Home Forums Movies Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

Oscar 2021 Predictions: Animated, Documentary and Live Action Shorts

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
KaRol
Atypical
CuriousHedgehog
  • Profile picture
    Skyler Lindquist
    Topics:

I think Two Distant Strangers and If Anything Happens I Love You are awful. Seeing that they’re both frontrunners is a nightmare.

The Documentary Short category won’t be as bad for me, but Latasha and Concerto are my two least favorites. Hoping for upsets.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I was pretty happy enough predicting A Lovesong for Latasha, If Anything Happens I Love You and Two Distant Strangers since they seem safe and baity, until I realised they’re all Netflix and I can’t imagine they’d be able to pull off a sweep of the short film categories. Who do you all see as the weakest of these three? If I had to drop one I think it’d be Two Distant Strangers since it seems the most decisive but with no other front runner I’ve no idea what to replace it with.

Emmy FYC:

Chloë Sevigny in “The Girl From Plainville” and “Russian Doll”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thomasrigours
    Topics:

I was pretty happy enough predicting A Lovesong for Latasha, If Anything Happens I Love You and Two Distant Strangers since they seem safe and baity, until I realised they’re all Netflix and I can’t imagine they’d be able to pull off a sweep of the short film categories. Who do you all see as the weakest of these three? If I had to drop one I think it’d be Two Distant Strangers since it seems the most decisive but with no other front runner I’ve no idea what to replace it with.

A Lovesong for Latasha is the one I dropped. I went with A Concerto is a Conversation but Colette is also win competitive given its very Academy friendly subject.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

FEELING THROUGH is the likely winner IMO. it’s been out on youtube since january and has over 3 M views and has won many awards …moreover, it’s positive and uplifting, featuring a blind/deaf actor, and the voters seem to like those types of shorts with previous winners such as the SILENT CHILD and the STUTTERER

I dont think shorts like TWO DISTANT STRANGERS and LOVESONG FOR NATASHA are tapping into the mood of the voters, quite frankly, cos I think they are burnt out on the BLM political theme and want something less devisive ;as such I think that FEELING THROUGH and A CONCERTO IS A CONVERSATION is the soothing balm for these troubled times

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

FEELING THROUGH is the likely winner IMO. it’s been out on youtube since january and has over 3 M views and has won many awards …moreover, it’s positive and uplifting, featuring a blind/deaf actor, and the voters seem to like those types of shorts with previous winners such as the SILENT CHILD and the STUTTERER

I dont think shorts like TWO DISTANT STRANGERS and LOVESONG FOR NATASHA are tapping into the mood of the voters, quite frankly, cos I think they are burnt out on the BLM political theme and want something less devisive ;as such I think that FEELING THROUGH and A CONCERTO IS A CONVERSATION is the soothing balm for these troubled times

The current sociopolitical climate would be the reasons for “Two Distant Strangers” or “A Love Song for Latasha” winning their respective categories, not against. “Feeling Through” is super-slight and treacly, and I think voters will see right through it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

The current sociopolitical climate would be the reasons for “Two Distant Strangers” or “A Love Song for Latasha” winning their respective categories, not against.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Surely voters who like one of them will watch and then choose both for their similar themes, and potentially also If Anything Happens I Love You. It would be interesting to see such a strong connection between the winning shorts, I can’t remember that happening before.

EDIT: The one caveat I have with these categories is that I’m sceptical about Netflix winning all 3 for the first time. I’m 99% sure I’ll still predict it though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

FEELING THROUGH is the likely winner IMO. it’s been out on youtube since january and has over 3 M views and has won many awards …moreover, it’s positive and uplifting, featuring a blind/deaf actor, and the voters seem to like those types of shorts with previous winners such as the SILENT CHILD and the STUTTERER I dont think shorts like TWO DISTANT STRANGERS and LOVESONG FOR NATASHA are tapping into the mood of the voters, quite frankly, cos I think they are burnt out on the BLM political theme and want something less devisive ;as such I think that FEELING THROUGH and A CONCERTO IS A CONVERSATION is the soothing balm for these troubled times

After this week’s events I think Distant Strangers and Love Song for Latasha look like probable winners. They reflect the times. The Oscars are fairly political.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

Feeling Through is the very likely winner for a number of reasons

1/ It’s been out since January and has over 3.4M views on Youtube and has had a lot of coverage on the MSM

