Blackkklansman perhaps challenged the Academy’s perception on race too much as the ending was polarizing to many members. But nothing new about race is diverted from the mediocre Green Book film which does not have any particular fascinating craftsmanship to the film, suggesting it is a shallow poorly made film that exasperated the desperation of awards glory. It was snubbed for Best Director for a reason.

I see from your other posts, that you are concentrating on “race” the most when discussing not neccesserily related matters, so I am really interested – of course, if you have seen it – in your opinion on Two Distant Strangers? its execution, message? is there any message at all apart from “white will always harras black people”?
    Thanks in advance for sharing 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheBrainBug
    Topics:

Two Distant Strangers is on the nose to many but it did win the African American Film Critics Association Best Short award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

As a Black woman, race is a topic that I have to include myself in because the topics surrounding the shorts obviously involve me and my people. The shorts and Green Book are related to race whether you like it or not.

I do not think we need to see everything as related to race. In Green Book (apart from its origin story), Mahershala Ali’s character could have been homosexual, Jewish or Chinese, muslim or buddist, handicapped, etc. while its message – in my opinion – would still be universal: we are all basically the same human beings, despite of our differences. I know this message is trivial, but people need to be educated constantly, so basic movies like these are needed (that can garner the attention of larger audience). We need to repeat things like “we are all the same”, “do not play with fire”, “wash your hands after taking a pee”, ’cause some people need to hear sth for the 1000th time to understand it and behave accordingly…

And in Skin I saw one message: our children are what we taught them to be. The white boy killed his “black-tattooed father” because this was his father’s legacy to him: hatred toward different people. While the execution of this short got my 5/10 on IMDb, the message it had was – in my opinion – worth supporting, even by giving it the Oscar, so more people would see it.
    We will not change anything in this world if we will not start with ourselves, giving better examples to our children being the next generation, etc.

I do not live in the US, so I do not know how it is for you to be a black person there (or anywhere you live), but as a person that does not meet “heterosexual” definition, living in post-communist European country, which ancestors were the targets of Nazi concentration camps – I think I can know just a little bit about being “outsider” in the community… so I support every minority fight for being treated as it should not even be questioned in the first place: equal.

I would really love to hear your opinion on Two Distant Strangers… I actually think you can agree the execution of this short not being the best, but the message it has is quite harsh: some things just cannot change…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

in the midst of this heated discussion,

I thought Burrow was nice.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC:
    The Great
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Severance
    The Batman

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

in the midst of this heated discussion,

I thought Burrow was nice.

it was so cute and with accurate message for our times (being together is our greatest strength, helping each other, etc.).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

I think I got lost during this exchange of messages with you 😉
    Of course, English is not my first language so I may sometimes misunderstand some things, but you wrote “It (Skin) had no business winning in its lineup”.
    If I understand your sentence correctly – I think “it had business” cause it was about something and this is what usually Academy voters look for, no?

as a “whole package”, it had no business winning Oscar in that lineup – according to our definition of “best”, yes.
    but as a short with a message, in my opinion it definetely had businnes winning the Oscar as this is what usually Oscar voters look for, no?

you mentioned Roma and Green Book, and it is quite similar… as a “whole package” Roma was better, but as movie with message – Green Book definetely deserved to win.

I think it just comes to what Academy voters think is their definition of “best in the lineup”.

Out of curiosity, what was your favorite live action short nominated that year and for what reasons? 🙂

Not going to continue arguing with you on the matter. “Skin” was a vile, reprehensible short that shouldn’t have won the Oscar. My view isn’t changing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KaRol
    Topics:

Not going to continue arguing with you on the matter. “Skin” was a vile, reprehensible short that shouldn’t have won the Oscar. My view isn’t changing..svg” class=”emoji”

I am not “arguing” with you… if by “arguing” you mean “fighting” or sth 😉
    I thought we were just exchanging our views (with attached argumentation), but it seems your personal strong feelings toward this short’s subject are just disabling any further dicussion. I understand, no problem, but do not attack me again please when there is no real argumentation on your side in the end (why” vile”, why “reprehensible” – it is really interesting to me to know your opinion or is it the same as careymulligan’s? sth about racial injustice? I do wanna understand different views, backed by argumentation, so my view can be enhanced… it is very educational…
    for example, there is one post-communist country in Europe that is all the time angry when someone says “Polish concentration camps”. I thought: why is this the reason to be angry? They were functioning in Poland, right?
    So this Pole guy explained to me that using this words is harmful and sending the wrong message to the world, because soon people will think that the concentration camps were not built and commanded by Nazis, but Polish people… and Polish were as much the victims of the WWII as Jewish or Romanian people…
    I do not know if you follow me on this, but “exchanging the views” can “change the views” 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Maciek Sz
    Topics:

@KaRol, I have learned on this forum to not go into any meritorical discussion about anything slightly related to race as it ends being beyond the substantive issues.
    Skin was OK winner to me, despite its flaws, but by writing it you need to be ready for the anger of black community…
    My 7yrs old son always says while doing various stuff: “I want that!”. When I ask him “why do you want that?”, he replies “I just do”.
    It’s the same with race-related topics here… in the end you are either ignorant or racist without any real reasons.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.