2/ It has an uplifting, conciliatory and inspiring theme that fits the mood of the country after the defeat of tRump and the end of the Chauvin trial .. a soothing balm

3/ It has a blind/ deaf actor and the voters from past history like those types of shorts as can be seen with previous winners such as The Silent Child and The Stutterer

4/ The shorts category are volatile and very vulnerable to upsets ; moreover, there are two frontrunners who are vote splitting, thereby leaving the opportunity for a third to ”feel through ”

5 / Gold Derby’s Tareq Khan, who is often a reliable ”expert” on the short categories, says he’s 85% sure than Feeling Through will win !

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

The current sociopolitical climate would be the reasons for “Two Distant Strangers” or “A Love Song for Latasha” winning their respective categories, not against. “Feeling Through” is super-slight and treacly, and I think voters will see right through it.

[/quote
    —————————————-

Well then, if the ”social-political climate” is conducive for Strangers and Latasha then why is Chicago 7 doing so badly as it’s clearly the most political / zeitgeist movie of them all ? It should be a barometer on just how political the voters really are . The fact is that the mood of the country and the voters has moved on after the defeat of TRump and the Derik Chauvin trial ; they are tired and burnt out with the B-L-M Agi-prop and want something more conciliatory

Moreover, even though the voter pool has changed over the last 4 years the average voter is not a 20 something ”woke” Leftist ; they are much more mature minded than that and will not go for Two Distant Strangers . Maybe Oscar Isaac can drag The Letter Room over the line but that seems too lightweight to me with zero passion

I remember they went for ”Skin” a few years ago that was Leftist propaganda but I doubt (hope) they wont go that route again

AFter watching ”Feeling Through” it is somewhat lightweight but I think it captures the mood of the country better than the others

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

Many voters often don’t watch the shorts before voting for a high profile one but this year could be different with folks being under virtual house arrest due to the pandemic and with a lot of time on their hands ; this will really benefit Feeling Through IMO

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

[/quote
    —————————————-

Well then, if the ”social-political climate” is conducive for Strangers and Latasha then why is Chicago 7 doing so badly as it’s clearly the most political / zeitgeist movie of them all ? It should be a barometer on just how political the voters really are . The fact is that the mood of the country and the voters has moved on after the defeat of TRump and the Derik Chauvin trial ; they are tired and burnt out with the B-L-M Agi-prop and want something more conciliatory

Moreover, even though the voter pool has changed over the last 4 years the average voter is not a 20 something ”woke” Leftist ; they are much more mature minded than that and will not go for Two Distant Strangers . Maybe Oscar Isaac can drag The Letter Room over the line but that seems too lightweight to me with zero passion

I remember they went for ”Skin” a few years ago that was Leftist propaganda but I doubt (hope) they wont go that route again

AFter watching ”Feeling Through” it is somewhat lightweight but I think it captures the mood of the country better than the others

“BLM agitprop” tells me all I need to know about you. Predict whatever the hell you want, and I’ll do the same.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Pollo crudo
    Topics:

People, just remember the Academy is not that political with short films, they have enough with the feature film categories. Here they usually go with the emotional and visually closer to a film with the live action, the cutest with the animated and the most uplifting even if the subject matter is depressing at its core with the docs. Forget about BLM or immigration or whatever. The don’t like gimmicks either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Colin Powis
    Topics:

Two Distant Strangers is gimmicky too ; a BLM rip off of an earlier Twilight Zone episode .. it even promotes outright lies in the final credits by claiming ”George Floyd was only going to a grocery store ”

HAHA he was engaging in criminal activity by passing off counterfeit $20 Bills , but don’t let the facts get in the way of a blatant piece of propaganda

This type of crap is exactly why Hollywood is losing its ratings cos normal people don’t want to be spoon -fed propaganda

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Two Distant Strangers is gimmicky too ; a BLM rip off of an earlier Twilight Zone episode .. it even promotes outright lies in the final credits by claiming ”George Floyd was only going to a grocery store ” HAHA he was engaging in criminal activity by passing off counterfeit $20 Bills , but don’t let the facts get in the way of a blatant piece of propaganda This type of crap is exactly why Hollywood is losing its ratings cos normal people don’t want to be spoon -fed propaganda

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.